Toast Sam Walsh signs on until end 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything, absolutely everything he spoke about was the team and not himself. Go back and watch it when he got the award.

Walsh and Cripps, I think it’s an impossibility they don’t win a premiership at some stage with us.

My god....if they get through having relatively injury free careers they are absolute locks for team of the 21st century

watching last years u18 champs and was blown away by Isaac Rankine. Played unbelievably. Thought we gotta take this kid but the name Sam Walsh was still being touted as the no.1 by our people......how right they were !!!
Rankines debut season was ruined by severe injury which was a shame for him and G.C. He will be an excitement machine in time.

What we have got is a generational player . A player that with natural improvement will sit comfortably along side Judd and Cripps as our greatest of the modern era.

It has been a privilege and a pleasure to watch him and be amazed that a first year player could do what he has.
Composure, competitiveness , balance, incredible awareness, tough as teak, a relentless runner and can snag a goal and clunk a grab. (Phew, did I miss anything?)
Crippa got ripped for the rising star in his early years........ Walshy wont be.

A STAR IS BORN

PS. Last time I exclaimed this (at the top of my lungs after a couple of frothies) was new years eve 1999 . I think this kid has a slightly better temperament and attitude ;) although nobody had more ability than the big dill FEV.

Last edited:
The lack of respect this kid gets from the media is unbelievable. Ever since Cornes started his one man crusade for Rozee the rest of the media pack have followed suit. Was listening to RSN this morning and they were comparing him & Worpel
and who had the better year. Worpel has played one too many games last season to qualify to this year’s Rising Star but they made it obvious it would have been's Worpel's trophy if he was eligible. FFS, what does this kid have to do to get the credit he deserves. Not even getting the most possessions in a rookie year is enough for these *******s.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lack of respect this kid gets from the media is unbelievable. Ever since Cornes started his one man crusade for Rozee the rest of the media pack have followed suit. Was listening to RSN this morning and they were comparing him & Worpel
and who had the better year. Worpel has played one too many games last season to qualify to this year’s Rising Star but they made it obvious it would have been's Worpel's trophy if he was eligible. FFS, what does this kid have to do to get the credit he deserves. Not even getting the most possessions in a rookie year is enough for these f*ckwits.

They've tried all year.
Before the draft at was Lukousious and Rankine.
Then during the year it went from Rozee to Stack.
Then during the Champs it was about how next year Rowell and Anderson will be even better.
And now it's all about Walsh Vs Worpel.
Like Doc said on RSN, nobody wants a 1.01 Brownlow favourite as it's makes for a non story.
I'm sure the person least phased by the whole scenario would be Sam Walsh.
Gun.

Best we get used to this coming about with Walsh. Why?

1. He's not flashy, yet simply gets things done.
2. He likely won't even be seen to be our premium mid.
3. If he was taken at pick #3 and not the pick #1, he'd already be viewed to be a better player than he is.

We know what we have in Walsh and he'll make for a great part of the good whole for years to come. This is good enough.

It's all rubbish because the media need a good story and many of them dislike Carlton.

"No.1 pick turns out to be great player and was a good choice" just isn't much of an appealing story especially when it's Carlton.

Let's rewrite late 2018/2019 for a sec:

Carlton select Connor Rozee with pick 1.
Port select Sam Walsh with pick 5.

Result:

Carlton: Rozee is good but performs more inconsistently than at Port due to being in a worse team (particularly rounds 1-11).
Port: Walsh plays even better than at Carlton due to more senior support and an all-round more capable team.

Media narrative: Carlton has made a blunder by overlooking a generational player for a flashy but possibly inconsistent one.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. They're both great players but very different and will both have amazing careers.

Shindig starts at 12 today apparently at showgrounds, thanks to another shemozzle by the AFL, the Central Pier dock where it origanally was slated to be held had deterorated badly and was deemed unsafe.

Makes you wonder if Bozo the Clown is actually running the AFL .

Cos nothing says "we value you" (to the generation of super talented young kids that will entertain us for the next 10+ years) like a dilapidated old warehouse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back