Competitions SBBFL Off-Season Thread 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m assuming you lot will get behind a fellow coach and be all on the Pies today !!!

Good luck today mate. I dislike both teams but unfortunately I dislike you blokes just a little more.
Should be a ripper either way, I’m planning on being drunk enough by half time not to care about the result!

Anyone looking for some KD depth? I have a bit and looking for some KF depth

1. Steven May (KD) - 81.7
2. Aaron Francis (Probably KD only) - 80.8
3. Marcus Adams (KD) - 69.5
4. Jake Kolodjashnij (KD) - 59.0
5. Aaron Naughton (KD) - 57.3
6. Jordan Ridley (KD) - 53.7
7. Ben Mckay (Probably KD only) - DNP

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey guys keen to know how you think we should structure up for the new rules governing rookie drafting and the mid-season draft. I think the new rules are that players who retire or suffer a season ending (LTI) injury before March 15th can be placed on an 'Inactive List' and a new player can be added via the rookie list. Also clubs who have a vacant rookie spot can participate in the mid season rookie draft.

Ideas? St Kilda Death majortinkle Phoenix_9 Left_Billings PetWussy Orasia Fantazio simonoz Jonzi TheSmokies

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/afl-brings-in-midseason-rookie-draft-for-2019-

Hey guys keen to know how you think we should structure up for the new rules governing rookie drafting and the mid-season draft. I think the new rules are that players who retire or suffer a season ending (LTI) injury before March 15th can be placed on an 'Inactive List' and a new player can be added via the rookie list. Also clubs who have a vacant rookie spot can participate in the mid season rookie draft.

Ideas? St Kilda Death majortinkle Phoenix_9 Left_Billings PetWussy Orasia Fantazio simonoz Jonzi TheSmokies

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/afl-brings-in-midseason-rookie-draft-for-2019-

It’s a tough one. Was thinking maybe we could have a draft which we could choose to either enter or not enter. Where to enter you will obviously have to delist the amount of players you want to select. And selections in usual reverse ladder order.

Otherwise you could just treat the new players as free agents and have the usual waiver settings that we have every round anyway?

Technically having the waiver wire is the same as an in season draft mechanism. It just means there will be players that are currently outside AFL lists that will become available after the real life mid-season draft.

I think the solution is for teams to get dibs on newly drafted players in reverse order of the ladder position at the date of the mid season draft. Then just like the waiver wire they would have to drop a player to recruit a player.

After that the waiver wire comes back into force.

Last edited:
Bye weeks.....I'm going to have my annual go at this.....

With the byes split evenly over 3 weeks it is even more beneficial to move to the Major's patent pending 1 fixture held over 3 weeks approach....

Last year we had two compromised rounds where 2 and 4 teams were on a bye. This year the same approach would lead to one heavily compromised round or we take other steps like not playing each other twice or reducing finals. Those approaches would mean 3 weeks where we'd have no interest in the league.

I think an approach of naming 1 22-man lineup to play across the 3 week bye period would be better.

We would have to allow unlimited emergencies for players who are dropped/injured/wk12 bye players not selected in weeks 13 and 14, but that seems easy enough via the forum.

The result would be that both you and your opponents 22 players would each play twice over the 3 weeks - a double score to count for 1 win/loss

To try and keep them tight we could force the fixture to be 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7v8 & 9v10 from this year for that game.

Weeks 1-11 and 15-20 would house the other 17 home and away fixtures and we'd have a 3 week finals period as normal.

Ultimate footy-wise we'd have blank fixtures in 13&14 and just manually adjust the wk12 fixture scores after week 14

Like this post to vote YES.....

Bye weeks.....I'm going to have my annual go at this.....

With the byes split evenly over 3 weeks it is even more beneficial to move to the Major's patent pending 1 fixture held over 3 weeks approach....

Last year we had two compromised rounds where 2 and 4 teams were on a bye. This year the same approach would lead to one heavily compromised round or we take other steps like not playing each other twice or reducing finals. Those approaches would mean 3 weeks where we'd have no interest in the league.

I think an approach of naming 1 22-man lineup to play across the 3 week bye period would be better.

We would have to allow unlimited emergencies for players who are dropped/injured/wk12 bye players not selected in weeks 13 and 14, but that seems easy enough via the forum.

The result would be that both you and your opponents 22 players would each play twice over the 3 weeks - a double score to count for 1 win/loss

To try and keep them tight we could force the fixture to be 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7v8 & 9v10 from this year for that game.

