Selecting Fischer McAsey before Sam De Koning in the 2019 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Will this blunder set the Crows back in their rebuild? The last time I can remember a club doing well after such a huge blunder is Hawthorn who did alright after selecting Mitch Thorp before Joel Selwood in 2006, but that was a rare exception plus the draft system was far different back then to what it is today.

In this day and age the talent pool is spread much thinner and the draft order is compromised by free agency compensation and the academies, not to mention the bidding system that's in place for academy and father son selections.

High draft picks are like gold and clubs really need to nail them, and I can't help but feel this'll really set the Crows back. Adelaide have already been out of the finals for five years and while it doesn't seem like a long time, five years is a long time in footy with Carlton, Gold Coast and North Melbourne being the only sides who have been out of the finals for longer than Adelaide.

How far back do you think this draft blunder will set Adelaide? In my opinion their list still needs a lot of work as it is especially the midfield, which has been a weakness since the departure of Patrick Dangerfield who was their best player.
What a poxy post and thread....

I will say this.... Freo had picks 7, 8 and 9. Essentially the next 3 picks after crows pick 6.

Pick 9 was Liam Henry but that doesn't count as that was a pick in the NGA and points were totalled up.

Pick 7 was Hayden Young.

Pick 8 was Caleb Serong.

Young and Serong would fit well in the crows midfield

Some of the best players we've drafted in recent memory, have been over 20 - Stewart, TK, Close, T. Atkins, Blicavs etc.

Then again, guys like Holmes, Z. Guthrie, SDK, Miers, J. Henry, are all projecting well, so there's not much rhyme and reason to it, IMO.

I'd be fine with 19 even. Let them have a year off school to completely focus on footy and have time to enjoy themselves a bit, and then gear themselves up for a career - which could be anywhere in the country. Handling exams and then getting drafted and moving states is a lot to ask of anyone - let alone a bunch of kids.

That’s just from the players perspective too, for the teams it would actually make the draft effective and fit for purpose, ie the bottom clubs gets the best talent to make them better, not some talented kid who may or may not be good in five years time when the club is in a completely different place anyway.

Clubs don’t have to have these stupid ******* 5/6/7 year “rebuilds” while they wait for their children to mature into adults. That shouldn’t be done in the “elite” league.

Pointless thread.
Happens every single year, and one bad choice or incorrect selection isn’t going to break a club any more than a good choice isn’t going to make a club.

Multiple good choices make a club.
Yep it’s swings & roundabouts. I mean we chose Thurlow over Grundy in the 2012 draft, so all clubs make bad choices, easy in hindsight…

Not sure why people bring up "draft blunders" so much. Pretty much every team in hindsight has incorrectly picked Player A over Player B. Looking back at Cal Twomey's Phantom Draft for 2019 - he had McAsey at #6 and SDK #17 (fairly consistent with two other Phantom drafts I checked). If the Crows took a risk in the draft with a high pick and it didn't work out it should be open to criticism, but they clearly picked a player who was universally believed to be better at the time. Props should go for the Cats for getting SDK where they did, rather than criticising the Crows for missing out on him

His drafts and most phantom drafts aren't based off talent but where they are expected get drafted.

Saying that , Freo were crapped on back in 2018 for trading pick 6 for Jesse Hogan in that 2018 trade period and letting Lachie Neale walk out at the same time.

That was supposed to send Freo back 10 years apparently

People said the same about us passing on Parker and McCluggage and they were right both times.

That’s just from the players perspective too, for the teams it would actually make the draft effective and fit for purpose, ie the bottom clubs gets the best talent to make them better, not some talented kid who may or may not be good in five years time when the club is in a completely different place anyway.

Clubs don’t have to have these stupid ******* 5/6/7 year “rebuilds” while they wait for their children to mature into adults. That shouldn’t be done in the “elite” league.
Some clubs have to do these 5 or 6 or 7 year rebuilds because they are at the end of their finals run and had an ageing squad

SDK could have easily flopped at the Crows just as much. Quite often players are a product of the team around them, and the type of tactics a team uses playing style wise. Whether it plays to their strengths or weaknesses. Crows haven't exactly been a model club in recent years, and had a D head in a leader. Where the Cats are the best team in the league by far in terms of development and coaching. And probably the strongest leadership group as well.

Maybe the Crows were simply not the right fit for a player who had to deal with family issues, homesickness and mental health.

As many have said, it is a pointless post. Every single pick in every draft could be looked at in hind sight. All clubs have had misses and steals.

At the time, he was the right pick for the Crows. He was high on many teams draft boards. Ahead of SDK. No one can predict future outcomes. It won't set them back much, it is just one pick. They have a few holes not related to the McAsey pick. Dogs have had a few first round duds over time themselves and got a flag a small handful of years later. As long as you have more hits than misses across all of your picks over a few years.

Last edited:
De Koning had a great year, but he's not Franklin yet.

This isn't the same as Melbourne passing on Dusty or St.Kilda passing on Petracca when they were the obvious choices.
St.Kilda taking Billings over Bont is another that springs to mind.
De Koning was far more speculative than those players and picked considerably later than McAsey.

I just don't understand why this needs its own thread?
My memory might be fading, but I think Scully at least was the consensus #1.

