Draft Profile Sam Walsh - Selected by Carlton with pick 1!

Remove this Banner Ad

Are people actually calling this a super draft based off a round of JLT action? Every second year is called the next 2001 by draft watchers, the only one that has come close is 2013. Call me jaded, but I’ve never forgotten Jordan Gysberts getting 30 touches in his first two games and never being heard from again. Best to let these guys get a few quality AFL level games under their belt

I don’t care who he plays like. He will be remembered as Sam Walsh and other players will be compared to him. We don’t know how good he will be, just speculating and comparing to other players.

Signs are he will be an absolute accumulator with an inside and outside game. He will play like Sam Walsh.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So comparisons are an invalid way to measure a young player, unless they’re being compared to someone who, as of now, has yet to debut?

Are people actually calling this a super draft based off a round of JLT action? Every second year is called the next 2001 by draft watchers, the only one that has come close is 2013. Call me jaded, but I’ve never forgotten Jordan Gysberts getting 30 touches in his first two games and never being heard from again. Best to let these guys get a few quality AFL level games under their belt

Hmm I wonder if you would have this view if Melbourne drafted Sam Walsh?

Hmm I wonder if you would have this view if Melbourne drafted Sam Walsh?

I’d probably wait to see how he goes when he debuts mate. He’s not doing anything Cripps and Oliver didn’t do in their first year. Forgive me if i’m not convinced he’s the best footballer I’ve ever seen based off one JLT match.

I’d probably wait to see how he goes when he debuts mate. He’s not doing anything Cripps and Oliver didn’t do in their first year. Forgive me if i’m not convinced he’s the best footballer I’ve ever seen based off one JLT match.
Neither player had 28 possessions in their first year as they didn't have the tanks to run out games. Walsh will have a better first season than either of them, even if he doesn't become as good a player long term.

Neither player had 28 possessions in their first year as they didn't have the tanks to run out games. Walsh will have a better first season than either of them, even if he doesn't become as good a player long term.
Mate, its the pre-season. Its a bit different when the actual stuff starts, the intensity multiplies. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled for Carlton if he's a gun, but it's the pre-season.

The arrogance and entitlement of SA Clubs of openingly stating their intentions of luring Lukosius and Rankine is both toxic and Un-Australian.

Sigh

You know this is bullshit right?

At a press conference a Victorian coach (or recruiter I forget) made a comment to the press that they would be tracking the Victorian’s drafted interstate and then Cripps (ports list manager) who was sitting next to him mentioned having a word to the sa boys while having a chuckle

If you’re a Victorian crying outrage you’re ignorant and worse.

Cripps literally repeated what the Victorian said in a cheeky way and you lot got on your high horse.

Meanwhile didn’t Victorian clubs lure like 20 players last off season ?

Where is your outrage at that? Are you offended that Shiel went to Victoria? We’re you outraged at the sheer gall pf docherty to request a trade the Carlton?

Sam Walsh is a special footballer so happy Silvagni held firm, he’ll keep on going and have a great career as a Bagger. Lukosius and Rankine are exceptional too no doubt but Sam’s poise, professionalism and physical preparedness are so unique for a younster.

Sam Walsh is a special footballer so happy Silvagni held firm, he’ll keep on going and have a great career as a Bagger. Lukosius and Rankine are exceptional too no doubt but Sam’s poise, professionalism and physical preparedness are so unique for a younster.
Walsh will most likely be a 250 gamer but i think the debat out there before the draft was that Lukosius and Rankine are potentially more freakish but are more of a risk.
No doubt Carlton made the right call though IMO.

Walsh will most likely be a 250 gamer but i think the debat out there before the draft was that Lukosius and Rankine are potentially more freakish but are more of a risk.

I agree

Most astute followers see Walsh as having a great level of consistency/bust proof, while many others have great game changing/xfactor abilities, attached with a greater risk of not meeting expectations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hope Rankine stays long term at the Suns, its unhealthy for the comp to have Gold Coast being regarded as a Feeder Club.

