Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reports coming out of the VFL trial game is Mclartys lack of pace is concerning.

Who told you that has not seen him Play. McLarty is Actually Quite Quick for 197cm's

I have a feeling Sam will become a fine talent for us, take over the temps we have for now (read, Dunn Schade) and also vecone a real fan favourite.

Up to him now.

Agree. Wouldnt surprise me if he ended up the best key back from the draft.
Could be at that.

What I look for is players who have slid down the draft pecking order in the last year before their draft, and why?

If it's say injury (eg McLarty) then I think, tick, that's a bad luck matter. And if they can recover they have high worth.

If it's because of deficiencies exposed (eg Jonty Scharenberg) then I'm no.t as fussed.

If it's really bad behaviour (eg Dayle Garlett, how's that working out?) then more Han happy to pass.

Sam looks the classic drop away based on injury concern. Attitude perfect.

It could be our key defender that we want over the long term

Found this https://www.afl*******************/tag/sam-mclarty/
Sam McLarty

Key Position Utility | Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
11/05/1998 | 197cm |91kg
Player Comparison: Dan McStay

Snapshot:

After winning a TAC cup premiership last year, Sam McLarty has had an injury interrupted year for the Chargers this year. Sam McLarty, a key position player at the Oakleigh Chargers, this year has had a tough year as injury has cruelled his top age year after being tipped by many as a high selection for the 2016 draft. But his story to become a draft prospect is one of pure inspiration.

When Sam was nine months old, he was diagnosed with profound deafness seeing him fitted with a bionic ear.

This year between the Oakleigh Chargers and Vic Metro, McLarty played a total of eight games and impressed as a key position utility. In his games this year he showed off his vise like hands and athleticism in air. In his eight games this year he averaged 13 disposals, five marks and kicked four goals as a swingman.

A shoulder injury has seen him miss a large chunk of games this season, after tearing his labrum in April. Surgery in September ruled him out of the draft combine, but the school captain of Yarra Valley Grammar is still hopefully of a chance to be drafted.

Strengths:

• Athleticism
  • Marking
  • Versatility
  • Rebounding
  • Decision making
One of McLarty’s biggest drawing points is his Athleticism. His speed and leaping ability is of the highest quality as a tall prospect. His speed is electric as a tall player which allows him unstoppable on the lead and allows him to take runs from defensive 50. His leaping allows him to take the ball at its highest point. This makes him a pack marking threat which in a draft that lacks height, might push him up the order.

Another trait that he has is his marking. McLarty has some of the strongest hands in the draft and it’s on show in contested situations. Whenever the ball is in his area you can see McLarty fly for marks fearlessly and usually pluck them in the air. McLarty in pack situations is very strong when he gets a run at the ball and can usually drag the ball down. On the lead, he is just as good as he takes the ball out in front and creates separation on his man. This marking ability keeps him in good stead as a key position prospect.

This year he has shown he can become quite an effective swingman when fit. After a good year as a key defender for the Oakleigh Chargers last year, he swung forward this year. This has allowed him to become a more effective player as he can be swung to the defensive end to have an impact if he’s struggling in the forward line or vise versa.

As a defender where he is most suited at this point has shown that he’s a threat on the rebound. This ability to grab the ball and go on runs makes him very effective key defender with ball in hand. Clubs would’ve taken notice of this and will be excited by the prospect of having a key defender who can run off like a halfback flanker.

Decision making is another thing that has impressed me – with ball in hand he is a calm decision maker as he often composes himself before dispose the ball to a teammate in a better position. This makes his possessions whether in defence or not worth more than most players as a key defender.

Improvements:

• Forward smarts
  • Ground pressure
One thing he lacks despite being touted as a good forward is his forward smarts. As a forward, McLarty can look a bit lost as he tries to make leads to areas where he won’t get the footy. This really limits his impact as a forward despite him being a great mark of the footy. This can be fixed easily better coaching at the elite level.

McLarty despite being mobile struggles with creating pressure on the ground. This is something that will have to be improved as players despite getting taller are better on the ground then ever. This might have to do with committing in the air at every chance but it could do with a lack of work rate on the ground.

