SEASON 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potentially we could have the scenario in 2021 where Berwick's footballers play Vermont at home in an EFNL match while a matter of metres away the netballers host an AFLOE clash on the netball court ... or the girls could be playing away ... if the netballers don't want to be a part of the EFNL. That scenario also depends upon if there is a bye in any AFLOE grade that Berwick netball could fill.

Last edited:
Know a few people at Berwick Netball. They are furious and keen for OE to fight on their behalf. Been completely disregarded.

Not sure how you have netball only though of the footy leaves.

Potentially we could have the scenario in 2021 where Berwick's footballers play Vermont at home in an EFNL match while a matter of metres away the netballers host an AFLOE clash on the netball court ... or the girls could be playing away ... if the netballers don't want to be a part of the EFNL. That scenario also depends upon if there is a bye in any AFLOE grade that Berwick netball could fill.

If Berwick FC don’t want them, why doesn’t the Berwick netballer club go align with Berwick Springs if they want to play Saturdays and stay playing in Berwick?
Or is there other reasons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reality is that the failure of the MPNFL to take all clubs in the first place was an absolute disgrace. That would have been one hell of a comp.

The MPNFL isn’t the place for them and I don’t blame the Peninsula clubs for rejecting them. I’m sure there’s exceptions but on the whole, the Peninsula clubs want a Peninsula comp, and that’s what they should have. There’s enough clubs there for it and it would work very well. Even the combination of Peninsula and Nepean to two divisions was stupid. It had be be bulldozed through because it wasn’t wanted.

The MPNFL should be the Mornington Peninsula FL and that’s what it should include - the Mornington Peninsula. Clubs on the actual Peninsula, south of Frankston. That’s it. I guess the Frankston clubs could choose to be in it because they’re close but north of Frankston? They’re suburban clubs and should be in the SFL. Who knows why a club like Chelsea is in a “country” league.

And then you’d have the south eastern clubs like Berwick in there too. Not in the EFL, where they’re miles from.

The MPNFL isn’t the place for them and I don’t blame the Peninsula clubs for rejecting them. I’m sure there’s exceptions but on the whole, the Peninsula clubs want a Peninsula comp, and that’s what they should have. There’s enough clubs there for it and it would work very well. Even the combination of Peninsula and Nepean to two divisions was stupid. It had be be bulldozed through because it wasn’t wanted.

The MPNFL should be the Mornington Peninsula FL and that’s what it should include - the Mornington Peninsula. Clubs on the actual Peninsula, south of Frankston. That’s it. I guess the Frankston clubs could choose to be in it because they’re close but north of Frankston? They’re suburban clubs and should be in the SFL. Who knows why a club like Chelsea is in a “country” league.

And then you’d have the south eastern clubs like Berwick in there too. Not in the EFL, where they’re miles from.
Cranbourne didn’t get let in cause Sorrento carried on but they were more than happy driving to Devon meadows for an easy four points

Cranbourne didn’t get let in cause Sorrento carried on but they were more than happy driving to Devon meadows for an easy four points

Yep, that’s a fair call - it would appear the MPNFL aren’t interested in stronger clubs.

Tbf though, I reckon that’s probably the case across the board... not many leagues will vote in any club that they think will prove too strong for them.

I think on balance the views of Peninsula clubs have been made pretty clear. They should have their own league and the only reason they don’t is that like many local footy leagues, those who run it want their own league to be the biggest and best and conquer those around it. That’s fine, but there should be a proper plan from higher up.

"not many leagues will vote in any club that they think will prove too strong for them."

Arent we lucky that we are a part of a league that does... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It’s pretty standard of the admin and management of most footy leagues. It’s all about building their own empire. It’s why we have this mess we do in the east and south east - everybody trying to build their own castle.

YVMDFL expanding into the south east (and north east too)

SFL expanding into the outer south east and onto the peninsula

MPNFL expanding into the suburbs

EFL expanding everywhere

Better defining what is country and what is metropolitan and not combining the two would have been a good framework to start with.

The clubs and towns that are in the grey areas are effected the most.

The YVMDFL was effectively made redundant and replaced with AFLOE and is now a good example of a league without an identity.

