Salary Survey - What are you worth?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm working in IT - currently IT manager in Australia for a US company - on 80K base + super + i get to travel - i'm off the the US in 2 weeks for a 'meeting'.

Been in the IT industry 6 years - don't have a degree but i'm planning on studying my Masters of IT now (paid for by the company) before going for another job and hopefully cracking the 6 figure mark

Work hard and with a bit of luck, you can really make it - like daddy4eyes said, i took a 10K paycut about 3 years ago as a career move and since then i've doubled my pay

I don't make a heap of cash from my job, but from my experience it's not what you make but how you use it. My brother works in the building industry with people who earn 100K and he reckons some of them live week to week and blow it all.

I've invested my money, bought two houses, paid one of them off and own my own home by the age of 30, get a nice dividend each year from some shares I've invested in and a nice 7K bonus come tax time due to some negative gearing on my other investment property in Tassy, which is increasing in value all the time.

It's all about how you use your money. The most important thing is that you enjoy your job, not how much it earns you.

Re: Salary Survey - What are your worth?

My wife was a B.A. at GS JB Were and didn't even attempt an accounting degree.

Yep, I'm a Business Analyst, have no qualifications and am nearing 100k. It's pretty cushy work besides the project work which can be quite time consuming.

Work as a courier. 50k with a car. Discounted gym membership. Discounted travel, international or domestic, hire cars, tyres. But do have to work a huge 48-50 hr week.

Fine for me and didnt have to waste my life at uni either. Hell, only went to yr 10!

Business analyst with a software company.

Did a simple commerce degree at uni for 3 years. Now on 42 + super. Expect this to be 50k by the end of the year (however will be going to europe for 6 months, which they dont know about).

Work as a courier. 50k with a car. Discounted gym membership. Discounted travel, international or domestic, hire cars, tyres. But do have to work a huge 48-50 hr week.

Fine for me and didnt have to waste my life at uni either. Hell, only went to yr 10!

My Fourth Grade Teacher in 1991: "It's not in the best interest of this country to educate its kids".

I worked as a payroll manager, then HR Manager, now back in Accounting with a public company, not a lot of accounting experience, but I'm 2 subjects away from my CPA qualification. Now I'm around 85K, should be around 100K by July and then into a Financial Controller role early next year.

I worked as a payroll manager, then HR Manager, now back in Accounting with a public company, not a lot of accounting experience, but I'm 2 subjects away from my CPA qualification. Now I'm around 85K, should be around 100K by July and then into a Financial Controller role early next year.

Nice! I assume your in public accounting as a manager? 85k seems pretty good for public practice.

We had a thread like this going about 12 months ago discussing what everyone is making, should make, and plans to make...

Personally I've been an accountant for 2.5 years and i'm on about $34k which is pretty lame. (they advertise the salary including super, ie. $37.5k)

Since I came on here a bad mouthed what I was getting I thought I better post an update and say I just got a 26% pay rise and am now on a total package of $46k... $42k excluding the super with about 2.5 to 3 years experience, unqualified.

I am happy with this, maybe the Big 4 firms are coming around. We were a long way behind as I think I rightly pointed out to them.

Whats the big deal? Its good to see what others are on. Its the only way of knowing if you are being paid fairly. If you just listen to what your boss tells you, you might think its reasonable to be getting paid $34K with 2 years experience and an accounting degree. But by comparing to others you can see if you are being ripped off and as a result may realise its time to look elsewhere.
I wouldn't put much faith in what people say here. Wages are inflated due to both the shame effect and the ego effect whereby those with low wages have a low probability of publishing their wage while those with a high wage have a high probability of publishing their wage. I get all my stats from the ABS and the Census. The average wage in Australia is $700 per week before tax. If you get more than this you're better than average.

How likely are you to be earning over $1000 per week for a certain occupation? I've compiled a table below based on statistics from the 2001 Census. Hope this helps.

myfuture-earnings.png

Source: http://norakism.blogspot.com/2007/06/job-earnings-in-australia.html

There was an old table in The Age about graduate starting salaries. It is below:

m09SALARIES.jpg

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/08/1057430203501.html

I wouldn't put much faith in what people say here. Wages are inflated due to both the shame effect and the ego effect whereby those with low wages have a low probability of publishing their wage while those with a high wage have a high probability of publishing their wage. I get all my stats from the ABS and the Census. The average wage in Australia is $700 per week before tax. If you get more than this you're better than average.

How likely are you to be earning over $1000 per week for a certain occupation? I've compiled a table below based on statistics from the 2001 Census. Hope this helps.

http://norakism.blogspot.com/2007/06/job-earnings-in-australia.html

Nice work there champ.

