Official Team Thread S32 – Alberton Qootball Club, the Sin City Swamprats [B&F Winner: philreich]

Remove this Banner Ad

S32 Captain's
Before we conclude the count, I'd like to present the captain's award to GremioPower. GP is a different cat, but he's an essential part of our leadership group, and will do anything asked of him - indeed, often going above and beyond what was asked of him. GP will assume the role of vice captain in season 33, as jackster83 has asked to be relieved of the role, due to the impending birth of a new member of the Jackster family (all the best to you and your lovely wife, jackster: we hope and pray for a safe arrival when the time comes).

So please join me in congratulating GremioPower for deservedly winning the captain's award.

Before we conclude the count, I'd like to present the captain's award to GremioPower. GP is a different cat, but he's an essential part of our leadership group, and will do anything asked of him - indeed, often going above and beyond what was asked of him. GP will assume the role of vice captain in season 33, as jackster83 has asked to be relieved of the role, due to the impending birth of a new member of the Jackster family (all the best to you and your lovely wife, jackster: we hope and pray for a safe arrival when the time comes).

So please join me in congratulating GremioPower for deservedly winning the captain's award.
Congratulations GremioPower

R13
Round 13 v Demons by philreich

After being unceremoniously thumped by the Roys, we returned home to The Underground, hoping to make amends against the reigning premiers. They’d won a high scoring thriller against us in round 2, so we had revenge on our minds.

The game started fairly even, with the Rats holding a slender 7 point lead at the first break.

¼ time Swamprats 4:2 (26) to Demons 3:1 (19)

The Dees came out firing in the second quarter, and came away with a 5 goals to 2 result. We went in to the long break 9 points down: how would we respond in the premiership quarter?

½ time Swamprats 6:5 (41) to Demons 8:2 (50)

We had 7 scoring shots to 3 in the 3rd, but only registered 2 goals for our efforts. Bad kicking is bad qooty, and we still found ourselves 5 points down with a quarter to play.

¾ time Swamprats 8:10 (58) to Demons 10:3 (63)

The last stanza was a real arm wrestle. Scores were level with 15 minutes to play, and the Demons then took the lead through sausageroll. Thankfully Catsnlakers and GotTheGoodes saved the day with late goals, and we snuck over the line for an important 3 point win. The final scoreline was eerily similar to a certain grand final between the 2 teams.

Full time Swamprats 11:14 (80) to Demons 12:5 (77)

Votes:

GremioPower 20
Ant555 14
Mike ross 13
HirdsTheWord 6
Philreich 5
darthmann 1
Ticky009 1

R14
Round 14 v Phoenix by philreich

This was a real heart breaker, and one we really should have won. It was nip and tuck all day, until SM had the final say.

3 goals each in the first quarter was just a prelude to the tightness of the contest throughout. We led by a point at the first break.

¼ time Swamprats 3:4 (22) to Phoenix 3:3 (21)

Rinse and repeat in the second – another 3 goals each in the second, and we doubled our lead by the long break.

½ time Swamprats 6:5 (41) to Phoenix 6:3 (39)

The third quarter was our most productive quarter of the day – we scored 5 goals. But the opposition added 4 of their own, so we turned for home just 9 points to the good.

¾ time Swamprats 11:7 (73) to Phoenix 10:4 (64)

Both teams had 5 scoring shots in the last quarter – problem was, the Phoenix couldn’t miss, while we added just 2:3, meaning we ended the game agonisingly short. Early goals to HirdsTheWord and Catsnlakers stretched our lead to 4 goals, but jackster83 must have ordered us all to the pub from there, because we failed to register another score as we were overrun in the dying minutes. Damn!!!

Full time Swamprats 13:10 (88) to Phoenix 15:4 (94)

Votes:

GremioPower 17
darthmann 15
Mike ross 11
Jackster83 7
HirdsTheWord 4
Ant555 3
Sataris 2
Quadzilla 1

R15
Round 15 vs Warriors by philreich

Like the lads (and lasses) from East Side, the Warriors have had our measure of late, and so it proved again this time. They struggle against most other teams – which is why they keep missing the 8, but for some reason they match up really well against us.

The home team went on a 9 goal rampage in the opening stanza – we answered with 5 of our own, but we were still 26 points down at the first change.

¼ time Warriors 9:3 (57) to Swamprats 5:1 (31)

We had a blinder of a second term, piling on 8 goals. Trouble was, the Warriors scored 7, so we were still 3 goals down at the long break.

½ time Warriors 16:4 (100) to Swamprats 13:4 (82)

We won the 3rd quarter by 5 points, to give ourselves a sniff: just 13 points down with a quarter to play.

¾ time Warriors 19:6 (120) to Swamprats 17:5 (107)

A dominant display by the hosts in the last quarter put paid to any hope we might have had – lucky they kicked 6:6, or the 37 point margin might have been even uglier.

