Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd started running for fitness sake before but always lacked motivation to keep at it. So, this time last year entered the Age Run Melbourne 10km event so I had a target I had to prepare for and gave myself 6 weeks to get ready for it. Starting at 100kg with only 6 weeks lead in was rapt to do it in 47:45. Since then I've kept at it. Did the 10km at Melbourne Marathon in 45:49 and another 10km event along the Barwon River in Geelong in February in 43:55 which is the PB.
Wow, that's a great time after only 6 weeks training. Great work!

How do you manage cricket and running in summer?

Wow, that's a great time after only 6 weeks training. Great work!

Cheers. I was always winning the cross country runs back in school and despite being a CHF/CHB playing footy, was always up with the mids in terms of being able to run all day. Never the quickest but always reasonably good at endurance stuff. The first week or so back running it was all I could do to not throw up but the breathing and fitness came back quicker than I expected. As I said, the ongoing issue is basically putting up with the knee pain.

How do you manage cricket and running in summer?

Not sure what you mean? How do I go combining doing both, or just doing them in summer weather?

In regards to heat, I hate it. Find it a lot harder to breath the warmer air when I run so try to do them as late in the evening as possible or on shady tracks. Cricket training is a breeze. Our guys don't extend themselves too much these days :D and our netts are in the shade which makes it cooler (but s**t house for picking up the ball). An interesting side affect of the running was the benefit to my cricket though. I semi-retired this year. Only available if you need me kind of thing. Anyway, as the season progressed and the team struggled I got dragged back in and ended up pumping out the runs after Christmas and winning the 1st XI batting average for the first time in about 6 or 7 years. Not only was I not tiring when batting long periods, but I felt I made less mental errors and I put that down completely to the improved fitness from the running. It stands to reason if you're not tiring then you make better decisions anyway but even when you go through those tough periods of an innings where you can't time a shot to save yourself, the mental strength gained from pushing through those hard runs seemed to also find its way into my batting and the determination to get through it.

As I said, the ongoing issue is basically putting up with the knee pain.
I'm sure you've been to physios and whatnot, in regards to the knee?

Not sure what you mean? How do I go combining doing both, or just doing them in summer weather?

Just in terms of fitting all training sessions + cricket game in, with full time work. I run 5 times a week at the moment, add to that cricket 2 nights a week and Saturday game day and it comes very busy.

Cricket training is a breeze.

Lucky you!

I got dragged back in and ended up pumping out the runs after Christmas and winning the 1st XI batting average for the first time in about 6 or 7 years.

Not bad at all. Good to hear that your running helped your batting, I'm hoping for the same this summer :)

I get massage on lower back and legs when I feel I need it but other than that I don't get any treatment. Knee could probably do with a scan but the budget's tight and there's kids and bills etc etc.....

Cricket: Gotcha, sorry. :D Yeah, it's hard to squeeze it all in. When I resumed cricket more full on again, I basically just incorporated my Tuesday night run into training. Told the lads I was keen on the running and if they wanted me back I was going to spend that little extra time running laps. Mind you I was only prepping for a 10km run then so doing 4-5km at training doesn't take too much time. Other than that I was only doing maybe another run Wednesday, cricket Thursday, cricket Saturday and a long run Sunday morning while the family is still getting themselves out of bed.

For the record - my wife hates cricket and the amount of time I have invested there over the years (currently Treasurer, have been President, Captain/Coached 6 seasons, always on committee, very familiar with the bar, club stats man and historian) so balancing all that has been a constant battle. The club is pretty easy with my training now. Veteran status has privileges. Can turn up to training late, not at all etc and still get picked (but generally always train unless I have a reason anyway). But they understand the balancing act with family and now with the running too.

Good luck. I'd be surprised if you don't see any benefits. Are you just recently into running yourself in that this will be the first cricket season approaching where you have a running base? Cricket may not require the fitness footy does but regardless you can't help benefit from being in shape.

