Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just stumbled on this thread. Top one, will post heaps in this.

Last 12 months or so I have really increased my running.

Did my first half mara at the Great Ocean Road event. Really great mental challenge.

Have been battling an ankle injury for the best part of nine weeks now, which meant I hadn't run for six weeks leading into the Half Mara. Was happy to finish in 2hr 13min, didn't walk either.

Was Feeling fantastic at the 16km mark, but condition in my legs and ankle deteriorated very quickly after that point.

Anyway, been to the physio and today he told me I'm still another 2 weeks away from running again which is a real pain as I am really missing it.

Going to be tough getting back to fitness after only having one run in about 3 months.

Really been getting into this over the past few weeks. I've always stayed fairly active through playing footy and cricket, but never been into the whole running for running's sake thing. Started a few weeks ago doing a 2km course I set for myself in about 9:30, and now hitting at least 5kms in less than 28 mins. Now running every day after work and loving it. Usually call it a day after about 35 mins of continuous running.

Anyway, I came in to ask a question. Do you guys find that some days you are just 'on' and could run forever? On Monday night I set off for a 5km run, ended up doing 11.6km in 1hr:7mins and could have easily kept going for another 20 mins I think. I've tried to match this over the past few days but no luck. Was it a fluke or do these things take a while to work up to again?

Anyway, I came in to ask a question. Do you guys find that some days you are just 'on' and could run forever? On Monday night I set off for a 5km run, ended up doing 11.6km in 1hr:7mins and could have easily kept going for another 20 mins I think. I've tried to match this over the past few days but no luck. Was it a fluke or do these things make a while to work up to again?

I reckon some days you are just on. For me I've found running to be a largely mental things. There are some days where I'm dying and will push through and there are other days when I'm just puffing and want to stop.

The great news is you've done it once! There is no reason why you can't do it again :)

Really been getting into this over the past few weeks. I've always stayed fairly active through playing footy and cricket, but never been into the whole running for running's sake thing. Started a few weeks ago doing a 2km course I set for myself in about 9:30, and now hitting at least 5kms in less than 28 mins. Now running every day after work and loving it. Usually call it a day after about 35 mins of continuous running.

Anyway, I came in to ask a question. Do you guys find that some days you are just 'on' and could run forever? On Monday night I set off for a 5km run, ended up doing 11.6km in 1hr:7mins and could have easily kept going for another 20 mins I think. I've tried to match this over the past few days but no luck. Was it a fluke or do these things take a while to work up to again?

I don't think it's a fluke. It'll be your body reacting to the training. Becoming more efficient with its energy use etc...I reckon the days were you are really battling and still manage to achieve what you set out to achieve are the most rewarding though.

As for repeating the effort, are you training for anything in particular? Are you gunning for longer distances? Quicker times over shorter distances? Or just running for the love of it? If you want to improve, set yourself a goal and work out a plan that will get you there. Running the same route, at the same speed, day after day, your body will get comfortable and you will eventually plateau and the improvement will stop.

On Monday night I set off for a 5km run, ended up doing 11.6km in 1hr:7mins and could have easily kept going for another 20 mins I think. I've tried to match this over the past few days but no luck. Was it a fluke or do these things take a while to work up to again?
Yeah some days everything just clicks, but it's a lot to do with the mental side too.

If I were you, I'd get a running schedule going and stick to that, instead of doing 5kms then jumping to a 12km.

This week I'm doing 8-6-8-rest-6-12 for a total of 40km.

I reckon the days were you are really battling and still manage to achieve what you set out to achieve are the most rewarding though.

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes you feel like you've boarded the bus to struggle town only to find you achieved or bettered your goal. Feels like a great reward for effort.

If you want to improve, set yourself a goal and work out a plan that will get you there. Running the same route, at the same speed, day after day, your body will get comfortable and you will eventually plateau and the improvement will stop.

Very true.

I reckon some days you are just on. For me I've found running to be a largely mental things. There are some days where I'm dying and will push through and there are other days when I'm just puffing and want to stop.

The great news is you've done it once! There is no reason why you can't do it again :)

I don't think it's a fluke. It'll be your body reacting to the training. Becoming more efficient with its energy use etc...I reckon the days were you are really battling and still manage to achieve what you set out to achieve are the most rewarding though.

As for repeating the effort, are you training for anything in particular? Are you gunning for longer distances? Quicker times over shorter distances? Or just running for the love of it? If you want to improve, set yourself a goal and work out a plan that will get you there. Running the same route, at the same speed, day after day, your body will get comfortable and you will eventually plateau and the improvement will stop.

Yeah some days everything just clicks, but it's a lot to do with the mental side too.

If I were you, I'd get a running schedule going and stick to that, instead of doing 5kms then jumping to a 12km.

This week I'm doing 8-6-8-rest-6-12 for a total of 40km.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm new to this so not really sure how to structure my training. Not training for anything in particular, but started running three weeks ago (after browsing this thread randomly) and am loving it. I've now got my eyes set on some 10km events and maybe even the Gold Coast (half) Marathon.

Happy to report the other day wasn't a fluke. Shattered my best tonight, went for an hour and 39 minutes, and covered 15.5km. I'm not too fussed about distances, but am stoked to run for so long continuously. Could have kept going too, but was already late for dinner!

Interesting to note this was the first time I've run white listening to music (pumped out the first two Oasis albums). I found it made the time pass rather quickly but my iPod jangling around in my pocket took some getting used to. I'll probably keep doing it. I didn't run yesterday and felt I was fresher at the start as a result (my first few 100m are usually agony). So a few interesting variables there.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm new to this so not really sure how to structure my training. Not training for anything in particular, but started running three weeks ago (after browsing this thread randomly) and am loving it. I've now got my eyes set on some 10km events and maybe even the Gold Coast (half) Marathon.

