Official Team Thread S32 – Alberton Qootball Club, the Sin City Swamprats [B&F Winner: philreich]

Remove this Banner Ad

GremioPower can you please amend the thread title, to let people know about our B&F on Monday, December 20? Thanks.

Can you make sure I get to sit on the table closest to the toilets? I will need to make a number of trips there to powder my nose stalk Lenny and Carl.

Can you make sure I get to sit on the table closest to the toilets? I will need to make a number of trips there to powder my nose stalk Lenny and Carl.
Have you seen the function centre where the event is being held?

1639746946532.png

We're all good to go from 8pm tonight (Adelaide time) - please join us, and I'm sure jackster83 will provide you with a free drink, assuming he hasn't already drunk it all himself.

I'm just looking forward to catching up with MannumPower again. The beers will be flowing.

I'm bringing my mate RobR so I do hope there will be plenty of Guinness as well as quality craft beer ready to go!

Are you joining us for pre-drinks? We'll be at my place on Dock St.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're all good to go from 8pm tonight (Adelaide time) - please join us, and I'm sure jackster83 will provide you with a free drink, assuming he hasn't already drunk it all himself.
Hook me up with a tumeric latte pls jackster83

S32 Toots - Opening Remarks
Good evening ladies & gentlemen, boys and girls - plus any dogs or cats who happen to be reading this, and welcome to the Sin City Swamprats best and fairest awards for season 32. (As I type this, the Poms are all out, so we can forget about the cricket after saying "sucked in England")

Season 32 was a season of mixed fortunes for the Swamprats. Our form was often about as reliable as England's middle order, but at least we made it as far as the elimination final, which was an improvement on season 31. But the desire to go further now burns even deeper, and we're determined to be playing deep into June 2022. Any, enough of the crap: it's time to hand out some awards - apart from the Toots Hibbert award to our best and fairest Rat, we'll also be handing out the following:

* The Groove Medal for the Rat who kicked the most goals
* the Drazah Medal for the best rookie, and
* the captain's award - I'll be singling out a particular Rat for special recognition

So without further ado (too many ados could result in us still being here after midnight, and some of us have to work in the morning), let's get proceedings underway.

R1
Round 1 v Roys by Ant Bear

What better way to start the new season than with a dream fixture against our old friends, the Roys at the Underground. We have had many great clashes over the seasons, with the climax being the S25 Grand Final, and this was no exception - off to a cracking start with an 80+ page thread, featuring great performances from the likes of Catsnlakers (166 posts), philreich (137), MannumPower (113) and Firestarter, with promising debuts from S32 rookies mike ross, darthmann and Ticky009

The game got under way in warm conditions, and @greniopower opened the scoring for S32 with a goal in the 5th minute. The teams sparred warily for the first twenty-five, trading goals, but the Roys who narrowly held swat at the first change. Three goas in the first 5 minutes of the second term signalled that the Rats were taking charge of this game, and despite a plucky response from the Roys, we had a 9 point lead at the long break.

We repeated the 3 in 5 to begin the third term, with goals to HirdsTheWord, GremioPower and Quadzilla, but again the Roys replied to hit the front halfway through the term. We needed a hero to stand up, and GotTheGoodes was the man, with two goals from his wing giving us a 12 point lead as we turned for the bar. An early goal to Roys' skipper TedDougChris brought them within a goal, but it seemed as if they had no more to give, as we piled on the last six goals of the game to run away with a 41 point victory. A terrific start to the season, and we had a host of contributors - none better that GTG with his 22 disposals and 4 goals from the centre. But he was ably supported by GremioPower off his wing with 24 and 3, and Quaddie and SarahSmiles also contributed 3 goals each.

Votes:

GotTheGoodes 20
GremioPower 11
Ant555 11
Philreich 7
SarahSmiles 4
Power Raid 3
TheDarkDwarf 2
darthmann 1
Firestarter 1

R2
Round 2 v Demons by Ant Bear

Top of the ladder after round one, the Rats were dispatched to the cold and white Snow Dome in round 2 to take on the Demons in the MOTR. In a somewhat quieter thread, Catsnlakers again shone with 83 posts to show why he had been elevated to a leadership position, with solid support from SarahSmiles (50), philreich (47) and GremioPower. Rookies, mike ross, darthmann and Ticky009 continued to step up, showing good understanding of requirements and consolidating the club's future. In a major shock, club legend Ant Bear was omitted from the lineup after ruours of infection, defection and/or defecation in the captain's locker.

Despite the disruption, the Rats got off to a flyer, with a 7 goal to 5 opening term, and we led by 17 points. @sarahmiles, philreich, ant555, TheDarkDwarf and sataris booted second term goals to extend this advantage to 39 points halfway through, and we were running amok! Even a late Demon fightback that cut the half time lead to 20 points was casting few clouds on our sunny day!

The two teams traded goals throughout the third term, with ant555, MannumPower ad SarahSmiles prominent, and we took a 10 point lead into the fnal term, which was quickly wiped out in scenes reminiscent of the 26 Preliminary final. The Demons then proceeded to pile on the goals with a trademark 8 goal final term, yet again leaving the Swamprats scratching our scalps as we contemplated a 16 point defeat.

The loss left us 5th after 2 rounds, but some good performances were produced. SarahSmiles, restored to the goalmouth, booted 5 goals, whilst MannumPower, philreich and ant555 shone in the centre square with 27, 24 and 22 dispoals respectively. But a saviour was needed, and Ant Bear was destined for redemption in round 3!