I get massage on lower back and legs when I feel I need it but other than that I don't get any treatment. Knee could probably do with a scan but the budget's tight and there's kids and bills etc etc.....

Cricket: Gotcha, sorry. :D Yeah, it's hard to squeeze it all in. When I resumed cricket more full on again, I basically just incorporated my Tuesday night run into training. Told the lads I was keen on the running and if they wanted me back I was going to spend that little extra time running laps. Mind you I was only prepping for a 10km run then so doing 4-5km at training doesn't take too much time. Other than that I was only doing maybe another run Wednesday, cricket Thursday, cricket Saturday and a long run Sunday morning while the family is still getting themselves out of bed.

For the record - my wife hates cricket and the amount of time I have invested there over the years (currently Treasurer, have been President, Captain/Coached 6 seasons, always on committee, very familiar with the bar, club stats man and historian) so balancing all that has been a constant battle. The club is pretty easy with my training now. Veteran status has privileges. Can turn up to training late, not at all etc and still get picked (but generally always train unless I have a reason anyway). But they understand the balancing act with family and now with the running too.

Good luck. I'd be surprised if you don't see any benefits. Are you just recently into running yourself in that this will be the first cricket season approaching where you have a running base? Cricket may not require the fitness footy does but regardless you can't help benefit from being in shape.
Fair enough.

Long run Sunday, I'd never be able to do that after cricket on a Saturday! I'm still sore till Tuesday.

Kudos for the time put in at your cricket club, guys like you make local clubs awesome.

I did a little training before last season, but gave that up as the season started. Hoping this season to carry it through.

Started running about a year ago, can't get over the effect it has had on my health. Previously I just hit the weights and avoided all cardio.

Admittedly I am only still on a treadmill and running for 30 minutes but the emotional high I am on for hours after the run, the reduction in recurring pain and how well I sleep each night is incredible.

I can't recommend the past time enough to everyone I meet, just annoyed I didn't start it earlier.

How is everyone going with there training?

I've currently got my Saturday long run up to 10.1km, then 2 x 7km and 2 x 5.2km during the week.

This week is 7.4-5.5-7.4-rest-5.5-11.1-rest.

Training for my first Marathon (Melbourne) in October, so HEAPS of time so I'm not worried if I miss mid-week runs. But currently my "goal" week involves:

During the week:
- 1 Interval/Tempo/Hill repeats run depending on how I feel
- 2 10k's @ quicker than goal marathon pace
- 1 medium distance (about 15k) at around goal marathon pace
- 1 long run at slower than goal pace

So last week looked like:

- 5 x 1200m @ 4:30 pace with 3 min active rest (6:00 pace) between sets
- 10k @ 5:30
- 15km @ 5:19 pace
- 25km @ 5:43 pace

I honestly have no idea what time I'm going to be able to do the marathon in. I've made the training up myself so if I feel like goal paces are too fast I will happily alter the regime.

I honestly have no idea what time I'm going to be able to do the marathon in. I've made the training up myself so if I feel like goal paces are too fast I will happily alter the regime.
reddit.com/r/running are really helpful if you need some help with your set up for training. They have an IRC channel with people always ready to help.

That's how I got my running set up.

reddit.com/r/running are really helpful if you need some help with your set up for training. They have an IRC channel with people always ready to help.

That's how I got my running set up.

That is an amazing resource! I just spent 30 min reading and learnt so much already. Wish I knew about it earlier.

Went for my first run in 8 months after having a bad case of pattella tendonitis in both knee's, 6.7km in 30 mins and ran the last 1km in 3:20, knee's held up. I'm back baby!!!

Wow. That's sharp, especially after a period off.

I just completed my heaviest stretch ever.

Sunday 19/5 - 14.5km run, Tuesday 21/5 - 10km run, Thursday 23/5 - 6.5km run, Friday 24/5 - 21km Ride, Saturday 25/5 - 8km run, Sunday 26/5 - 14.5km run.

