Fixture Season Length? Game Length? Byes? Injuries? A new thought?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's only news because it's effecting Collingwood and Richmond.

This is also the AFL, AFLPA and media trying to introduce shrinkflation into sport. I'm sure that membership, ticket price etc. will not go down in line with reductions in gametime or reduced rounds.

Pisses me off to be honest.

I also think that given the significant change in list management recently and concussion management in particular it is quite unfair to compare injury lists without taking those changes into consideration. 2 of our injuries are players we knew were out for this season last year and probably would be delisted if it wasn't for the inactive list - I'm sure other clubs are the same.

The problem with playing everyone once (rotated H&A annually) is there are still 10 teams in Victoria, so in an 18 round season (with rivalry round so we play the eagles twice) we are still flying to Melbourne 5 times, SA,QLD and NSW once each year so 8 interstate trips, while the vic clubs would only have 4, WA, SA, NSW and QLD once each per year and the other 14 in Vic.
Even if you double it play every team twice, that’s 8 trips for Vic teams and 16 trips for all the other teams.

Going the wrong way.

More games. Everyone played twice.

Games played Thurs-Mon. (less about rounds, more about matches, they did this in AFLW perfectly fine)

Increase list sizes, increase the bench and rotations so players are fresher and can rest in game for the following match.
5x Bench, 2x Subs.

A few more "gather round" style hubs where you can 2-3 games in at one place over 15-18 days to reduce travel.

:D
No one watches Monday football, even when Carlton played, and even less attended it.

I think GWS should be the mid-week team if anyone; they're clearly not making inroads in terms of supporters (I went out there once and it's a ****ing hike – it's like if there was a team in Ellenbrook).

No one watches Monday football, even when Carlton played, and even less attended it.

I think GWS should be the mid-week team if anyone; they're clearly not making inroads in terms of supporters (I went out there once and it's a ******* hike – it's like if there was a team in Ellenbrook).
Yeah, Monday night would be predominantly for tv audiences, use it to get the game back out the suburbs.

Every team gets 2 a year, turn it into a supporting the community thing.

I want more games. Don't you find the off season is way too long?
Agree, and the best way to more games is shorter games. Get the quarters down from an average of 30 minutes to 25 would have a huge impact on player strain and recovery. You could do that by cutting quarters from 20 to 17 minutes, keep clock running for the first 10 minutes of the quarter etc.

After a year of adjustment all the whining fans would have stopped noticing, but guaranteed they’d appreciate a fairer season that has say 3 more games and therefore more double up games.

I also think we need to figure out a top 10 fixture for finals - too many teams miss out and their season ends too early.

This is also the AFL, AFLPA and media trying to introduce shrinkflation into sport. I'm sure that membership, ticket price etc. will not go down in line with reductions in gametime or reduced rounds.

I also think that given the significant change in list management recently and concussion management in particular it is quite unfair to compare injury lists without taking those changes into consideration. 2 of our injuries are players we knew were out for this season last year and probably would be delisted if it wasn't for the inactive list - I'm sure other clubs are the same.
How does it effect Collingwood?

People have gotten back on flights and realised how shit it is, it's extremely hard work.

Travelling isn't appealing. how Dave Mundy did it for 20 years is mental. he's a genuine 500 game player.

Agree, and the best way to more games is shorter games. Get the quarters down from an average of 30 minutes to 25 would have a huge impact on player strain and recovery. You could do that by cutting quarters from 20 to 17 minutes, keep clock running for the first 10 minutes of the quarter etc.

After a year of adjustment all the whining fans would have stopped noticing, but guaranteed they’d appreciate a fairer season that has say 3 more games and therefore more double up games.

I also think we need to figure out a top 10 fixture for finals - too many teams miss out and their season ends too early.
Shorter games result in blow outs I reckon.

23-25 game season is okay but teams need to manage their 22 better.

People have gotten back on flights and realised how s**t it is, it's extremely hard work.

Travelling isn't appealing. how Dave Mundy did it for 20 years is mental. he's a genuine 500 game player.
McRae was literally in the news complaining about 2 x 6 day breaks in a row, injuries and wanting shorter games...

People have gotten back on flights and realised how s**t it is, it's extremely hard work.

mcrae was pointing to length of games etc resulting in more injuries, therefore we should make them shorter etc

the shorter games in 2020 sucked as well

The games in 2020 were no less of a product? Bullshit. They felt like lightning games, there was no ebbs and flows during quarters, once a side got out to a 4 or 5 goal lead it was game over. There was also a lot less fatigue so scoring was down big time. It's the reduced quarters that made 2020 such a mickey mouse year, not the lack of crowds
Yeah 2020 was fake footy. Realise why they did it given the circumstances but it was closer to basketball in tempo than footy

The AFL could copy the US wildcat round idea (which I'm sure the head honchos would love to do) for 7th-10th. I would normally say this is a stupid concept, but last year after Round 17 GWS and Carlton were 9th and 10th, so you could argue it might

What a great concept. This could give potentially 100’s of 1000’s of fans hope, imagine a team crueled by injuries early in the season but gets it all together at the pointy end but as a result it’s curtains.

The idea that there is a long shot wild card chance to still make it if you can earn it would be well received by everyone.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a great concept. This could give potentially 100’s of 1000’s of fans hope, imagine a team crueled by injuries early in the season but gets it all together at the pointy end but as a result it’s curtains.

The idea that there is a long shot wild card chance to still make it if you can earn it would be well received by everyone.
I think it’s almost inevitable that once we hit 19 teams (20 not long after) that the finals series will need a shake up, you can’t have 10 teams out of the running 2/3 if the way through the season as viewers will just turn off. Whether it’s increasing the number who make finals, or a wildcard of 7-10 or even 5-12 battling for the bottom spots in the eight will be up to the administrators.

I think it’s almost inevitable that once we hit 19 teams (20 not long after) that the finals series will need a shake up, you can’t have 10 teams out of the running 2/3 if the way through the season as viewers will just turn off. Whether it’s increasing the number who make finals, or a wildcard of 7-10 or even 5-12 battling for the bottom spots in the eight will be up to the administrators.

I’d go one further and have a lottery for say teams 13th 18th. One team gets pulled from the hat and they get a shot. What’s there to lose? You could argue they don’t deserve a shot, but it should be as much about you and I, us fans and the battler teams and underdogs that we all love.

Imagine the story and media hype should they knock a few off, it would just add to the excitement of the finals series for absolutely no harm done.

Extend the season to one home and away each
Add more to the list to enable more rotations betweeen games
Add a larger bench to allow more rotations during the match.
Remove the sub and add them to the bench.

Extend the season to one home and away each
Add more to the list to enable more rotations betweeen games
Add a larger bench to allow more rotations during the match.
Remove the sub and add them to the bench.
I think it was fairer when we played each other twice and there was more of a pattern to it

I think it was fairer when we played each other twice and there was more of a pattern to it
that was a long time ago in VFL history ! poor old fremantle joined too late to get 2 games per season agaisnt the oppositons

Unles we go back to 12 teams , unlikely we will ever get a 2 game verus other teams season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back