Rumour Sam Newman is about to be sacked by channel 9

Remove this Banner Ad

People keep saying that they prefer Front Bar. I've no idea how anyone would want to watch that show. Listening to Andy Mahler's cringey fake-laugh everytime either of the other two say anything. I like Sam Pang, he's a witty dude. Molloy is like a coke addled uncle, he's likeable at times, but is mostly just noise that the family doesn't want.

Sam Newman is the footy show. Say what you like about the man but he's always got rock solid views and never waivers from it no matter what anyone says. I find that refreshing, in a world where people's views are swayable by a light breeze. Not to say I agree with what he says a lot of the time, but the world would be a boring place without contrarians. Is more than intelligent enough to make a good argument too, no matter which stance he takes.

Last edited:
If you were Sam, why would you care? He'll be 72 this year, would have a king's ransom stashed away, he doesn't need footy to survive, why wouldn't he just retire and live the good life?
Because he's an attention seeking bigot who's only relevant when he causes headlines.
He couldn't survive knowing that no one is talking about him !!!

good - still won't watch it.

Front Bar FTW (even if they have that campaigner Maher on)

Haven't watched the Footy Show for some time, not because of any other reason except I just grew tired of it. I tend to avoid football panel shows but last night I tuned into Front Bar and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, Andy Maher is on it, but he seems to know his place and lets the others do most of the work. I really think the reason it is good is because they didn't waste time with current players who aren't allowed to say anything anyway, they had former players who could speak honestly and openly. Very refreshing, will watch again.

Rebecca Madden is the worst.
I don't get this, why is she the worst? Hutchy I get, he's a certified boner. But people keep saying that Maddern is bad, why? I think she's done well to handle the transition of the footy show being an absolute boys club to having to make up for Hutchy's awkwardness.

Sam Newman is the footy show. Say what you like about the man but he's always got rock solid views and never waivers from it no matter what anyone says. I find that refreshing, in a world where people's views are swayable by a light breeze.

That's true to a degree, but he seems to always take the opposite point of view whether he truly believes it or not, and at times this can be rather annoying.

That's true to a degree, but he seems to always take the opposite point of view whether he truly believes it or not, and at times this can be rather annoying.

He's a university educated man from a seemingly good upbringing and has probably never struggled with money. Largely, footy fans are probably more likely to be from blue collar backgrounds (well, me and everyone I know). Makes you wonder if this has much to do with it? He's always tried to show his vocabulary off, which never comes across well.

People keep saying that they prefer Front Bar. I've no idea how anyone would want to watch that show. Listening to Andy Mahler's cringey fake-laugh everytime either of the other two say anything. I like Sam Pang, he's a witty dude. Molloy is like a coke addled uncle, he's likeable at times, but is mostly just noise that the family doesn't want.

Sam Newman is the footy show. Say what you like about the man but he's always got rock solid views and never waivers from it no matter what anyone says. I find that refreshing, in a world where people's views are swayable by a light breeze. Not to say I agree with what he says a lot of the time, but the world would be a boring place without contrarians. Is more than intelligent enough to make a good argument too, no matter which stance he takes.

Yeah, I agree. Sam Pang is hysterical but how people can bag out Sam Newman but say Mick Molloy is funny is beyond me. And Maher is utterly boring and predictable.

It's a shiny new toy, their show, and will probably do quite well. And going head to head with TFS in its death throes is probably an astute call by 7. But to even compare the shows in terms of any sort of qualitative analysis is garbage. TFB won't last beyond next season.

Looks like nope to this thread. Hutchy is out, Eddie is in and Sam stays right where he is.

Still won't watch it.

Last edited:
Eddie returning is a big move, but if they continue to sabotage Sam then the show is toast. Newman tells the truth and nobody likes the truth...Can Eddie deal with it? He's gonna have too...Sam was all set to have a crack at the AFL over the affairs scandal, but was cut off at the knees last night. As for ratings? What are they exactly? Not once in my lifetime of TV viewing has anyone ever ask me to fill out a ratings survey. As for the Front Bar, i have enough stuff in my life that bores me to tears...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a huge Eddie fan but better than Hutchy - who is Mr. Unlikeable. Condescending and arrogant

Perfect. The show has always been bagging somebody out who takes themselves too seriously (Garry, Eddie), somebody who takes the piss out of that person for being precious (Trevor, JB) Sam Newman who is the star of the show, and a couple of dimwits who he interacts well with (Billy and Crawford). The show is dead without Sam. That interaction between McGuire and Lyon being sooks, and others giving them crap is super important. With Maddern and Hutchy it's become very disengaging and bland. I want to see Sam say s**t that will get him in trouble, I want to see Eddie with a red face, with the rest of the panel laughing at him, because that's what we want to see. We all have that friend who cops crap like that all day, and we love them for it.

Last edited:
Eddie being back will be good.

And I actually really like Bec on the show, got a lot of time for her.

Me too, I hope she starts bantering Eddie really hard. We want him and Sam on the edge of saying something sexist at all times.

She's boring as batshit , has no opinions whatsoever unless its about Geelong.

That's not her job, that was Hutchy's job. The job he no longer has, and everyone loves it.

That's not her job, that was Hutchy's job. The job he no longer has, and everyone loves it.
Yeah, that's how it's meant to work. After Eddie left the first time how it has worked has been:

- The opinionated footy 'expert' - Garry, then JB last year, then Hutchy
- The neutral party - JB, then Bec
- Sam

The question is, will Eddie take on the opinion side or will Bec be able to deliver more of that side?

As an aside, I walked past Hutchy in Chapel Street on Sunday. He looked like an unkempt, lonely, fat man. I said to my wife as we walked past him, "That's Hutchy from The Footy Show". She couldn't believe the guy we had just walked past was on TV
Is it any wonder Hutchy looked so depressed....he knew he was about to get the chop

Yeah, I agree. Sam Pang is hysterical but how people can bag out Sam Newman but say Mick Molloy is funny is beyond me. And Maher is utterly boring and predictable.

It's a shiny new toy, their show, and will probably do quite well. And going head to head with TFS in its death throes is probably an astute call by 7. But to even compare the shows in terms of any sort of qualitative analysis is garbage. TFB won't last beyond next season.

The only reason why TFB got good ratings, is because it was on straight after the footy. Usually I've either gone to sleep on the couch, or I've left the TV on and gone completely AFK as it's a fried-ay night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back