Weeks 1-11 and 15-20 would house the other 17 home and away fixtures and we'd have a 3 week finals period as normal.

Ultimate footy-wise we'd have blank fixtures in 13&14 and just manually adjust the wk12 fixture scores after week 14

Like this post to vote YES.....

It’s probably the only viable option. The only other one would be to just pick a random bye round to play with to keep the matchups even. But it’s more interesting to have something happening every weekend.

I don’t know if you necessarily have to have 1v2, 3v4 etc, just luck of the draw, play who you play would be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing one game over 3 weeks seems so unnatural to me. You’re not going to want to play the same players twice over 3 weeks, the bottom 3-6 of your team changes weekly.

We’ll have to have a vote at some stage, but I’d prefer to just have 2/3 of the bye rounds as byes for us, we only need 21 rounds. (18 + 3 finals).

With 6 teams out, that’s potentially a third of your best 22, so I’d be happy to just drop it to fielding a best 18 like normal supercoach/fantasy.

One of the biggest positives of having 2 weeks off, we can have a mid season trade period again. And we could look to conduct our own mid season draft during this time, ala AFL style.

Playing one game over 3 weeks seems so unnatural to me. You’re not going to want to play the same players twice over 3 weeks, the bottom 3-6 of your team changes weekly.

We’ll have to have a vote at some stage, but I’d prefer to just have 2/3 of the bye rounds as byes for us, we only need 21 rounds. (18 + 3 finals).

With 6 teams out, that’s potentially a third of your best 22, so I’d be happy to just drop it to fielding a best 18 like normal supercoach/fantasy.

One of the biggest positives of having 2 weeks off, we can have a mid season trade period again. And we could look to conduct our own mid season draft during this time, ala AFL style.
You obviously didnt cop the rough end of the stick in rd12 this year like I did.

Name a team with an 8 man bench.
Allows to drop lowest 4 scores by the end of the 3 rounds if you dont get injuries/players dropped.

Only name the team once so still allows for a trade period over the next 2 weeks, however players wont move until the bye rounds finish.

End of the day it's all unnatural. Its fantasy!

It really wouldn’t
44 player lists, one third on bye, is still approximately 29 possible players. Of course some will be injured and some are rookies, but 18 selected players for one bye round should not be dismissible.

We had 44 player lists (approximately 34 available with 4 teams on byes) and were all bar one team able to field competitive teams of 22 players.

2019: 18/29 you only have to field 62% of your players.

2018: 22/34 was 64.7% of our players.

So my suggestion is more favourable next year to field a competitive team.

Happy for anyone to make arguments against, and of course we will vote later and majority goes.

You obviously didnt cop the rough end of the stick in rd12 this year like I did.

Name a team with an 8 man bench.
Allows to drop lowest 4 scores by the end of the 3 rounds if you dont get injuries/players dropped.

Only name the team once so still allows for a trade period over the next 2 weeks, however players wont move until the bye rounds finish.

End of the day it's all unnatural. Its fantasy!
Also, 26 man squad would fix my issues with it, good suggestion.

44 player lists, one third on bye, is still approximately 29 possible players. Of course some will be injured and some are rookies, but 18 selected players for one bye round should not be dismissible.

We had 44 player lists (approximately 34 available with 4 teams on byes) and were all bar one team able to field competitive teams of 22 players.

2019: 18/29 you only have to field 62% of your players.

2018: 22/34 was 64.7% of our players.

So my suggestion is more favourable next year to field a competitive team.

Happy for anyone to make arguments against, and of course we will vote later and majority goes.
It just comes down to whether you want a round that is fair for everyone or one that’s based on whether your best players have a bye or not.

I’m with trying to make it as even as fair as possible is all

It just comes down to whether you want a round that is fair for everyone or one that’s based on whether your best players have a bye or not.

I’m with trying to make it as even as fair as possible is all
I’m coming around to the one game over 3 byes named on Bigfooty for the first bye round, with a named squad of 26. Highest scoring legitimate best 22 over the byes is the winner.

The biggest draw card is the complete equality of fixtures! You’ve convinced me :)

Alright fellas i want lists finalized by this weekend, lists have to be cut down to at least 41 to take minimum of 3 national draft picks. The Afl draft is next Thursday - Friday so it’ll give me a couple of weeks to finalise which players are eligible for our national and pre-season drafts respectively. And i’ll make a list that everyone can see and pick from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back