Salary Cap Facts

Remove this Banner Ad

We look forward to Robinson’s expose of the Essendon Drugs Scandal in 10 years time.

:rolleyes:

Essendon cheated worse than we did and I’m talking salary cap in a premiership year, 1993... maybe Robo could do a story on that...
  • In 1996, Essendon were fined a record $638,250 ($250,000 in back tax and penalties, $112,000 for draft tampering and $276,250 for breaching the salary cap regulations), forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft and were excluded from the 1997 rookie and pre-season drafts after a joint Australian Tax Office and AFL investigation found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $514,500 between 1991 and 1996, including $110,000 in 1993 when Essendon won the premiership.[12]

Ex-AFL player agent David Allison comes clean on Carlton salary cap scandal, admitting he received $750,000 in secret cash payments

https://outline.com/h5R5Sx
So who do we think the wealthy businessman was. And who do we think is still getting paid under the table in the AFL?

The second part should be followed up by the AFL and their integrity unit

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Essendon cheated worse than we did and I’m talking salary cap in a premiership year, 1993... maybe Robo could do a story on that...
  • In 1996, Essendon were fined a record $638,250 ($250,000 in back tax and penalties, $112,000 for draft tampering and $276,250 for breaching the salary cap regulations), forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft and were excluded from the 1997 rookie and pre-season drafts after a joint Australian Tax Office and AFL investigation found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $514,500 between 1991 and 1996, including $110,000 in 1993 when Essendon won the premiership.[12]

Essendon do syringes and paper bags - yet only Carlton cheats.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
So who do we think the wealthy businessman was. And who do we think is still getting paid under the table in the AFL?

The second part should be followed up by the AFL and their integrity unit

The club copped the most brutal sanctions in AFL history already. The only integrity that needs following up is that of the articles author and intent.

update

In July 2018, former player agent David Allison detailed the extent of his involvement in the cheating saga.
Asked how much money he had received in under-the-table player payments in the late 1990s and early 2000s, Allison told the Herald Sun:

"Across a five-year period - there would be no doubt in my mind it would be three-quarters of a million bucks. It was always cash .... and it wasn’t only me that was paid that type of money. In those days there was a lot of cash money made available - and I know for a fact that it still goes on today - but not to the degree that it did back in those days.”

Last edited by a moderator:

And the Sydney cheating from 1987 is insane.

"In 1987, Sydney were fined the maximum of $60,000 and forfeited their first round pick in the National Draft after a VFL investigation found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $1.15 million during the season."

The total cap at that time was 1.25m. They were over by more than 95% of the cap...

No one ever brings up their penalties but our cheating was closer to theirs than our cheating is to the present day. Same era, same practice. Ours gets remembered cos of Elliots arrogance and because we were caught just after finishing last, costing ourselves picks 1 and 2 in the draft

And the Sydney cheating from 1987 is insane.

"In 1987, Sydney were fined the maximum of $60,000 and forfeited their first round pick in the National Draft after a VFL investigation found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $1.15 million during the season."

The total cap at that time was 1.25m. They were over by more than 95% of the cap...

No one ever brings up their penalties but our cheating was closer to theirs than our cheating is to the present day. Same era, same practice. Ours gets remembered cos of Elliots arrogance and because we were caught just after finishing last, costing ourselves picks 1 and 2 in the draft

That year Sydney was nearly double over the cap.... whenever someone brings up cheating I present them with the facts and that shuts them up pretty quickly.

I have little faith in Dave Allison. Obviously under the table payments were made but Allison was a parasite.

What a joke by Robinson and his Herald Sun team to drag this story back out after what...20 years ago. The media obsession with Carlton is staggering.

From what I've heard they've been pleading with Mathieson to come out with a quote about why we should sack the coach.

It's actually embrassing by them as a news outlet.

obviously its appearance the day after Cripps re-signs is totally coincidental ... surely it's not possible they had this ready to go as soon as the Cripps extension was announced?

This is more fuel to my fire... but does our club react emotionally to this type of sh!t like we do

Find some pride FFS!

Why is it that the media is dragging out our cheating again... they go nowhere near the systematic cheating attempts by Essendon over the years. Systematic salary cap infringements for 6 seasons which netted them a premiership in 1993. The salary cap infringements was setup during Ron Evans final year at Essendon as the president... so he had to have known about it. But he later shafted Carlton as hard as he could when we breached. And then there was the draft tampering and tax avoidance during those 6 seasons.

Rumours of further salary cap infrinements in 2000, via the player websites deals, which appears to have, yet again, netted them a premiership!

And then after getting smashed in 2011, they went the needle and created a systematic doping regime. They got done for the lack of governance because they destroyed the records and then in the final wash, 32 of their players were banned from football for 12 months with 12 months backdated. The AFL hasn't removed those backdated banned games from the players records which leaves Dustbin Fletcher still on 400 games when he should have had 7 games removed and still be on 393.

Because Carlton breached in 2001 when we failed to disclose payments to Bradley and when we got pinged again in 2002 for systematic salary cap infringements, Carlton are always going to be labelled as cheats. Despite the fact that Essendon have been found guilty of a worse crime than salary cap breaches... only Carlton cheats!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club copped the most brutal sanctions in AFL history already. The only integrity that needs following up is that of the articles author and intent.
No I meant that he's comment relating to it still going in in the AFL with our clubs....

In relation to how Carlton was treated, yes agree in comparison to drugging players like essendope it was completely over the top punishment

No I meant that he's comment relating to it still going in in the AFL with our clubs....

In relation to how Carlton was treated, yes agree in comparison to drugging players like essendope it was completely over the top punishment

The AFL never was a level playing field and never will be as far as integrity goes. Ken Wood is more game show host than hard hitting investigator. Just follows public outcry. Essendon copped a whack, I'm more interested in the golden children of the league.

"and I know for a fact that it still goes on today"

Interesting.
How do you factor in all those third party agreements? I know there's some rules around it but i'm sure it would be hard to police...payments can be made in so many ways.

What about offering partners cushy jobs? Tom Scully's dad? Promising a job after their career?
These are all ways to get around it even though it essentially involves guaranteeing more money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back