Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t know what the legal ramifications were, but I wonder if things would have been different if he went away from the club at the start, for a short period of time and then came back and trained with his team mates instead of training with the ammos.

The club honourably supported him through the process as until there was a verdict, he wasn’t guilty of anything. Once he was found guilty and a sentence handed down (a sentence that doesn’t end until Feb 2020 ) they let him go. Whatever the specific reason for letting him go, the fact is he cant train or play with us in any form, so he might as well know and go now.

It sucks becuase I rated him but I’ll back the clubs judgement here. I’m guessing he didn’t show enough comitment during his time off.

What a waste, of talent, of a pick, of a career, needs to serve as a lesson to others.

No sympathy for him but, really just a shame to see someone throw it away like that.

Noble and IQ have really shown the way and relegated him to about 5th or 6th choice for a spot, he was on a hiding to nothing to ever get back.

However, the timing is still strange, I'd say he has not kept himself in good nic or shown any positive signs of turning things around.

Going by his Instagram Account he done something Really Stupid

Gee I was slammed by certain posters on this board for suggesting that the club sounded very non-committal in their statement after Murrays penalty was handed down and that he would likely be delisted. Seems to me that Collingwood weren’t impressed by his conduct during his time out. That’s the only explanation I can come up with given the clubs history with second chances in these scenarios. He might have been surplus with the introduction of Noble, but then again he or Noble would probably both be capable of pushing on to a wing, so a positional change wouldn’t have been too much of an issue, just as Thomas changed position to a small forward.

As Mentioned Above what he posted on Instagram was not a Player who was doing everything possible to stay fit and ready to come back.

To Busy Parting

Fashion seems like a passion of his so im glad he has something to keep him busy unlike some players who live and breath the game.

I’ll never bag a player for enjoying abit of Coke, just do it in your time off when you wont get piss tested.

We know that his public posting has shown squat about his efforts in the gym.
Unlike both of the convicted players that came before him.
Are you seriously going to defend him just because you don’t like my Aish views?
No, i’m going to defend him because you know ZERO about any work he did whilst banned. His social media posts prove nothing.

Making claims such as you did are purely based on your opinion ... don’t present them as facts.

As Mentioned Above what he posted on Instagram was not a Player who was doing everything possible to stay fit and ready to come back.

To Busy Parting
Dave, you can’t judge how someone spends a majority of their time from Instagram posts. You also can’t judge what they may have done where those photos were taken.

Most footy players hang out with friends, not all of them post on Social media. He is no different to most, other then he may share more often. And dress weird

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're making a bit of a habit of having one absolute howler of a recruitment each year. Wells, Murray and then Beams.

Testament to the blokes picking up the slack, hope it doesn't hurt us long term though.

What was the point of putting him on rookie list to only delist him. He must have really pissed off the club to delist now and not at end of our season.

A lot of chat about his Instagram but anyone looking at it would be left to think he hasn’t exactly applied himself for the last 12mths.

I guess Noble has taken his spot, what a waste of draft picks and a list position

Last edited:
Not so surprising news in the end, I thought they may have kept him a year to see how he came back, but with Noble there now and Quaynor coming through, it's the right call to let him go

Talented big time, obviously stuffed up with Club. Hope he gets his act together and bounces back.

Just catching up on this news. The first thing that struck me is the odd timing if it. Not just that he’s ASADA stuff has just been resolved and he is eligible to resume in Feb 2020, but the club usually waits until the season has concluded before delivering delistment news regarding players.
This was an exclusive by Marc McGowan, so he found out somehow through a leak (potentially Murray's management). I think given Murray wouldn't be having an exit meeting they can inform him now of his future.

Just catching up on this news. The first thing that struck me is the odd timing if it. Not just that he’s ASADA stuff has just been resolved and he is eligible to resume in Feb 2020, but the club usually waits until the season has concluded before delivering delistment news regarding players.

Might be trying to give him as much time as possible to find a new home. Wonder if Shaw gives him a run at the Roos.

The recruitment of Noble foreshadowed this decision a bit. I think we've handled it professionally. Allowed the process to run its course and made a tough decision. The lack of professionalism from Murray to take cocaine leading up to a game wouldn't have gone down well with the club I imagine. Personally I would have given him a second chance but happy either way.

Never rated Murray. His kicking was right up there with the worst in the AFL.

In saying that I thought there would be no way that he would be delisted after the club stuck with him through this saga. Didn’t think they had the balls to make this hard of a decision.

I like!

No, i’m going to defend him because you know ZERO about any work he did whilst banned. His social media posts prove nothing.

Making claims such as you did are purely based on your opinion ... don’t present them as facts.

I’m going to push back on this a bit ...

... the whole point of Instagram is to help promote you, and to support your personal brand ...

... all the more so for people like AFL footballers who will have had extensive media and social media training.

Sure, for all we know, Murray could have been in the gym every day busting his backside ...

... but what we do know for a fact is that he didn’t choose to project himself to the world as a lad who was busting his backside to earn his spot back in the team.

The core objective of AFL clubs is to bring pride to their members and supporters (winning games of footy and Premierships is just a means to that end). Murray’s social media profile while he was banned didn’t really show that he was buying into that.

I’m a little surprised by this. Do we not remember the genuine and rare line breaking ability he brought to our team? Do we not remember the Swans fans melting down over how they’d let him go??

I can only presume - as others have suggested - the club has seen something it really doesn’t like. And/or they really feel Quaynor/Noble will be superior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back