Teams Seattle Seahawks - The 12th Man

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck Jermaine finding a new home - a team like Jacksonville would give him the money he thinks he deserves...........but that is it. He will get a real shock at his actual value.

I get a feeling he will be back too. He will get better money at a non contending team but not what he thinks he will get.

Pete Carroll describes the moment Bud Grant changed the way he looks at players

Posted by: Chris Vannini on Sunday March 06, 2016

Pete%20Carroll%203-6.png

If you watched the NFL Combine on TV, you only saw players running the drills, but Pete Carroll was watching them get back on line, looking at their demeanor.

While speaking to SiriusXM NFL Radio, Carroll explained how an experience with Hall of Fame coach Bud Grant changed how he looks at players, because every little thing matters.

“The first day I was ever on the practice field with Bud Grant with the Minnesota Vikings (in 1985), it’s the first day of camp,” Carroll said. “At the end of practice, he took each position group and told them to take a lap around the field. It was a big field, three football fields, a big lap. All the guys are running. I’m standing there talking to one of the coaches, and Grant goes, ‘Pete, what are you doing?’ I said I’m just talking to the guys here. He says, ‘You’re not watching your players. You’re not seeing who’s in front, who’s in the back. Is your position group competing hard, or are they just jogging? Who’s screwing around? You’re not paying attention to the information they’re giving you.

“I’ve never been the same since. He embarrassed the heck out of me, called me out. He got me. The point was there’s so much information out there. How well can you observe? How deeply can you look into it and draw the stuff out of it? The better observers we can be, the better listeners we can be, the more we can take out of it.”

Carroll and the Seahawks are one of the best organizations at evaluating talent, and they’ve taken players with questionable off-field histories, but gotten them on the right path. Carroll points to Grant.

“We watch everything, and I always tell our guys, it’s because of what Bud taught me a long time ago,” Carroll said. “Everything counts. Everything shows us something. How they dress or don’t dress, who they hang with, if they’re respectful, if they brush somebody off or throw their trash on the ground. If you look, there’s a lot of stuff going on.

“There’s something in all of it, and it’s not always what they think they’re telling you.”

3 RBs is weird. Prosise's draft comparison is FJax which is very interesting.

Huge wraps on Lawler for someone who went in the 7th. JS said that 'if Lawler ran a 4.5 he'd be going in the 4th round'. They're still after that big red zone receiver, and a guy who put up a UCLA-record 27 TDs in the Bear Raid with Goff is pretty worthy of it you'd think...

Huge to get Reed to replace Mebane, huge to invest actual draft capital into OL talent (finally!). My big concern is still at LT though.

???--Glowinski--Lewis--Ifedi--Gilliam is how it projects right now. Really need someone on Russ's blind side though.

DB not too worried. Lane projects as CB2 with Simon, Smith, Burley, Browner, McCray (remember how good he was filling in for Kam) and Shead on the roster. Linebacker we're set with KJ and BWags. The LEO is right up in the air now...if Marsh can seize it or we rotate one of Clark/Bennett/Avril into it? Hmm.

Apart from that DL is set too. Avril--Reed--Rubin--Bennett

Wideout is pretty interesting at the bottom end. Lockett and Baldwin are locks. Kearse is a probable lock. Ricardo Lockette may not return to football, but is huge on ST which gives him a wrinkle. Then you've got Paul Richardson (remember him?), Lawler, Kevin Smith, plus UDFAs. Think Lockette won't return, Richardson goes to PUP, and both Lawler and Smith make the roster.

TE also interesting. All the reports coming out on Graham are good but it's still very early. Willson obv. makes the roster. JS is huge on Varrett as a run-block TE, which really is something we haven't had for a while. Probably necessary too, given the struggles we've had on the line.

RB, well Rawls is presumptive RB1. Huge fight on now, even for RB2. The wraps on Prosise come as a flex weapon from JS - they have something very special in mind for him apparently. Started in college as a safety, then went to WR, then to RB where he excelled...I think they're looking for flex-weapons to add extra wrinkles to the scramble game. A running back like that would be huge for Wilson as a dump-target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DB on paper looks okay but we have very little quality depth at Safety and our Corner Backs have tended to be a bit injury prone of late. If Sherm and/or one of Kam and Earl went down I'd be seriously worried.
You can say that for any team though. It's tough to pay quality depth when you have $40mil+ invested in your starters. And I don't think you're giving our depth too much credit. Lane is quality. Burley has played well, as has McCray. Seisay I haven't seen. Shead is quality and is able to play both safety and corner.
Personally, I am still really worried about OL depth and would have much preferred one of the 3 RBs (Brooks) to have been a guard.

Dougie Fresh with the 4 year extension!

All of the big guns are signed through 2018 now. Now if we could only find an Oline....

Seahawks signed GM John Schneider to a five-year extension through 2021.

ESPN's John Clayton reports the deal will place Schneider "among the highest-paid GMs in the NFL," and is expected to pay him around $3.75 million per year. Ozzie Newsome is currently the league's highest-paid GM. Schneider and Pete Carroll were both entering contract years in 2016; a Carroll extension is believed to be forthcoming. In April, Rotoworld's Patrick Daugherty ranked Schneider No. 3 among NFL GMs, behind only Bill Belichick and John Elway. Schneider has been able to mask mistakes (Matt Flynn, Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham) with elite college-to-pro talent evaluation, plucking Russell Wilson and Tyler Lockett in the third round, Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor in the fifth, and Thomas Rawls in undrafted free agency, among many others. There isn't an NFC team with a brighter-looking present and future than Schneider's Seahawks.

Source: ESPN.com

Seahawks agreed to terms with coach Pete Carroll on an extension through 2019.

The deal pairs Carroll with GM John Schneider for the next four seasons. Carroll is the league's oldest coach — really — but arguably its second best behind Bill Belichick. Carroll has staked his claim to being one of the greatest football minds of all time in Seattle, building on the amazing success he had at USC. The Seahawks have made the playoffs 5-of-6 years on Carroll's watch, advancing to two Super Bowls. Going on 65, it's possible this is Carroll's final contract.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Well after two games...

- It appears there is an O-line in the building.
- First team offence otherwise not yet firing, getting the feeling they're holding back a lot.
- Boykin impressive but raw for QB2.
- There really haven't been many surprises this year. Probably biggest is how good Britt has looked at center.

I can't see many UDFAs from the clouds this year. First team just too good and where we could use a UDFA (CB2, tackle) there really isn't the talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back