Hawks2011

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Chelsea
This is a ridiculous comparison as they're not even similar players but having an argument with a mate regarding who is the better player and have $50 riding on who wins the poll.

Sam Mitchell - Achievements
  • 5 x Best & Fairest
  • 4 x premiership player
  • 3 x All Australian
  • 1 x Brownlow
  • 1 x Rising star
  • 300 games
  • Premiership captain
Robbie Gray - Achievements

• 4 x All Australian
  • 3 x Best and Fairest
  • 2 x Port leading goal kicker

This is a ridiculous comparison as they're not even similar players but having an argument with a mate regarding who is the better player and have $50 riding on who wins the poll.

• 5 x Best & Fairest
  • 4 x premiership player
  • 3 x All Australian
  • 1 x Brownlow
  • 1 x Rising star
  • 300 games
  • Premiership captain

• 4 x All Australian
  • 3 x Best and Fairest

You know people are just going to vote Gray so you lose?

:moustache:

Masqualero

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Mitchell, but he didn't have the injury concerns that Gray did.

Gray slightly more talented but Mitchell the better player.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mitchell, but he didn't have the injury concerns that Gray did.

Gray slightly more talented but Mitchell the better player.
Gray was no where near the talent of Mitchell, Mitchell had the best kick and hands of any player in the last 20 years. God gave Mitchell stumpy limps and no speed to give everyone else chance against him.

Masqualero

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Gray was no where near the talent of Mitchell, Mitchell had the best kick and hands of any player in the last 20 years. God gave Mitchell stumpy limps and no speed to give everyone else chance against him.
Really, I think Gray is one of the most talented players in the comp.

It was injuries that held him back.

Mitchell seems to have gotten the absolute most out of what he does have however

Rising Star doesn’t mean s**t, Robbie was never gonna win it as a Pick. 55 and that’s not his fault.
As for flags, Mitchell played under Clarko, one of the greatest coaches of all time whereas Gray has played under Primus and Hinkley, coaches that never will see a flag.
Gray won an AFLCA MVP, an award that should be more prestigious than the Brownlow (ie: coaches>umpires)
Gray is one of the most talented players I’ve ever seen. I had to vote for him.

TJ1996

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EFFC, Blackhawks, Cubs, Bears
Rising Star doesn’t mean s**t, Robbie was never gonna win it as a Pick. 55 and that’s not his fault.

I agree that the Rising Star doesn't mean a damn thing, but the logic you've used as to why it doesn't is astounding. Mitchell was pick 36 after a year in the VFL, and then a season on the list where he'd played 9 games. Why would he have won it over every other eligible player?

I agree that the Rising Star doesn't mean a damn thing, but the logic you've used as to why it doesn't is astounding. Mitchell was pick 36 after a year in the VFL, and then a season on the list where he'd played 9 games. Why would he have won it over every other eligible player?
Generally later picks are less likely to play straight away. Obviously there are exceptions but bar injuries top 10 picks are wheeled out for round one, and then you get to pick 55 where you might only get to play in 1 or 2 games if you’re lucky. So with less games you’re unlikely to win the rising star. That and you might not get as much recognition.

• 5 x Best & Fairest
  • 4 x premiership player
  • 3 x All Australian
  • 1 x Brownlow
  • 1 x Rising star
  • 300 games
  • Premiership captain

• 4 x All Australian
  • 3 x Best and Fairest

who are you arguing with?

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Mitchell was incredible.
He was so calm and collected in heavy traffic. The game was running in slow motion to him.
Brilliant user of the footy.
Finals footy, pressure moments, it was always Mitchell who was leading from the front.

Robbie Gray is a lot more comparable to a Luke Parker who can play both midfield and forward during any given game.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Robbie Gray is far more exciting and talented but it has to be Sam Mitchell. Carried a poor list on his back through the 00's like Ablett did Gold Coast. Whereas Port have other Grays like Wingard and Wines.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
As for flags, Mitchell played under Clarko, one of the greatest coaches of all time whereas Gray has played under Primus and Hinkley, coaches that never will see a flag.
Gray won an AFLCA MVP, an award that should be more prestigious than the Brownlow (ie: coaches>umpires)
Gray is one of the most talented players I’ve ever seen. I had to vote for him.

The serious flaw in the "AFLCA" is that it can be manipulated. Much like the Coleman, players, even coaches, can set up plays for a contending player to get into the action and give him as much chance as possible to win. Even giving a vote, or worse, not giving a vote to someone that is contending!

Maybe an alternative is both coaches vote for the oppositions best 3 players on the day. If a coach believes they are not worthy of any votes, it is his prerogative to pass (and we have all seen those types of games)!

Or

Keep them hidden, it would certainly make it interesting and then it would be comparable to the Brownlow. In the event of a draw, the player with the most opposition coach's votes wins. Should they still be level, a fight to the death between Chuck Norris and his Shadow will determine the winner!

Anyway Gray wasnt even the best player that year, he was just able to stay fit or not get suspended for a month!

Also this is a silly thread, that's why I voted for Gray!

Back