Remove this Banner Ad

Hood007

Premiership Player
May 10, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Nice article by Mike Sheahan for all those "supporters" who are worried going into September...

Highlights include:

Pardon me for not noticing, but where's the flaw in a 16-2 win-loss record and a percentage of 134.1?
This time last year, the Cats sat atop the ladder at 17-1 and 153.62, and were considered invincible.
Now, they are seen as a risk, with fundamental problems in attack, defence and the ruck.
Let's put to one side the Round 15 game against the Brisbane Lions and concentrate on the rest of the season - 16 wins and a six-point loss to St Kilda in Round 14 after Michael Gardiner's contender for mark of the year.
Perhaps it's simply the romance surrounding the unbeaten, success-starved Saints, yet Geelong is three from four against St Kilda in clashes since the start of 2007.

I like that last stat.
3 out of the last 4 against the Saints with that loss a one goal defeat.

On exposed form, Geelong will win at least three of its last four games, which would give it a win-loss record of 19-3 or better going into the finals. Only Essendon of 2000 (21-1) and Geelong of 2008 (21-1) have done better this decade.

Interesting isn't it.
We could have the 4th best season behind Bombers('00), Us ('08) and the Saints ('09) this decade and some people will still find something to whinge about...

IMO, some people need to stop coaching and start supporting!
Because if (note that I said if...) we win a flag, there'll be a heap of people with egg on their faces...

I agree alot of this negative talk around geelong is a load of rubbish.we are 16-2 and are currently focusing on september, weve won so many H&A games over the last few years that its become boring.

I honestly beleive we are a minimun 4 goal better side than st kilda

dont forget we could have 21 of our best 22 players at 100% come september :thumbsu:

IMO the doubts are valid to an extent. There is always room for improvement in any team, it's just they make it sound like we'll have trouble winning against *insert bottom 4 team* unless our defence, ruck and forward issues are resolved to perfection today. In addition, we haven't been the best team this season, and BAM we have lots of premature obituaries coming out of the media.

Personally, the more obituaries the better. It'll make it so much sweeter when we win on that last Saturday in September.

I think it is all coming from the media. Commentators seem to be finding any reason to write us off at present. I agree there are areas we need to improve if we have a chance at the flag. But it is hardly time to panic. Brisbane won 3 flags and never had what you would call outstanding seasons. They just knew how to turn it on for the finals. That is what I hope is going to happen for us this year. But 16-2 is a pretty good result for the year so far.

I've been saying since last year's Grand Final, it's not what you do in the season it is all about being prepared and cherry ripe for the big dance. If we happened to finish the season 15-7 or 18-4 or 21-1, there's not really much difference in an all-Victorian top 4. Geelong are 16-2, and i wonder if fans are aware that we have ever only been 16-2 or better just twice in our history!

1952 and last year are the only other times our side has been better placed at this stage of a home and away season.

Now, of course we are missing players, and as Sheahan's article shows, we've lost our very best players for three or more weeks, such as Ablett, S.Johnson, Ottens, Scarlett etc. And we are 16-2 despite that! The club has a huge will to win, and a steel that will be, most definately a massive thing to overcome, whoever we meet in finals. St.Kilda have had an outstanding season so far, and have taken all before them. But we outscored them by 4 goals from halfway in the opening quarter, at the Dome, without S.J as well. That is something to consider, we more than held our own on their own dunghill for 3 and 1/2 quarters.

And everyone who is being negative at our prospects, please look at history. There is a reason St.Kilda have won a singular flag, and have made just a few Grand Finals in their history. They will be in nosebleed territory come September, as no Saint side would ever have brought so much expectation on themselves in the finals. The Dogs, everyone seems to think they have our measure because we fell in earlier in the year, and won a somewhat unconvincing Preliminary final last year. But the Dogs have won a single preliminary final in their history (1961) and that is also the last time they have graced the 'G' on the last Saturday in September. Geelong has won SIX preliminary finals in 20 years, this current group has won two. Remember the anguish on the faces of the Dogs after 1997, when they had a convincing lead only to cough it up? The Pies might be a seasoned outfit with several players having finals, and Grand Final experience, but while we have won one of our last 7 Grand Finals, the Pies have won one of their last 11! And we each have one flag in our last 45 years too. In short, the finals experience, and SUCCESSFUL finals performances by our side will be a factor come September.

Geelong i reckon is simply trying out all options on the list, different strategies and different personnel for various situations. What have the Saints done? Oh, use Gardiner instead of King, or maybe McEvoy. They just roll out Saints plan 101 which has always been available to them because they have had so few injuries this year. It is a long season fellas, and our players are used to this now. Let's not be ye of little faith, i am confident that when the crunch comes, Geelong will have the answers.

Nice to see a little perspective, really. After two losses, one with about a third of our preferred team out, and it seems like people are sort of ignoring us. Our form isn't great, but we've won our last three and are still missing plenty of personnel, or have blokes who are regaining fitness.

I think the club is definitely going about it the right way this year.

The only thing that alarms me is that I have no way to tell whether these absences of late (SJ, Kelly, Scarlett, Harley, Taylor etc) are reflective of extreme player management, or whether we're being frowned upon by the footy gods.

I.e. will we suddenly have a full strength squad in round 21 and click into gear as the finals commence, or are we witnessing the inexorable demise of excellence that Essendon experienced in 2001, as the passing of time takes its toll?

I'm optimistic of the former scenario playing out, however I'm stresfully aware that we really have no way to tell what is happening right now, and that only hindsight will will shed any light on the matter.

After seeing Bomber and Mooney interviewed on TV in the past week, and hearing Chapman speak on radio after the Crows game, I am completely convinced that the club knows exactly what its doing with regards to managing players to September and trying to peak at the right time.

Whether or not it pays off is another matter, but I've got no doubt that the club's got a very structured plan in place to get everything clicking soon.

We're as good a chance as ever to win this year's flag.

I look at the saints season and I see a side with few headaches, sure the odd week missed through injury or suspension but overall they have had few injury concerns and their team are all settled into their roles and look very well balanced...far more than the cats.

Despite Geelongs injuries the club is doing an outstanding job at player management and is giving us the best possible chance of seeing the cup held aloft on GF day BUT we all need to be aware that these injuries may continue AND the cats will have to be their very best to win this year.

They have shown us how determined they can be...but will that be enough:confused:

GFC has had a poor year with injury. If it can get back the players and they are fit (including Ottens) then I believe GFC will do well in the finals. It comes down to whether we get more injuries and what injuries other sides get. Simple as that. Geelong are good enough to beat any side on their day with a relatively full list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back