Personally I dont give a rats what everyone is making in the scheme of things, I just wanted some data so I could get what I thought was fair and reasonable.

Obviously some people land in favourable positions, others dont, we all have a role to fill. I was just trying to determine the market.

Like your table.

There's a lot more to how much you earn other than what job you do. You also have to consider things like how much education you've got, what kind of education you've got, and hard-to-measure things like general aptitude or verbal skills and even things like how hot you are. There is evidence to suggest that if you had a spare $30,000 lying around you would get better return on your investment if you put your money into plastic surgery than if you put that money into a bachelors degree.

In the US the median yearly salary for a male age 25+ with the following education levels are

Less than 9th grade: $15,461
High school dropout: $18,990
High school graduate: $28,763
Bachelors degrees: $50,916
Bachelors's degree or more: $55,751
Masters degree: $61,698
Doctoral degree: $73,853

SOURCE: US Census Bureau, 2003

This is from America, so things could be different in Australia, but it gives you an idea of how earnings are linked with education.

Others things may be important as well. E.g. a bachelors degree from Victoria University may not be the same as a bachelors degree from Harvard University, so the THES Global University rankings can be used. See http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniversityrankings/results/2006/

There's a lot more to how much you earn other than what job you do. You also have to consider things like how much education you've got, what kind of education you've got, and hard-to-measure things like general aptitude or verbal skills and even things like how hot you are. There is evidence to suggest that if you had a spare $30,000 lying around you would get better return on your investment if you put your money into plastic surgery than if you put that money into a bachelors degree.

In the US the median yearly salary for a male age 25+ with the following education levels are

Less than 9th grade: $15,461
High school dropout: $18,990
High school graduate: $28,763
Bachelors degrees: $50,916
Bachelors's degree or more: $55,751
Masters degree: $61,698
Doctoral degree: $73,853

SOURCE: US Census Bureau, 2003

This is from America, so things could be different in Australia, but it gives you an idea of how earnings are linked with education.

Others things may be important as well. E.g. a bachelors degree from Victoria University may not be the same as a bachelors degree from Harvard University, so the THES Global University rankings can be used. See http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniversityrankings/results/2006/

I'd suggest its no universal however as many of my friends who didnt go past year 10 makes the same, if not more than me.... or used to... so it still took me 3 years... even though I had the degree to get ahead. (starting 8 years behind once you factor in 11, 12, 3 years uni, 3 years work)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you suggesting the average person is on $36,400 per year before tax? I'd like to know where they get those numbers, sounds like they are taking into account the entire population, including those that can't work like children and the elderly.

The average salary is actually about $56,000. A Full Time entry level position is worth about $36,000. Eighteen year old kids straight out of school (with no experience) earn $40,000 in basically data entry roles where I work.

Are you suggesting the average person is on $36,400 per year before tax? I'd like to know where they get those numbers, sounds like they are taking into account the entire population, including those that can't work like children and the elderly.

The average salary is actually about $56,000. A Full Time entry level position is worth about $36,000. Eighteen year old kids straight out of school (with no experience) earn $40,000 in basically data entry roles where I work.

so you think every person who works is full time. :rolleyes:

wake up and realise a good percentage are casual and part time not on full hours. they are still part of the workforce you know.

christ thanks to the libs anybody who works 1 hour a fortnight is employed and thus would count in the figures.

The data is from 2003-2004, so things may have changed since then. In fact, it most certainly has since real wages have been going up, so that's why I approximated it to be about $700. But below is the distribution from the ABS.

DISTRIBUTION OF EQUIVALISED DISPOSABLE HOUSEHOLD INCOME, 2003–04

2.264E%21OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

Source: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/6523.0Main+Features12003-04?OpenDocument

so you think every person who works is full time. :rolleyes:

wake up and realise a good percentage are casual and part time not on full hours. they are still part of the workforce you know.

christ thanks to the libs anybody who works 1 hour a fortnight is employed and thus would count in the figures.

Ok well I'll go with: the average full time salary is about $56,000.

The average salary is not $56,000.

The data below has the highest salaries for each state, and has the state average wages. You will notice that the highest average salry for a state is the ACT (yes not a state) is only $44,664; whilst the lowest is Tassie at $33,847.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@...ACBB277878352202CA25729800182199?OpenDocument

The average wage was $850 per week in may 2007;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200705/s1925673.htm

I have an honours degree in finance, but I actually work in the imports department so I'm not really using my degree. I only took this job because I didn't have to interview for it.

There's not much room for progression so I'm currently looking elsewhere and I'm probably somewhat below my earning capacity at the moment. Hope so anyway!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back