Wow. That's sharp, especially after a period off.

I just completed my heaviest stretch ever.

Sunday 19/5 - 14.5km run, Tuesday 21/5 - 10km run, Thursday 23/5 - 6.5km run, Friday 24/5 - 21km Ride, Saturday 25/5 - 8km run, Sunday 26/5 - 14.5km run.
I have a massive base, plus still been riding and swimming a fair bit. Also just took up Karate and I've been finding muscles I didn't think existed, so sore!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people using for tracking the KMs? I've used running apps on my phone but the GPS is stuffed now so just record my time and then plot the map on the runkeeper website later. Even then, didn't like lugging the phone around. Looking at getting a GPS watch over the next few weeks if there are any recommondations. Been looking at the entry level Garmin watches (Forerunner 10 & 110) if anyone has any feedback. Cheers.

What are people using for tracking the KMs? I've used running apps on my phone but the GPS is stuffed now so just record my time and then plot the map on the runkeeper website later. Even then, didn't like lugging the phone around. Looking at getting a GPS watch over the next few weeks if there are any recommondations. Been looking at the entry level Garmin watches (Forerunner 10 & 110) if anyone has any feedback. Cheers.

get a Garmin and get on Strava!

I've got a Forerunner 405CX. Had it for about 3 years and the battery is dieing a slow and painful death. Anything over an hour now and the risk of flat battery is high. When I originally got it though, 4-5hr battery life no problems...

Once the battery started going I got a Garmin Edge 500 for the longer bike rides. You can get a wrist band for the Edge which makes it essentially a big giant watch.

The misses has a Forerunner 110, just be aware that it only displays average pace. It doesn't give an indication of instantaneous speed, could be looked on as a disadvantage.

I believe the Forerunner 110 is quite basic in that it tracks distance and average pace. If you go up to 210 and upper you get added gizmos like Virtual Partner, workouts, courses etc...it just depends on your level of training (and budget). If you're just a runner logging sort of 10-20km runs once a week, the Forerunners are fine. If you are a cyclist too then can't go past one of the Edges.

Anyway, Garmin in conjunction with Strava, in my opinion, is the only way to go.

Cheers WildRover. I'll definitely go a Garmin. Not sure I need a HR monitor but I do like the idea of 'current pace' rather than average. Might come down to a decision between the basic Forerunner 10 and the 210. I don't need it for cycling.

What's the go with Strava? Isn't the Garmin Connect site enough for analysing the data from the runs?

Cheers WildRover. I'll definitely go a Garmin. Not sure I need a HR monitor but I do like the idea of 'current pace' rather than average. Might come down to a decision between the basic Forerunner 10 and the 210. I don't need it for cycling.

What's the go with Strava? Isn't the Garmin Connect site enough for analysing the data from the runs?

Not getting a HRM would surely depend on what sort of running/training you are doing. If you are just trying to get best times over short distances (like 5k) then sure, not much need for HR, but if you're training for something like a 15k+ run, then a HRM is a MUST! It's such a handy training tool.

Garmin Connect is more than enough for analysing. But Strava is more of a social tool. You compete against other people who run your routes (or segments). For example, if you run The Tan in Melbourne, there are about 600 people that have run it before, and your best time is compared to everyone else's best time that has ever run that "segment". It's brilliant, a real motivational tool. They also run monthly and special "challenges" like, most km's in a month. And no I don't work for Strava.

I started out using GC and found it good, but it lacks the motivational factors that Strava has.

Cheers mate.

I'm moving up from 10km to my first half marathon in July. How do you use the HRM to improve? I'm generally happy enough to know my pace/distance/time for a run but always happy to hear other areas to improve.

Being in a rural area, Strava probably has less benefits to me then. Not too many runners I'll be sharing routes with. :D

Cheers mate.