His drafts and most phantom drafts aren't based off talent but where they are expected get drafted.
That is true but to have SDK at 17 and McAsey at 6 is a pretty big difference. Another phantom draft even had SDK in the 20s. My point still stands about the fact that McAsey wasn't seen as a "risky" pick at the time. Can't really criticise the Crows - some picks just don't work out and every club has gone through that

Will this blunder set the Crows back in their rebuild? The last time I can remember a club doing well after such a huge blunder is Hawthorn who did alright after selecting Mitch Thorp before Joel Selwood in 2006, but that was a rare exception plus the draft system was far different back then to what it is today.

In this day and age the talent pool is spread much thinner and the draft order is compromised by free agency compensation and the academies, not to mention the bidding system that's in place for academy and father son selections.

High draft picks are like gold and clubs really need to nail them, and I can't help but feel this'll really set the Crows back. Adelaide have already been out of the finals for five years and while it doesn't seem like a long time, five years is a long time in footy with Carlton, Gold Coast and North Melbourne being the only sides who have been out of the finals for longer than Adelaide.

How far back do you think this draft blunder will set Adelaide? In my opinion their list still needs a lot of work as it is especially the midfield, which has been a weakness since the departure of Patrick Dangerfield who was their best player.

Will it? No, it's just one draft pick in the end of the day.

If Adelaides rebuild fails, there were much more pressing issues that drove it and not that Fish was a dud pick in 2019. Ditto success. It's not even in spite of, it's just Adelaide got the right people in the right seats and everything flowed on from that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh a Crows thread, this will be fun to stir.....

Oh wait, it's stupid. The super draft is what you should have gone with as mentioned.

My memory might be fading, but I think Scully at least was the consensus #1.
100% he was.

I am also fairly sure if both Trengove and Martin were on the board Richmond may very well have opted for Trengove given how highly they rated him and pursued him subsequently even after his injury issues at Melbourne. If I recall he was close to joining Richmond before a medical revealed further issues sadly.

Sydney were the ones in that draft that clearly had Martin on top because they were apparently desperate to try and trade up to take him.

SDK could have easily flopped at the Crows just as much. Quite often players are a product of the team around them, and the type of tactics a team uses playing style wise. Whether it plays to their strengths or weaknesses. Crows haven't exactly been a model club in recent years, and had a D head in a leader. Where the Cats are the best team in the league by far in terms of development and coaching. And probably the strongest leadership group as well.

Maybe the Crows were simply not the right fit for a player who had to deal with family issues, homesickness and mental health.

As many have said, it is a pointless post. Every single pick in every draft could be looked at in hind sight. All clubs have had misses and steals.

At the time, he was the right pick for the Crows. He was high on many teams draft boards. Ahead of SDK. No one can predict future outcomes. It won't set them back much, it is just one pick. They have a few holes not related to the McAsey pick. Dogs have had a few first round duds over time themselves and got a flag a small handful of years later. As long as you have more hits than misses across all of your picks over a few years.
Summed up perfectly.

Our drafting from 2016-19 in general was a complete disaster. Fogarty is finally starting to come along, but aside from him?

2016: Jordan Gallucci

Delisted, along with every other pick in this draft except for Elliott Himmelberg.

2017: Darcy Fogarty

Got this one right at least. Our other pick was McPherson who will be delisted at the end of this season.

2018: Chayce Jones, Ned McHenry

The best case scenario for Jones now is to become a serviceable HB which, given the talent in this draft, is still a fail. We also picked up Will Hamill, Josh Worrell and Lachlan Sholl in this draft with Worrell the only one likely to make it (Hamill, unfortunately, I think will retire soon with the amount of concussions he's had. He's about one away from it I'd say)

2019: Fischer McAsey

Enough said. Other picks in this draft were Harry Schoenberg, Ronin O'Connor and Lachlan Gollant. Schoenberg MIGHT turn out ok, but he regressed last season.

In the end, when you only nail 1/5 first round picks in four years, and don't get a lot of value from the later picks, then it's going to significantly set back your rebuild.

You now have four players on your list from the first round of the 2018 draft.

Rankine, Jones, Hately, Mchenry

I honestly think that could end up being okay. Id move Jones on, but i think the other three will be solid citizens.

You now have four players on your list from the first round of the 2018 draft.

Rankine, Jones, Hately, Mchenry

I honestly think that could end up being okay. Id move Jones on, but i think the other three will be solid citizens.
Rankine is a gun. If the Crows can get him going, he will be very valuable to them. The other 3.... the best they can hope for is a 150 game solid B graders

This thread went exactly how it deserved to and I hope you feel embarrassed.

I bet you go to parties and talk about all sorts of things that you "knew were gonna happen" after the fact.

McAsey went around where he was predicted to go, was seen as a logical long term replacement for an ageing backline so made some type of sense for us and had the underage resume to back it up winning Underage AA honours and Vic Metro MVP.

As someone else pointed out having a crack at our drafting, particularly in 2018, where we took players way further up the board than widely predicted is definitely open to criticism and would be justified in doing so, this one isn't.

Awful.

Happens all the time, raise the draft age to 20. Think of all the players that at 16 are rated pick 5, but slip out of the first round by season end. There's so much growth in a young player every year.

Also, your threads are becoming cringe bro. Few to many Geelong slurp fests, we get it. You won the premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back