Votes:

Philreich 17
MannumPower 17
Ant555 12
SarahSmiles 7
Compact72 4
Ticky009 3

R3
Round 3 v Warriors by jackster83

A strong win in round 1, followed by a late match fade out against the Demons in round 2, saw the Rats looking to get back on the positive side of the ledger. Power Raid was quick to get under the Warriors’ skin, while the 2021 Census distracted many posters as they pondered putting “star qooty player” as their occupation.

Q1:

The Rats got off to a perfect start, thanks to Catsnlakers converting after taking an intercept mark at half forward. Goals to Quadzilla and MannumPower followed, which saw the Rats out to a 20 point lead, before a philreich shot on goal was touched on the line. The Warriors then went coast-to-coast to snag one back, which signalled a shift in momentum. Two more goals to Coney Island saw the Rats only three points up at the first break.

End of Q1: Swamprats 3.3 (21) vs Warriors 3.0 (18)

Q2:

The Warriors hit the lead for the first time early in the second term, before consecutive goals to outgoing star forward SarahSmiles saw the Rats regain the lead. Both teams traded goals, before a double strike to Dinsdale gave the Warriors a bit of breathing space. SarahSmiles repeated the double dose from earlier in the quarter before a late goal to ChappyUK saw the Warriors holding a 10 point buffer at the main break.

End of Q2: Swamprats 8.5 (53) vs Warriors 10.3 (63)

Q3:

The Rats had the early run of play in the third term, but couldn’t convert it to scoreboard pressure, before philreich stepped up with a captain’s goal on the run – his second overall for the match. The Warriors again lifted the pressure (helped by excellent conversion in front of goal), and some jittery defending saw the Rats slump to a 26 point deficit at the final break.

End of Q3: Swamprats 9.7 (61) vs Warriors 14.3 (87)

Q4:

Captain philreich implored his troops to lift in front of their adoring fans, the Rats again looked scratchy at the start of the final term, before SarahSmiles slotted his fifth goal. mike ross was flattened by The Half Back, which led to a run of goals that destroyed any chance of a Rats victory and saw the Warriors run out convincing winners. SarahSmiles finished with 6.1, while philreich and Firestarter toiled hard for the home side.

Final score: Swamprats 12.9 (81) lost to Warriors 22.4 (136)

Votes:

SarahSmiles 16
Firestarter 15
philreich 13
GotTheGoodes 7
GremioPower 3
Catsnlakers 2
Ant Bear 2
Mike ross 1
Jackster83 1

R4
Round 4 v Bombers by jackster83

After a disappointing showing against a sim-riggingly accurate Warriors side, the Rats turned their attention to old foes the Bombers.

The match thread was quiet initially, with prolific Bombers pisswreck BLUEALLTHRU filling the nightshift slot. Fellow Bombers The Greatest Ava and RobR were up for the fight however, with Friday night jukebox with Kilroy also a highlight.

Q1:

TheDarkDwarf had not even had time to crack open his first can of beer on the bench before the Rats opened the scoring, courtesy of a running goal by Power Raid. A strong mark by darthmann led to MannumPower getting the Rats’ second goal on the board. The Bombers didn’t get on the board until just before the ten minute mark, but they certainly grabbed the momentum, piling on four unanswered goals to grab the lead. Star Rats rookie HirdsTheWord showcased his obvious talents, booting two long range goals to give the Rats an eight point lead at the first break.

End of Q1: Swamprats 5.2 (32) vs Bombers 4.0 (24)

Q2:

The veteran Quadzilla got the Rats faithful up and about early in the second term, with a long range torpedo goal. A contentious deliberate out of bounds free against Ant Bear helped the Bombers claw the margin back, before the Rats responded, through MannumPower (twice), HirdsTheWord and Catsnlakers. The Rats extended their lead to 40 points, before Pugsley hit back for the Bombers moments before the half time siren.

End of Q2: Swamprats 12.6 (78) vs Bombers 7.1 (43)

Q3:

Elusive Rats rookie compact72 pushed the lead back out to 40 points thanks to some excellent defensive pressure by philreich. The Bombers lifted but were unable to make any headway on the scoreboard until some poor discipline by jackster83 handed HaroLad a goal. He then added another, followed by Metalcrusher and the Bombers could sense an opening. They continued to surge and Jabba73 got them to within five points, before Power Raid added a much needed steadying goal for the home side. Jabba replied with another almost immediately however and the Bombers went into the final break trailing by less than a kick.

End of Q3: Swamprats 15.6 (96) vs Bombers 14.8 (92)

Q4:

All the momentum was with the Bombers and when mike ross rushed a behind in the 5th minute, it appeared only a matter of time before they took the lead. Jabba73 put them in front at the seven minute mark, before the cool head of ant555 put the Rats back in front. The Rats then added two more quick goals to push their lead out to 17 points before the Bombers hit back once again via Osc1 . The crowd had started to become nervous and agitated, not helped by the fact that all the full strength beer had run out. Fortunately Quadzilla and Power Raid calmed things down by adding a late goal each and sealing the match for the home side. MannumPower had a big day out, booting three goals from the ruck, while HirdsTheWord and Power Raid each added four goals.

Final score: Swamprats 20.9 (129) def Bombers 16.9 (105)

Votes:

Quadzilla 18
MannumPower 15
HirdsThePower 8
Ant555 6
Catsnlakers 6
Power Raid 6
powerrrrrrrrrrrr 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back