The arrogance and entitlement of SA Clubs of openingly stating their intentions of luring Lukosius and Rankine is both toxic and Un-Australian.

The thing about Walsh is that he reportedly wasn't a flight risk if drafted interstate, he is no Mummy's Go Home boy, which is why The Suns reportedly were desperate to trade up for him.

This could be a 2001 Draft all over again from the sound of it

Absolutely hilarious after Carlton try and get rvery single Victorian GWS player every single year.

You went for Shiel and Setterfield last year alone. Give it a spell

odd combo for mine, i don't see them as being that similar to each other.

i saw a bit of simon black in him, wouldn't mind that.
They don't have to be similar. It is possible for a player to posses qualities of different players that do not play the same style or posses the same attributes.

Sigh

At a press conference a Victorian coach (or recruiter I forget) made a comment to the press that they would be tracking the Victorian’s drafted interstate and then Cripps (ports list manager) who was sitting next to him mentioned having a word to the sa boys while having a chuckle

Cripps literally repeated what the Victorian said in a cheeky way and you lot got on your high horse.

Where is your outrage at that? Are you offended that Shiel went to Victoria? We’re you outraged at the sheer gall pf docherty to request a trade the Carlton?
No to forget St Kilda tweeting something along the lines, that they'll after Ben King from Gold Coast, on draft night.

There's not really a wrong call to make picking from those three.

There's not really a wrong call to make picking from those three.

Overall that is how I felt towards end of season when was sure we had a pick that early.. Although not totally convinced on Lukoosuis as the others. His size and type could just as easily turn into a Jack Watts type and have a career but never as brilliant as some expected when a youngster. Think I trust Ben King more to be a gun. The pure mid is the one I truly wanted and we got but it really was a good draft to have any picks in top 6. Cats should be super happy with Jordan Clark 10. In a normal draft here he probably taken around a pick 4 type imo but so much top end youngsters bargain at 10 for Cats.

Sigh

Docherty's dad was dying when he asked for the trade. His dad died during his first preseason at Carlton. Terrible for the young man, and a pretty understandable reason to ask for a trade. Plenty of other examples of players returning home to Victoria for little reason. Maybe pick one of them instead.

Overall that is how I felt towards end of season when was sure we had a pick that early.. Although not totally convinced on Lukoosuis as the others. His size and type could just as easily turn into a Jack Watts type and have a career but never as brilliant as some expected when a youngster. Think I trust Ben King more to be a gun. The pure mid is the one I truly wanted and we got but it really was a good draft to have any picks in top 6. Cats should be super happy with Jordan Clark 10. In a normal draft here he probably taken around a pick 4 type imo but so much top end youngsters bargain at 10 for Cats.

Have a distinct feeling this draft will end up being the best first round, you have talents like Butters going late first round, Caldwell going 11, etc. It's a very very deep first round.

Not sold. Plenty of talented youngsters that not even from same draft pool that could have a great year in 2019 too. RS always open.

It's a gut feeling as he's the most ready to go talent. Bailey Smith and Caldwell some chance, although Caldwell probably won't play enough. Rankine some hope as well. If I were tipping, Walsh would be the one.

the sheer gall pf docherty to request a trade the Carlton?
Docherty was not getting a fair go as a youngster under Voss. He was a big Carlton supporter as a kid. It was a no brainer he asked to be traded to us when he did as he was not getting regular games at Lions. Their loss for not knowing what they had. I remember thinking why Voss kept leaving him out of side so often. Doch had good reason to want out. Polec also left same off season back to SA for similar reasons. It is the ones that play 40 games in first two seasons and up and leave clubs should feel dirty about. I personally agree with Gary Lyon that draftees should be on a 4 year contract initially to give the club drafting more chance to get player more inclined to invest in that club more. Two years is not much. Most youngsters take 3 or 4 pre-seasons to start to become the players they can be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back