Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

The other tricky part is the age of Reid and Pendlebury. Assuming we draft a key forward Moore, McLarty and KPF2 will take another three years before they hit their straps. Just as Reid and Pendlebury will be on the downward slide or retiring. Managing the age profile of lists is a tricky business.
The end may come swiftly for Reidy but Pendles is a remarkably durable player who I think has a very good chance of having a successful twilight as a forward. Expecting him to play good footy well into his 30's and be a part of our next tilt.

The other tricky part is the age of Reid and Pendlebury. Assuming we draft a key forward Moore, McLarty and KPF2 will take another three years before they hit their straps. Just as Reid and Pendlebury will be on the downward slide or retiring. Managing the age profile of lists is a tricky business.

I think we need to see how McLarty, McCarthy, and Schade go this year both in terms of development and positionally. None have to be dominant KPPs, just able to offer that 2nd or 3rd option with further scope. After all, Doggies won a flag with some really inexperienced KPP types.

I think we need to see how McLarty, McCarthy, and Schade go this year both in terms of development and positionally. None have to be dominant KPPs, just able to offer that 2nd or 3rd option with further scope. After all, Doggies won a flag with some really inexperienced KPP types.

unless they come into the system as gun kids (moore) we are reluctant to play them early.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Pendles, he will play till he's at least 33, if not more.

He's the most professional player we've got, has had few injuries in his career and has never relied on speed to either win the ball or use it in the effective fashion he does. Robert Harvey said at a luncheon last year that he could see Pendles playing till his mid 30's, and he'd know about longevity.

But yeah our KPP stocks will take a hit when Reid goes, which may be sooner then later too.

I can understand the rationale for playing Schade. He won't get any better playing VFL. Only 20 odd AFL games isn't enough to judge him on, but the fumble and goal from Bontempelli when Schade led to the ball wasn't a good look. Not a hanging offence however as similar to Maynard trying to break the tackle and giving up a goal. Sometimes you have a hunch that a certain player is better long term value than someone else, so you play that player until they reward you with outstanding games. Payback could be in 10 games, 20 games, or 50 games. Meanwhile the coach has to wear the flak when the player stuffs up.
McLarty I believe had no U18 games in 2016 and couldn't train in the preseason. How can anyone judge his pace until he gets through his first season at Collingwood?
McCarthy has been recovering from foot issues throughout the whole preseason. It is for that reason that he survived to the rookie draft after the national draft. He has played so little football that he's impossible to judge, other than say he has good pace (coming from a soccer background) and a fantastic leap.

Has been very Promising in all the VFL Practise Games.

Take a Strong Mark, Uses the Ball Well and Good Speed for a 197cm Kid. I could see him getting a Few Games this Season

Has been very Promising in all the VFL Practise Games.

Take a Strong Mark, Uses the Ball Well and Good Speed for a 197cm Kid. I could see him getting a Few Games this Season
Dave, I think McLarty is the future.
If he can get fully fit, and naturally progress, he certainly will gave the work ethic to air it happen.
We might have our ready made longer term key defender.

That would be great news

Mate.. we set the standard.. we go above and beyond anything that anyone has ever seen.

Totally agree with this. I think this kid is our future
He's the best chance we've got. He was our first live pick in the draft. He will be numero uno in our defence, or we will be a spent force down back. We have to talk him up and he has to deliver accordingly or we may be without a key back for several years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mclarty impressed me at times during the VFL last week. Good overhead, sound disposal and mobility, and imposing size for a pup. Hopefully they throw Mclarty upfront for a quarter a week - develop him into a swingman

Great to have Dunn coaching him down back

I wouldn't be too concerned about Pendles, he will play till he's at least 33, if not more.

He's the most professional player we've got, has had few injuries in his career and has never relied on speed to either win the ball or use it in the effective fashion he does. Robert Harvey said at a luncheon last year that he could see Pendles playing till his mid 30's, and he'd know about longevity.

But yeah our KPP stocks will take a hit when Reid goes, which may be sooner then later too.
Quicky is a member of the medical profession, so he'd also know almost all there is to be known on longevity too!

He looked ok from the glimpse we saw, IMO. He's lost some of the puppy fat he was carrying and his skills look to have improved as you would expect from the shift to a professional environment. With Dunn's body very reliable I doubt he'll be exposed at all this year which will be good for his development.

Yeah I saw him get hit front on early on in the game but I thought the next quarter something else happened because he pushed the trainer away and look more like he was limping.
Happened in the last quarter - back pocket/HBF area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back