Highlights:

Summary:

A player Sam reminds me of is Brisbane lions swingman Daniel McStay. Both players have shown that they are adept at both ends of the ground and have great athleticism despite their size. McStay, like McLarty, doesn’t apply the best pressure on the ground and isn’t the smartest forward which overall limits their impact.

McLarty due to injuries looks like he will fall down the draft order and could be a valuable selection as a late pick or rookie, if clubs tick off his medical conditions. He has all of the raw talent for being a tall but will take time after showing that he will defy adversity to make it to the big time. He’s one of the few quality talls in the draft and could be a steal for a club who will be willing to take the raw tall prospect.

Might be a timing issue then rather then pace issue giving the impression of a lack of pace, when it may be body work and timing.

Might be a timing issue then rather then pace issue giving the impression of a lack of pace, when it may be body work and timing.

Where is this lack of pace thing coming from? That be the last thing I think of Watching Him

Could be at that.

What I look for is players who have slid down the draft pecking order in the last year before their draft, and why?

If it's say injury (eg McLarty) then I think, tick, that's a bad luck matter. And if they can recover they have high worth.

If it's because of deficiencies exposed (eg Jonty Scharenberg) then I'm no.t as fussed.

If it's really bad behaviour (eg Dayle Garlett, how's that working out?) then more Han happy to pass.

Sam looks the classic drop away based on injury concern. Attitude perfect.

It could be our key defender that we want over the long term
Yeah Sams attitude is A++. One of the nicest players ive met over the years.

Yeah Sams attitude is A++. One of the nicest players ive met over the years.
That ensures he will do everything to get the best out of himself.

Don't have to think he may play with the dog and hurt his knuckle - that's a good thing

That ensures he will do everything to get the best out of himself.

Don't have to think he may play with the dog and hurt his knuckle - that's a good thing

Spot on and Injury was the only Reason why he Fell out of 1st Round

Coming off injury so just humming this time of year, quick tune up and full throttle after the break leading into VFL finals.

Coming off injury so just humming this time of year, quick tune up and full throttle after the break leading into VFL finals.

Only a few injuries away of getting a Game in the AFL Side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling Sam will become a fine talent for us, take over the temps we have for now (read, Dunn Schade) and also vecone a real fan favourite.

Up to him now.

I'm bullish on Sam. a good athlete and very good contested mark. I can see him playing seniors this year.

I'm bullish on Sam. a good athlete and very good contested mark. I can see him playing seniors this year.
Possible this season, very confident 2018 and beyond

Let's assume McLarty is the real deal

Let's hence look at our spine in a year or two or three

McLarty
Reid
Treloar
Moore
Hmmm

R. Grundy Pendlebury De Goey

LOOKS GOOD TO ME!

The second key forward is the tricky part

Excuse me if i'm out of line but it looked like he did a hammy from where I was standing on Friday. Went up in a marking contest against Clay Smith and was unable to chase Smith afterwards and put his hand up and limped to boundary. Happened in third quarter and I left at 3/4 time, so not sure if he was sighted for rest of the game but didn't look good.

Excuse me if i'm out of line but it looked like he did a hammy from where I was standing on Friday. Went up in a marking contest against Clay Smith and was unable to chase Smith afterwards and put his hand up and limped to boundary. Happened in third quarter and I left at 3/4 time, so not sure if he was sighted for rest of the game but didn't look good.

I missed that he may have been injured. But he definitely played last Q, at least the first 15. Was benched he last 5-10 minutes of the game. 3 times in the last, on Footscray counterattacks he struggled to keep up with his opponent on leads.

Now I'm not a punter who is going to make big statements or draw conclusions based on one half of VFL footy that I saw. There could be a myriad of reasons, maybe he was injured, maybe he was out of petrol tickets (he did have an interrupted pre-season), maybe his opponent was particularly quick, but you can only call it as you see it...on what I saw, he looked slow..Not so much straight line speed as agility

I sincerely hope the consensus on here is right and I am wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back