Competitions SBBFL Off-Season Thread 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Farewell to kade simpson.
Great servant of the club.
Drafted in the OG draft.
Late if i remember, because no one wanted a bloke over 30.
Been a top backman each year.

I think it may be Simmos last year next year..
But been saying that for a few years now so who knows?

Cursing hitting the early draft and trading hard again, as he has the last couple of years.
Starting to look strong.
Especially that GD section.
Doc, Llyod, Simo, thats 3 of the top 5 nearly.
Assuming brayshaw is no longer def..

Cursing hitting the early draft and trading hard again, as he has the last couple of years.
Starting to look strong.
Especially that GD section.
Doc, Llyod, Simo, thats 3 of the top 5 nearly.
Assuming brayshaw is no longer def..

Three years of consolation finals, Death. I’m desperately keen to break into the top tier. Defense is looking much better, and some nice depth. Hoping that a few mid/forwards break out next year and start posting some big numbers, and I don’t miss Treloar, Acres and Steele too much. McCluggage, Taranto, Parish, Dunkley. If Rowan Marshall finds another gear and becomes a consistent avenue to goal for the Saints he could post some big scores too. 2 Metre Peter to bounce back from a horrid year.

It's with deep regret I inform you Bogan Juniors has told me he won't be able to continue in the league for another year. He is going through a personal matter and has said fantasy football couldn't be further from his mind at this point in time. Wish him all the best.

I do however have a replacement ready to fill his spot. TheSmokies has been jealous of me talking about this league all year.

It's with deep regret I inform you Bogan Juniors has told me he won't be able to continue in the league for another year. He is going through a personal matter and has said fantasy football couldn't be further from his mind at this point in time. Wish him all the best.

I do however have a replacement ready to fill his spot. TheSmokies has been jealous of me talking about this league all year.
Sorry to hear about bogan. Hope things work out for him.

Great to have someone lined up already to take over the team.

Welcome TheSmokies

Hey Orasia Fantazio. The guy who actually started this league had to drop out this year due to family/study, but expressed some hope he may be able to rejoin at some point. Do you mind if we offer him first dibs? And if he is still too busy then we would be more than happy to welcome TheSmokies on board.

Hey Orasia Fantazio. The guy who actually started this league had to drop out this year due to family/study, but expressed some hope he may be able to rejoin at some point. Do you mind if we offer him first dibs? And if he is still too busy then we would be more than happy to welcome TheSmokies on board.
Look I would love to join this league but if he wants in then I completely understand, if you ever need another person or want to expand then I am keen to join.

Look I would love to join this league but if he wants in then I completely understand, if you ever need another person or want to expand then I am keen to join.
I have sent a PM to Armoooo asking him if he would like to rejoin the league, and again he has been tagged in this post. If we haven't heard of him come Monday, I'd say he is still pretty busy. His browsing history says last seen on 01st July so I am pretty sure he is unlikely to rejoin.

We are always keen to have new players who share our enthusiasm for the competition, so confirming TheSmokies as the 16th coach to play in the league will be an exciting development. Just a heads up to all the other players though. I am going to put a trade proposal through to TheSmokies this afternoon on the very strong liklihood that he will be confirmed in his new role come Monday! Fair warning!

simonoz Bogan Juniors St Kilda Death majortinkle Phoenix_9 Jonzi Orasia Fantazio PetWussy Left_Billings

Hey guys. A couple of tough questions to be asked, before we get too far into trading.
  1. Is there anybody here who is thinking that they need to relinquish their coaching position for the 2019 season? We get coaching fatigue every year, and we should get ahead of anyone who may be thinking that 2019 is going to be too demanding for them to be meaningfully involved in this league.
  2. If we are all still committed to the new season, should we contemplate increasing the competition? Or are we happy with the current structure of ten teams. Not trying to push it in any direction, and my vote is to stay as is, so don't shoot the messenger. Just putting it out there.
  3. I know we use SC for scoring, but UF does allow us certain flexibilities. We could allocate positioning based on actual in-season deployments, especially with regard to KEY position players. So if you have a forward who has clearly been reshaped as a defender, ala Liam Jones, and all the official AFL websites are currently showing him as a defender should we adjust his position in UF and make the change immediately available to the lucky coach. Again I think the official AFL ratings site is the best place to ascertain at the moment KEY position status.
I’ve been thinking about the player classification point. The downside is that they only ever list a player as a Key Forward or a Key Defender, never as both.
Case in point, Cale Hooker, still named as a Key Forward in the official AFL player ratings, even tho he spent most of the second half of the season as a Key defender.

In a positive for me, Justin Westhoff is named as a Key Forward which would help immensely, because that’s what I drafted him as....

Nevertheless I think we should stick with the champion data classifications, even with their limitations.

Flaming Phoenix announces their first round of delistments:

Sam Wright. Sam joined us as a free agent in the final couple months of the season to plug a hole in the backline when we were decimated by injuries. We wish him the best of luck in the future.

Jarrod Brander. Brander was a relatively high draft pick for us last season, but we can’t see him cracking the side for the foreseeable future and will let him find a new home. Hopefully he fulfills his potential elsewhere.

Brandon Matera. Matera was picked up during a purple patch in 2017, but has been pretty useless since. We hope his SBFFL career continues at some stage.

Best of luck to Sam, Jarrod and Matera, they will all (not) be missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been thinking about the player classification point. The downside is that they only ever list a player as a Key Forward or a Key Defender, never as both.
Case in point, Cale Hooker, still named as a Key Forward in the official AFL player ratings, even tho he spent most of the second half of the season as a Key defender.

In a positive for me, Justin Westhoff is named as a Key Forward which would help immensely, because that’s what I drafted him as....

Nevertheless I think we should stick with the champion data classifications, even with their limitations.
I think we should go with afl fantasy position changes during the season too.

Add in lynch, scully.
Thats 5 of mine from the original draft set loose.
Will i be better or worse?
Time will tell.
Probably worse..
Ah well we cant all be winners!

According to AFL classifications:
Nick Haynes - KD
Justin Westhoff - KF
Yes please for 2019!!!

... but Tom Jonas not a key defender.... yeowza. Will be interesting to see champion data’s classifications for 2019

Last edited:
According to AFL classifications:
Nick Haynes - KD
Justin Westhoff - KF
Yes please for 2019!!!

... but Tom Jonas not a key defender.... yeowza. Will be interesting to see champion data’s classifications for 2019
Something definitely out of whack there.

upload_2018-9-9_17-29-58.png

I think these are closer to the mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back