Season 2018 comings and goings ...............

Remove this Banner Ad

The South Croydon Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Luke McCormick as senior club coach for season 2018 and beyond.

Noble Park looking pretty thin at the moment, lots of outs and not many new recruits.

Balwyn with a couple of good gets.

Might as well pick up the stand & move it to Quambee while they are at it.

I can assure you the stand will stay at Walker Park,lol.Best facilities in the EFL especially with the newly renovated ground surface,planned social rooms upgrade on the drawing board with positive talks with MFC/MCC/MSC and council etc in progress.Perhaps reason Walker Park is called the MCG of the East.Player wise will be a lot younger list I have been told and sad we have lost a couple of our 2015 premiership team but important we look ahead and bring in the young kids we have developed from the MJFC program over the last few years.

It is cricket season and MCC on top of the ladder,go tiges.

Talking footy junior wise I hate seeing all these clubs including Mitcham with pre season training before xmas.

Last edited:
I can assure you the stand will stay at Walker Park,lol.Best facilities in the EFL especially with the newly renovated ground surface,planned social rooms upgrade on the drawing board with positive talks with MFC/MCC/MSC and council etc in progress.Perhaps reason Walker Park is called the MCG of the East.Player wise will be a lot younger list I have been told and sad we have lost a couple of our 2015 premiership team but important we look ahead and bring in the young kids we have developed from the MJFC program over the last few years.

It is cricket season and MCC on top of the ladder,go tiges.

Talking footy junior wise I hate seeing all these clubs including Mitcham with pre season training before xmas.

Just wanted to quote this one old mate.
Your posts seem to disappear within 24 hours without a trace.

Just wanted to quote this one old mate.
Your posts seem to disappear within 24 hours without a trace.

I will promise you this one will perhaps stay,lol.As you are aware I tried to use the EFL forum to promote our club,loved the banter between most other posters and loved to throw up new ideas how we can make EFL footy senior and junior wise a better competition but a small minority let the forum down and reason the forum was closed.I think the good news now are people are starting to understand if you use social media right and I include the banter but also the opportunity to promote your club and the facilities at Walker Park which I perhaps annoy a few but I have no regrets in promoting our facilities which we are trying to make even better.The opportunity is there for" all clubs" to use this site,FB etc to promote their clubs

PS Not many people post on this thread either,lol I wonder why,I will let you work that one out.

Last edited:
Any risk of Balwyn developing their own players rather than cannibalising other clubs?

Haley’s original club in the VAFA were bullish about a return this year however it seems that is not to be. Will be his 4th different club in 5 years. Hard for a young bloke to shake that sort of reputation.

Been following dela for years which is haley home and original club he left there to move to cairns for holiday and came back a year later were north ringwood got him a job we could not match ... rumours from our camp is he was close to coming back home but is chasing finals footy that he has not yet experienced in 6 years of senior footy at balwyn you would say he will find it there and be a major factor in there season! 4 in 5 years sounds not great... but there is a reason for it all ... great young man who can certainly play the game! one of my favourites to watch live in suburban football.

Been following dela for years which is haley home and original club he left there to move to cairns for holiday and came back a year later were north ringwood got him a job we could not match ... rumours from our camp is he was close to coming back home but is chasing finals footy that he has not yet experienced in 6 years of senior footy at balwyn you would say he will find it there and be a major factor in there season! 4 in 5 years sounds not great... but there is a reason for it all ... great young man who can certainly play the game! one of my favourites to watch live in suburban football.

Charlie is a ripper bloke, an absolute cracker. I know Nth Ringwood are disappointed he left not just because they got him a good job but they wanted him to take more of a leadership role at the club. He was a great role model for the younger players. I don't swallow the finals stuff it was purely $$$ Balwyn offered him more than $1200 a game and North couldn't match it and hoped playing with his Brother and in a family club environment etc would be enough but it wasn't.

Charlie is a ripper bloke, an absolute cracker. I know Nth Ringwood are disappointed he left not just because they got him a good job but they wanted him to take more of a leadership role at the club. He was a great role model for the younger players. I don't swallow the finals stuff it was purely $$$ Balwyn offered him more than $1200 a game and North couldn't match it and hoped playing with his Brother and in a family club environment etc would be enough but it wasn't.

