SANFL List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

That has been a problem since virtually day one of the current sanfl set up, where unfortunately too many blokes who have worn the PB's in recent times wouldn't have lasted one training session under Fos Williams or Jack Cahill, or more likely wouldn't have been invited to train in the first place.

I have a budget here somewhere from about 8 seasons back where of 3 top up players named for the Maggies the tallest was 165 cm, and there was another game from around the same time which was also played at Alberton where a bloke who apparently wasn't in the top 40 magoos players at Unley started on the bench, came on early in the 2nd half, but couldn't get near the ball and was never selected again.

If there aren't too many injuries at AFL level the Maggies should be more competitive this season, but as has been suggested before, apart from the hoped for development of draftees, younger players, or AFL regulars returning from injury I doubt anyone who is calling the shots at Alberton really gives a fat rat's clacker about the results!

I believe WGT has been quoted as not being happy about the Maggie's demise, so maybe he can stir that pot up as well, but I suspect he will be under enough pressure dealing with the kokmeister and kern to get too involved in other stuff.
Love how when we scrapped our reserves at tge end of 2018 we said we did it because it what was holding us back in getting better contracted players as without it it would free up salary etc. Yet since then our lists have been weaker and weaker and we've had way more turn over!

Yes we got some good players, Corcoran came back which was great, I rate Weidemann, both Ethan and Nick Moore. But bloody hell we've seen dome dross, F-ing Cheeseman who's going around again! The Ferrari boys who are going again! Bloody hell.

Jed Hagan has returned to East Fremantle.
Very disappointing, hopefully when we join an AFL reserves comp we can attract SANFL and WAFL league players instead of div 2 amateur league players who shouldn’t be anywhere near an AFL squad.

Love how when we scrapped our reserves at tge end of 2018 we said we did it because it what was holding us back in getting better contracted players as without it it would free up salary etc. Yet since then our lists have been weaker and weaker and we've had way more turn over!

Yes we got some good players, Corcoran came back which was great, I rate Weidemann, both Ethan and Nick Moore. But bloody hell we've seen dome dross, F-ing Cheeseman who's going around again! The Ferrari boys who are going again! Bloody hell.

I recall the reason for the SANFL reserves side being scrapped was the quality of players we could get were not up to standard, we were losing games every week by 60-150 points. So it was a waste of money running it especially without zones and juniors.

I recall the reason for the SANFL reserves side being scrapped was the quality of players we could get were not up to standard, we were losing games every week by 60-150 points. So it was a waste of money running it especially without zones and juniors.
The ressies made finals in 2015 and 2017. The club just didn't want to put the effort in. Then used it as an excuse to scrap em.

Very disappointing, hopefully when we join an AFL reserves comp we can attract SANFL and WAFL league players instead of div 2 amateur league players who shouldn’t be anywhere near an AFL squad.
The thing is we can attract! The club just doesn't bother. Look who the crows have Madgen, Haysman, Templeton. They also had last year Sharrad, MacKenzie, Wright. These guys would kill our contracted boys and they did last year. The crows actually bother and try, we just go "oh let's just get some 18 year old who can't even make an SANFL reserves side and hope he's a draft prospect"

From memory that reserve's team contained a lot of Academy players during the brisvegas seed thrower's time at the club, and you are right they were copping regular horrendous cricket score size smackings from most other clubs' magoos line ups!

You may know the answer to this, but I can't recall any player from that set up becoming even a solid sanfl player ( unless it was with another club), let alone being good enough to be drafted to the top level?

From memory that reserve's team contained a lot of Academy players during the brisvegas seed thrower's time at the club, and you are right they were copping regular horrendous cricket score size smackings from most other clubs' magoos line ups!

You may know the answer to this, but I can't recall any player from that set up becoming even a solid sanfl player ( unless it was with another club), let alone being good enough to be drafted to the top level?
Levi Proude was an absolute gun! But he's a relestate agent, so he'd make way more money doing that and playing in the country.

Jed Hagan has returned to East Fremantle.
I'm sure I heard Norton/Walsh calling his name in the internal on Friday night, having a set shot for goal and didn't have a number. I didn't have my eyes on the screen, so can't confirm it was him.

Dustin Launer reminds me a lot of Duursma in the way he moves and in his stance. If anything he looks smoother in his running and kicking action. I had to think for a minute if had I just dreamt that Duursma had been traded. He and Logan Evans give me some hope that we will have some capable backups.

From PowerPlus's intra-club pictures thread, looks like Weidemann is sticking around another year?

Lad on the right looks familiar too.
1708145773234-png.1907254

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New news from that article is...

Re-signed: Dylan Aldridge

New signing: Harry Williams (aligned with South Clare Demons), recruited from North Adelaide's reserves.

Gone: Brayden Kirk, Will Francou, Jackson Lee, Campbell Wildman, Charlie McArthur, Ethan Miller, Brodie Motlop.

Changes in aligned clubs:
Cheesman goes from Unley Jets to Glenunga.
Logan Evans goes from Norwood to Hectorville.
Launer goes from Southern Saints to Eudunda Robertstown.
Nick Moore goes from Port Districts to SMOSH West Lakes.

Rome Burgoyne and Benny Barrett not listed, yet, perhaps later in year...

For some reason new signing Brock Thomson is not listed either...

Last edited:
New news from that article is...

Re-signed: Dylan Aldridge

New signing: Harry Williams (aligned with South Clare Demons), recruited from North Adelaide's reserves.

Gone: Brayden Kirk, Will Francou, Jackson Lee, Campbell Wildman, Charlie McArthur, Ethan Miller, Brodie Motlop.

Changes in aligned clubs:
Cheesman goes from Unley Jets to Glenunga.
Logan Evans goes from Norwood to Hectorville.
Launer goes from Southern Saints to Eudunda Robertstown.
Nick Moore goes from Port Districts to SMOSH West Lakes.

Rome Burgoyne and Benny Barrett not listed, yet, perhaps later in year...

For some reason new signing Brock Thomson is not listed either...
Thompson might have done preseason then decided not sign. Dallas Hill did that once, so did Ben Edwards

Hamish Hartlett just uploaded this. Every player in attendance, no Thompson so I'd say he didn't end up signing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240302_145833_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240302_145833_Instagram.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back