Could you really imagine AFL Victoria moving away from their traditional decision-making policy of throwing darts at a dartboard while blindfolded?

They need to buy an A2 sized map of Victoria, a ruler and some red textas and map out some definitive league boundaries, especially for the metropolitan comps (except the VAFA) and also the country leagues on the urban fringe.

The SFL/MPNFL/EFNL/AFLOE area in particular is a mess that desperately needs to be fixed within the next 18 months.

The WRFL/EDFL/Riddell/NFL area is starting to become a mess as well, with the boundaries getting very blurry.

I remember that the VCFL used to do periodical boundary re-assessments for their regions, although rarely did they need to change them unless leagues merged or folded. Now that grassroots football is under one body (AFLV) and not two (VCFL/VMFL), surely this would be an easier and more consistent task to perform.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could you really imagine AFL Victoria moving away from their traditional decision-making policy of throwing darts at a dartboard while blindfolded?

They need to buy an A2 sized map of Victoria, a ruler and some red textas and map out some definitive league boundaries, especially for the metropolitan comps (except the VAFA) and also the country leagues on the urban fringe.

The SFL/MPNFL/EFNL/AFLOE area in particular is a mess that desperately needs to be fixed within the next 18 months.

The WRFL/EDFL/Riddell/NFL area is starting to become a mess as well, with the boundaries getting very blurry.

I remember that the VCFL used to do periodical boundary re-assessments for their regions, although rarely did they need to change them unless leagues merged or folded. Now that grassroots football is under one body (AFLV) and not two (VCFL/VMFL), surely this would be an easier and more consistent task to perform.

in 50 years time I can imagine a lot of what we currently consider country towns being not so country anymore.

60 years ago Box Hill was on the urban fringe and there were orchards between there and Ringwood.

That is where the disparity of the South East suburbs and the Yarra Valley will continue to widen. The Yarra Valley is protected by planning regulations as part of the green wedges and will never be developed while these protections remain in place - which they hopefully will be.

The populations there will remain similar while the south-east corridor booms. In 2017-18 Cranbourne East grew by 7,200, the fastest population growth of any region in Australia (Australian Bureau Of Statistics - see below). When just looking at Victoria, Beaconsfield-Officer is also in the Top 10 with population growth of 2100 in just one year. That is similar to the entire populations of valley towns in just a single year. Those areas will continue to boom until they match the 40-50K populations of Narre, Berwick, Pakenham and Cranbourne.

In that regard it doesn't make much sense to merge two distinctively different regions in football competitions. One is suburban and the other is country.

I can't see any valley club threatening to win a flag in Premier while competing against growth suburbs. It might improve after Berwick leave and if Narre becomes more diluted with Narre South and North forming senior teams.

The divisional structure will allow middle of the road clubs such as Mt Evelyn and Monbulk a chance at a flag....followed by probable floggings the next year in Premier but it would be nice for them to get a chance of a flag every now and again. Emerald, Belgrave, Olinda and Gembrook often did this moving between divisions.

If AFLOE and AFL Victoria do ratify the Berwick move then there will likely be another two clubs from Div 1 heading to Premier at the end of next year, assuming the wooden spooner wants to move down. I would be spewing if I was at the runner-up club in Div 1 next year and forced into Premier without a flag as compensation.

1576704859543.png

i think the Efl have proven that they would be quite happy to take say an Upwey and a Wandin though and slot them into lower divisions. This is a more likely scenario in my opinion.

The only Sth East team remaining that the EFL would be a destination for is Narre Warren and they have seemed the most content in the current situation.

40mins travelling on 90% Freeways. They would have to be kidding themselves.

Just like it is quick to go as 90% of the MPFNL to get to Pakenham than it is from Pakenham to Warburton.

Got no faith in the AFL Victoria(After the Ardmona decision) that will do a Redistribution of the Club in the Metro and Fringe area because the reach will affect every single league in the comp.

I can see a Outer South East league but AFL Vic has got no Back bone.

Beaconsfield may be the other looking at other options but my mail is all other clubs are quite happy with the situation. Both
Doveton and Pakenham would have been more than happy to stay in division 1 in 2020 as they really enjoyed the competitive footy and netball and the strong relationships between all the clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back