Selecting Fischer McAsey before Sam De Koning in the 2019 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Selfield

Debutant
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Will this blunder set the Crows back in their rebuild? The last time I can remember a club doing well after such a huge blunder is Hawthorn who did alright after selecting Mitch Thorp before Joel Selwood in 2006, but that was a rare exception plus the draft system was far different back then to what it is today.

In this day and age the talent pool is spread much thinner and the draft order is compromised by free agency compensation and the academies, not to mention the bidding system that's in place for academy and father son selections.

High draft picks are like gold and clubs really need to nail them, and I can't help but feel this'll really set the Crows back. Adelaide have already been out of the finals for five years and while it doesn't seem like a long time, five years is a long time in footy with Carlton, Gold Coast and North Melbourne being the only sides who have been out of the finals for longer than Adelaide.

How far back do you think this draft blunder will set Adelaide? In my opinion their list still needs a lot of work as it is especially the midfield, which has been a weakness since the departure of Patrick Dangerfield who was their best player.

Not sure why people bring up "draft blunders" so much. Pretty much every team in hindsight has incorrectly picked Player A over Player B. Looking back at Cal Twomey's Phantom Draft for 2019 - he had McAsey at #6 and SDK #17 (fairly consistent with two other Phantom drafts I checked). If the Crows took a risk in the draft with a high pick and it didn't work out it should be open to criticism, but they clearly picked a player who was universally believed to be better at the time. Props should go for the Cats for getting SDK where they did, rather than criticising the Crows for missing out on him

How many Tambling over Franklin threads have been made over the years? Heaps.

De Koning had a great year, but he's not Franklin yet.

This isn't the same as Melbourne passing on Dusty or St.Kilda passing on Petracca when they were the obvious choices.
St.Kilda taking Billings over Bont is another that springs to mind.
De Koning was far more speculative than those players and picked considerably later than McAsey.

I just don't understand why this needs its own thread?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our drafting from 2016-19 in general was a complete disaster. Fogarty is finally starting to come along, but aside from him?

2016: Jordan Gallucci

Delisted, along with every other pick in this draft except for Elliott Himmelberg.

2017: Darcy Fogarty

Got this one right at least. Our other pick was McPherson who will be delisted at the end of this season.

2018: Chayce Jones, Ned McHenry

The best case scenario for Jones now is to become a serviceable HB which, given the talent in this draft, is still a fail. We also picked up Will Hamill, Josh Worrell and Lachlan Sholl in this draft with Worrell the only one likely to make it (Hamill, unfortunately, I think will retire soon with the amount of concussions he's had. He's about one away from it I'd say)

2019: Fischer McAsey

Enough said. Other picks in this draft were Harry Schoenberg, Ronin O'Connor and Lachlan Gollant. Schoenberg MIGHT turn out ok, but he regressed last season.

In the end, when you only nail 1/5 first round picks in four years, and don't get a lot of value from the later picks, then it's going to significantly set back your rebuild.

Yet another one of these bignoting Geelong threads - you really are just a troll. If you're going to make this comparison, you should also remember that Wells basically confirmed we were very interested in McAsey, and rumours were that we might try and trade up both our firsts for him - such was our interest.

Adelaide can't control that COVID hit, no more than they can control his homesickness because of his ill family member, and then his lack of desire to compete at the top level when all the aforementioned has transpired. He may even come back to the AFL in the future, and as I've mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a look at him, given our success with Stengle and relative lack of KPD depth.

Idiotic thread, and definitely not reflective of how either our supporters or the majority of oppo supporters see things. Just making yourself look worse.

Seriously, stick to the Bay. This trash and other troll threads you post like it, do not belong on the main board. They should be on our board, as no-one else cares. As should these two threads as well:

1673756802722.png

Last edited:
How many Tambling over Franklin threads have been made over the years? Heaps.
Let me help you with this

Tambling #4 the pick before pick #5 Buddy - Whilst we Richmond supporters hate even being reminded about that its completely valid
similar to Scully / Trengove over Martin

Fischer McAsey was pick #6 and SDK was pick #19 and even Geelong preferred a Hawthorn player over him with their 1st pick

Now maybe you can start a thread Cooper Stephens before Chad Warner to keep things interesting

Our drafting from 2016-19 in general was a complete disaster. Fogarty is finally starting to come along, but aside from him?

2016: Jordan Gallucci

Delisted, along with every other pick in this draft except for Elliott Himmelberg.

2017: Darcy Fogarty

Got this one right at least. Our other pick was McPherson who will be delisted at the end of this season.

2018: Chayce Jones, Ned McHenry

The best case scenario for Jones now is to become a serviceable HB which, given the talent in this draft, is still a fail. We also picked up Will Hamill, Josh Worrell and Lachlan Sholl in this draft with Worrell the only one likely to make it (Hamill, unfortunately, I think will retire soon with the amount of concussions he's had. He's about one away from it I'd say)

2019: Fischer McAsey

Enough said. Other picks in this draft were Harry Schoenberg, Ronin O'Connor and Lachlan Gollant. Schoenberg MIGHT turn out ok, but he regressed last season.

In the end, when you only nail 1/5 first round picks in four years, and don't get a lot of value from the later picks, then it's going to significantly set back your rebuild.

As bad as it's been, D. Fogarty finally coming good, Thilthorpe having massive upside, snaring Rankine from that same 2018 'fail' draft with 50+ games of experience and for 2 picks later, and then also Rachele who looks a star, and hopefully Pedlar who is showing good signs this PS - it's definitely not all doom and gloom. Sam Berry looks a ripper, and Soligo showed upside as well. Got Dawson in, and Schoenberg and Worrell could make it too.

Some missteps, but not a complete fail either, IMO. 2018 is definitely frustrating though given just how much of a 'superdraft' it's turning out to be.

Last edited:
Yet another one of these bignoting Geelong threads - you really are just a troll. If you're going to make this comparison, you should also remember that Wells basically confirmed we were very interested in McAsey, and rumours were that we might try and trade up both our firsts for him - such was our interest.

Adelaide can't control that COVID hit, no more than they can control his homesickness because of his ill family member, and then his lack of desire to compete at the top level when all the aforementioned has transpired. He may even come back to the AFL in the future, and as I've mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a look at him, given our success with Stengle and relative lack of KPD depth.

Idiotic thread, and definitely not reflective of how either our supporters or the majority of oppo supporters see things. Just making yourself look worse.

Seriously, stick to the Bay. This trash and other troll threads you post like it, do not belong on the main board. They should be on our board, as no-one else cares. As should these two threads as well:

View attachment 1587008

Might be a young fella I reckon.

Not a single downside to it. All upside. An elite league, not a development nursery.

Some of the best players we've drafted in recent memory, have been over 20 - Stewart, TK, Close, T. Atkins, Blicavs etc.

Then again, guys like Holmes, Z. Guthrie, SDK, Miers, J. Henry, are all projecting well, so there's not much rhyme and reason to it, IMO.

I'd be fine with 19 even. Let them have a year off school to completely focus on footy and have time to enjoy themselves a bit, and then gear themselves up for a career - which could be anywhere in the country. Handling exams and then getting drafted and moving states is a lot to ask of anyone - let alone a bunch of kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back