Happy to report the other day wasn't a fluke. Shattered my best tonight, went for an hour and 39 minutes, and covered 15.5km. I'm not too fussed about distances, but am stoked to run for so long continuously. Could have kept going too, but was already late for dinner!

Interesting to note this was the first time I've run white listening to music (pumped out the first two Oasis albums). I found it made the time pass rather quickly but my iPod jangling around in my pocket took some getting used to. I'll probably keep doing it. I didn't run yesterday and felt I was fresher at the start as a result (my first few 100m are usually agony). So a few interesting variables there.
reddit.com/r/running are helpful if you need any help with structure or set up of your training. Especially the live chat, they can help you ASAP.

I've gone the other way. I am now avoiding music. Without music I can find a better rhythm, listen to my breathing, listen to how hard my feet are hitting the ground. I also find without music my mind is free to wander. It's amazing what pops into the head. I have a 14 month old daughter and found myself singing some of her silly kids shows theme songs for about 45 minutes!

I do take music with me on the long runs and put it on for the last 7-10kms. Smashed out 32kms on Saturday and put the headphones in at the 22km mark and it does work as a distraction to the pain.

Smashed out 32kms on Saturday and put the headphones in at the 22km mark and it does work as a distraction to the pain.

Wow. I did 19.3km Sunday (1:43:20) and my body seriously stopped at the end. Or at least my legs did. Breathing was great and no pain as such in the legs but the stiffness through the quads, lower back, glutes etc through those last 3-4 kms got to the point that I felt completely seized. I have pulled up quite well though so hopefully it's just my body adapting to the longer distances. Only 6 weeks now to the HM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. I did 19.3km Sunday (1:43:20) and my body seriously stopped at the end. Or at least my legs did. Breathing was great and no pain as such in the legs but the stiffness through the quads, lower back, glutes etc through those last 3-4 kms got to the point that I felt completely seized. I have pulled up quite well though so hopefully it's just my body adapting to the longer distances. Only 6 weeks now to the HM.

I couldn't walk after my first 17km effort a few months back...it's amazing how the human body adapts

Training has hit a minor snag...got 5km into my 16k run on Sunday and for the first time had to pull up. Sharp pain up and down my right leg on every impact, not good. Granted I did a 10k max effort on Saturday, so hoping it's just a bit of fatigue. But just to be cautious it's back on the bike for the next week or so to let the legs rest up and recover...luckily it's still 4 months til the Melbourne Marathon so plenty of time for healing and ramping up training again...

That's no good WR. I'm a little the same actually. Pumped out a max effort 8km Thursday but couldn't get up for my 2 long easy runs over the weekend. Lower back tightness and general fatigue seem to have set in. Hopefully just a bit of a bug but all over body soreness and tiredness set in.

I'm 5 weeks out from my HM so hopefully things pick up again later this week.

I've got a knee injury too. Very frustrating stuff and I'm trying to power through it, but I'm seeing the doctor today to get some more insight.

Upped my max run to 13km on Saturday.

Set a new longest run for myself on Friday night, 18.4km up from 15.5, so pretty happy with that. My knees gave me hell all weekend, especially through my cricket game on Saturday. They feel fine now after a few days rest. Having blister trouble too, very frustrating.

I've set myself a bit of a routine: 5km at pace Mon, Tues and Thurs (26-28 mins), 10km easy Wed (58-62 mins) and Friday just go for as long as I can/feel like it. Taking weekends off for sport and trying not to fatigue or injure myself.

Cool thread, I've just gotten in to running in recent times as part of my weight loss challenge.. and then my trainer entered me in this years Melb Half Marathon.

Needless to say I'm shitting myself, but training away at it ever so slightly so will read this thread with interest.

Set a new longest run for myself on Friday night, 18.4km up from 15.5, so pretty happy with that. My knees gave me hell all weekend, especially through my cricket game on Saturday. They feel fine now after a few days rest. Having blister trouble too, very frustrating.

I've set myself a bit of a routine: 5km at pace Mon, Tues and Thurs (26-28 mins), 10km easy Wed (58-62 mins) and Friday just go for as long as I can/feel like it. Taking weekends off for sport and trying not to fatigue or injure myself.

That's a lot of running...what was your previous routine? if you're going from 1 or 2 runs per week up to 5 runs per week, just be careful you don't injure yourself. Try to apply the 10% rule. I didn't, and now I'm having to take a week or two off to recover!

Anyone able to recommend a good GPS HRM without breaking the bank?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GARM...131?pt=AU_Electronics_GPS&hash=item2a26788d4b

I'm looking at this one and seems good value at $250.

Seems like a good price mate. I just bought the Garmin Forerunner 210 from Rebel sports and paid $290 I think. I assume the 410 gives a little more than what the 210 does and I'm really happy with my one. Only thing that annoys me is the clip that attaches to the watch to sync with the computer and reading reviews that seems to be a common theme.

I'd be very careful getting a refurbished one like that link on ebay. The batteries are a bit dodge in them generally. I have a forerunner 410 that I bought brand new about 12 months ago and that takes a couple of goes to fire up sometimes. I wouldn't be trusting a refurb at $250 when you could get a new one for an extra ~$100. You have to be careful that the retailers you are buying from are selling them new and not refurbs themselves, at least that ebay listing is upfront with it I guess.

As for what MinerBoy posted above, the 410 has a USB stick that you chuck in the computer and it syncs with the watch wirelessly so that isn't a problem with the newer version.

Okay.. I was suggested a FR210 including HRM for $289.. maybe thats a better go?

I don't need something whizzbang. I'm new to running, training for a half marathon. Would only use once a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back