Full time Warriors 25:12 (162) to Swamprats 20:5 (125)

Votes:

darthmann 16
HirdsTheWord 14
GremioPower 13
Catsnlakers 8
GotTheGoodes 4
Ant Bear 3
Ticky009 2

R16
Round 16 v Bombers by philreich

We went to prison for our final minor round game – Abdu Prison that is. The last time we lost to the Bombers, Ant Bear was still admin. Trouble was, if the streak was broken here, we were destined to miss the 8, so victory was paramount.

We started nervously, with the wooden spoon favourites jumping out of the blocks early, Fortunately they couldn’t kick straight, or the 15 point quarter time deficit would have been worse.

¼ time Bombers 4:5 (29) to Swamprats 2:1 (13)

We woke up in the second, although the 6 goals we kicked should have been more, because we missed another 6. But we turned a 15 point deficit into a 13 point lead at the long break.

¼ time Bombers 6:6 (42) to Swamprats 8:7 (55)

Another 4:5 in the third enabled us to eke the lead out to 23 points, with a quarter to play – SURELY we’d done enough to ensure a finals berth……….

¾ time Bombers 9:7 (61) to Swamprats 12:12 (84)

Fortunately the Bombers had ground to a halt by now – obviously resigned to the fact that the wooden spoon was theirs. They could only add 2 more goals to our 4, meaning we’d finished the minor round in 6th place, and an elimination final showdown with the Gumbies!!!

Votes:

GremioPower 20
darthmann 13
philreich 10
HirdsTheWord 9
Firestarter 3
sataris 2
Marklar_33 2
Mike ross 1

EF
Elimination final v Gumbies by philreich

It was do or die. We’d beaten the Gumbies comfortably in round 10, but minor round results don’t tend to mean much, come the business end of the season.

Nobody really knows what happened in that first quarter, but the fact of the matter is that we failed to register a single score, while the Gumbies stunned us with 5 unanswered goals.

¼ time Swamprats 0:0 (0) to Gumbies 5:5 (35)

The visitors scored the first goal of the second quarter, as the scoreline extended to an embarrassing 41-0 before jeers from the home crowd greeted mike ross as he broke the drought with our first point. We played pretty well for the rest of the quarter, scoring 5 goals, but that horrendous start to the game meant we were still 22 points down with an hour to play.

½ time Swamprats 5:3 (33) to Gumbies 8:7 (55)

The Gumbies added 5 goals in the premiership quarter, to make our task even tougher – we turned for home, trailing by 31 points, and all looked lost.

¾ time Swamprats 8:7 (55) to Gumbies 13:8 (86)

We still trailed by 29 points halfway through the last, and the fans started to drift out of the stadium, believing the season was gone. But suddenly we found something, and when GremioPower goaled in the 22nd minute, we suddenly dared to dream.

Then it happened!!! The Rats skipper had the chance to pull off a miracle, but hit the goal post, and thus our season ended prematurely. I’m still not sure if I’ve been delisted, but certain team mates still look at me funny……….

Full time Swamprats 15:13 (103) to Gumbies 16:9 (105)

Votes:

GotTheGoodes 16
Marklar_33 16
Quadzilla 10
GremioPower 7
Catsnlakers 6
Jackster83 4
Power Raid 1

S32 Toots - Ending Remarks
So I guess the winner of the Toots Hibbert Medal is me. Bad luck to GremioPower, who would have been a worthy winner - but his time will come. Thanks to each member of the team: it's been an honour to lead such a fantastic group, and hopefully we can look forward to bigger and better things next season. Before we end things tonight, I'd like to say that there will be a big name returning to the Underground in the not too distant future - stay tuned..........

In the meantime, I trust everyone in the Sweet FA has a memorable Christmas with their loved ones, and all the best for 2022.

So I guess the winner of the Toots Hibbert Medal is me. Bad luck to GremioPower, who would have been a worthy winner - but his time will come. Thanks to each member of the team: it's been an honour to lead such a fantastic group, and hopefully we can look forward to bigger and better things next season. Before we end things tonight, I'd like to say that there will be a big name returning to the Underground in the not too distant future - stay tuned..........

In the meantime, I trust everyone in the Sweet FA has a memorable Christmas with their loved ones, and all the best for 2022.

FabulousColorfulGroundhog-max-1mb.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats philreich. All that spare time working for the government definitely helped your qooty game.

Looking forward to season 33, even if I might be a bit quieter than in the last 2-3 seasons.

Very keen to see our rookies take the next step, and also some big names potentially joining the Rats.

For now it's time to party on!

tmnt-michelangelo.gif

Congratulations, philreich - your 4th Toots Hibberd award (and third one won as captain - even I only awarded it to myself twice :winkv1: )

Also well done to darthmann on the drazah Medal, to SarahSmiles on the Groove and to GremioPower on the Captains Pet award.

Hey Ant Bear getta load of this guy!

I loved the bit how the Rats nearly blew it bidding on other stuff. :tearsofjoy:
What the hell did they think they could do with sliding doors anyway?:roflv1:

S32 Toots - Full Ladder
Final leaderboard:

philreich 131
GremioPower 121
GotTheGoodes 110
ant555 99
darthmann 77
mike ross 73

Full Ladder

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 12.07.20.png

Orange: voted only by me