Selecting Fischer McAsey before Sam De Koning in the 2019 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

These misses are more immediate than DeKoning, as they were taken within 3 picks, and would have made a considerable difference to the Crows current list.

McAsey instead of Serong.
Jones instead of Butters.
McHenry instead of Duursma.

Hate these arguments, remember the old tambling over buddy? Every club in the country wanted him over buddy, all of a sudden it's the worst thing every club did. You never know how they're going to turn out. Dane sawn went mid 50s hird the same, all those clubs who didn't select them, were they set back too? At the time I'm sure many clubs would've picked him over SDK.

Hawthorn have drafted a crazy amount of Hawks supporters in recent years, which makes selecting Jack Saunders in the 2020 rookie draft over Hawk nuffie Jack Ginnivan all the more frustrating.

You can find these 'woulda, shoulda, coulda' stories in every draft though. Adelaide couldn't have envisioned the circumstances surrounding Fischer's failure. They drafted on exposed talent at the time. It happens. It sucks for them. They move on.

De Koning has played 24 games, 23 of which in a team where they were clearly the best team in the league, whilst playing in a very sheltered position. When you have guys like Stewart, Tuohy, Blicavs running the show in a backline, its always easier for the young guys.

This wont continue his whole career.

Hes a solid player but was absolutely never going to be in the top 10 of that draft. Mcasey always was.

Yet another one of these bignoting Geelong threads - you really are just a troll. If you're going to make this comparison, you should also remember that Wells basically confirmed we were very interested in McAsey, and rumours were that we might try and trade up both our firsts for him - such was our interest.

Adelaide can't control that COVID hit, no more than they can control his homesickness because of his ill family member, and then his lack of desire to compete at the top level when all the aforementioned has transpired. He may even come back to the AFL in the future, and as I've mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a look at him, given our success with Stengle and relative lack of KPD depth.

Idiotic thread, and definitely not reflective of how either our supporters or the majority of oppo supporters see things. Just making yourself look worse.

Seriously, stick to the Bay. This trash and other troll threads you post like it, do not belong on the main board. They should be on our board, as no-one else cares. As should these two threads as well:

View attachment 1587008
Kudos :thumbsu:

Tambling over Buddy has been mentioned a few times in this thread, and fair enough I guess. What is often forgotten is that Tambling was rated by everyone very highly. I dare say that if Richmond has picked Buddy at #4 then Tambling would probably have been taken at #5 or #6.

Not sure why people bring up "draft blunders" so much. Pretty much every team in hindsight has incorrectly picked Player A over Player B. Looking back at Cal Twomey's Phantom Draft for 2019 - he had McAsey at #6 and SDK #17 (fairly consistent with two other Phantom drafts I checked). If the Crows took a risk in the draft with a high pick and it didn't work out it should be open to criticism, but they clearly picked a player who was universally believed to be better at the time. Props should go for the Cats for getting SDK where they did, rather than criticising the Crows for missing out on him

So many times draft 'blunders' are just a result of bad luck in being the team on the clock at that time.

Pretty much no club including geelong would have picked De Koning over McAsey at draft time so cant really call that a mistake on adelaides part. McAsey was the standout kpd in his draft.

McAsey ahead of Young, Serong, Stephens (not that he has done much yet) who were all in that pick range would be a more apprpriate convo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back