I'm sure he is a good young bloke but 4 clubs in 5 years does not fit the profile of a ‘great young man’. No matter how you slice it, it will be very hard for him to live that sort of disloyalty down. And if his motivation is to play finals footy he could have stayed at his original club. They played finals last year and will be odds on to do so again this year. Have no issue with him not going back to the ammos but really feel for Nth R’wood as they did plenty for this lad. Also hear that the way Balwyn went about it was very poor darts.

I hope he is worth it as he might be the same points value as someone straight out of the AFL. My understanding of the PPA is that a player accrues an 1 extra point if they transfer 3 times in 36 months plus another point if they play against their previous club in the same competition. You would hope the EFL is across all this.

Last edited:
Fixtures are out

No spreadsheet that I can see they have just fed the data into their clunky menu system

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balwyn have signed Adyan Kennedy from Box Hill and Henry Schade ex Coll now thats 11 points when you add D Gorringe ex Carlton 6 pts and Charlie Hayley who should be 5 pts thats 22 points in 4 players! What 18 players left for 25 points they are really taking the pi$$ now. Retirements in Crowe and Mihuisen won't free up points.

A bloody disgrace the salary cap EFL and points system currently in D1 football,Balwyn. Salary cap to high and they have the money to use it but will be interesting to see if they can field competitive 2's and even a U19 side next season.EFL please look at reducing salary cap D1,not many clubs out there can pay the max for D1 other then Balwyn.

Last edited:
A bloody disgrace the salary cap EFL and points system currently in D1 football,Balwyn. Salary cap to high and they have the money to use it but will be interesting to see if they can field competitive 2's and even a U19 side next season.EFL please look at reducing salary cap D1,not many clubs out there can pay the max for D1 other then Balwyn.
I can't believe this, a post from GMac without a mention of how good Mitcham's ground is!!

I'd imagine they'd be quite a few clubs paying up to the max. The issue is that clubs would be paying players outside of the salary cap and therefore making it redundant. It's only an average of $570 per player each game and clubs like Balwyn would have quite a number of players on $1,000+ and I'd be certain that there wouldn't be any on $150-200 a game like a fair portion of div 1 clubs.

I think the EFL has confirmed in 2019 45 points and 200k for Div 1 or new Premier Div

I would think there is likely to be 6 clubs if not paying the maximum would all be very close. I am not sure what you are basing these thoughts on.

We just had an amazing season where a club that I have not included in the 6 winning the flag. The points are not a disgrace, all clubs can go to the maximum if they wish and this has become an equalising influence within the competition. This may not be obvious to those not involved but I can assure you that recruiting has very much become a case of careful list management, especially in 1st Division.

I have not heard that. The NFL Chairman has been spouting those figures but as far as I know nothing along these lines are coming from the EFL at this point.

Northern FL signalled intention to slash D1 salary cap to $200,000 by 2020,2018 will remain at $225,00,D2 $150,00 D3 $100,000.It is hoped that the EDFL and EFL will follow the same path which supports what I have said about the salary cap in the EFL.My Balwyn spies have also said every thing under control salary cap and points wise and will have very competitive 2's and U19's next season

Last edited:
Northern FL signalled intention to slash D1 salary cap to $200,000 by 2020,2018 will remain at $225,00,D2 $150,00 D3 $100,000.It is hoped that the EDFL and EFL will follow the same path which supports what I have said about the salary cap in the EFL.

Not sure that the NFL chief is a valid source of vindication as to where the EFL salary cap should be at. While ideally they should be consistent, individual leagues are in the best position to judge their own limits. EDFL have certainly gone their own way with Salary Cap & Points.

When we go to 10 teams in 'Premier' in 2019 of which the 6 that I believe are either paying the salary cap or are close to it are part of that I am not sure that there will be a change. If you have a majority at an even level what purpose would a reduction serve? The league have the figures and if the majority of teams can maintain this level without slipping into danger, then I don't see an issue.

The loudest noise tends to come from clubs not within the Division?

As per this article attached it states that the Premier Division could remain at $225k for 2019. There has been no EFL noise that his will be reduced into the future at this point.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...9/news-story/f16ba57e6f1f768807371d914a8766e0

The Premier division salary cap could stay at the current figure of $225,000 and the bottom tier salary cap could remain at $75,000, with the other competitions to be “spread pretty evenly in between those two figures”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back