I'm moving up from 10km to my first half marathon in July. How do you use the HRM to improve? I'm generally happy enough to know my pace/distance/time for a run but always happy to hear other areas to improve.

Being in a rural area, Strava probably has less benefits to me then. Not too many runners I'll be sharing routes with. :D
Just create your own routes and compete against yourself then!

Speaking from my own experience, I never used the heart rate and was running 10k in around 50-55 mins, which for me is pretty quick. I always planned on doing the Melb Marathon and I thought I was pretty fit so I tried to run a halfie in Feb at my "normal" pace. Got to 17km and completely died in the arse. Couldn't walk, nearly spewed etc etc...

So I figured the ONLY way I could do a marathon was to do some heart rate only training to get the mileage up. So, in short, for my long runs I make sure my heart rate rarely goes above 155 and NEVER goes above 165. If it's 165, I walk until it's back to something reasonable.

I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOW!!!! It was painfully slow! But in 10 weeks my long run has gone from 12km upto 29km and my pace has gone from 6:20 min/km to 5:40 min/km with half marathon times going from 2hr 20 to 1hr 55. So i'm very happy with the HR training.

It might not be for everyone, but I have found it really REALLY helpful.

Say hello to my little friend. :)

DSC_0178.JPG

I've just started running the last few weeks. There's this app called "Get Running" which is awesome for someone like me who started with zero fitness base. It's been long overdue. Basically the app gradually builds up how long you run for, with each week giving you longer periods of runs vs walking periods (just listen via headphones). I'm up to week 4 at the moment. Today I had 2 x 3 minutes of running non stop, with 90 seconds walking in between, and 2 x 5 minutes of running non stop with 2 1/2 minutes walking in between (once) and a 5 minute warm up and cool down of walking. So total 16 minutes running with 14 1/2 walking. Doesn't sound like much I'm building off pretty much zero fitness base, and I'm finally able to do these runs without feeling absolute dead afterwards, I feel refreshed! Today was the first time I decided to track the distance and recorded 4.37km in about 31 minutes, which I'm happy with considering only about half of that time was actual running. By the end of the program if I stay on course (9 weeks total) I will hopefully be able to run 30 minutes without stopping, and by then will able to aim for other bigger goals. Just happy to build my cardio base up gradually though (currently progressing at about 3/4 runs a week). Anyway, it's a great app for anyone that has completely s**t fitness like me!

I've just started running the last few weeks. There's this app called "Get Running" which is awesome for someone like me who started with zero fitness base. It's been long overdue. Basically the app gradually builds up how long you run for, with each week giving you longer periods of runs vs walking periods (just listen via headphones). I'm up to week 4 at the moment. Today I had 2 x 3 minutes of running non stop, with 90 seconds walking in between, and 2 x 5 minutes of running non stop with 2 1/2 minutes walking in between (once) and a 5 minute warm up and cool down of walking. So total 16 minutes running with 14 1/2 walking. Doesn't sound like much I'm building off pretty much zero fitness base, and I'm finally able to do these runs without feeling absolute dead afterwards, I feel refreshed! Today was the first time I decided to track the distance and recorded 4.37km in about 31 minutes, which I'm happy with considering only about half of that time was actual running. By the end of the program if I stay on course (9 weeks total) I will hopefully be able to run 30 minutes without stopping, and by then will able to aim for other bigger goals. Just happy to build my cardio base up gradually though (currently progressing at about 3/4 runs a week). Anyway, it's a great app for anyone that has completely s**t fitness like me!
Great work. Sounds similar to the 'couch to 5k' program, they are good starter points. It's surprising how quick your fitness improves in those first stages, hey?

30 minutes non-stop running is pretty great for a beginner.

Thumped out my first interval session with the Garmin last night and hooked up the HR monitor too. Definitely a much better way to do intervals than just going at it and trying your best to 'go hard for a while' and then recover a while. Having it perfectly set up made it easier to see it right through. Think the HR stuff has potential too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back