Club Legend
May 21, 2001
Bootown.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Originally posted by Jars458
No-one is underestimating anyone

In AFL football any team can win on any given day

You have not won two in a row and you can't win outside of Perth.

Clearly Crows are favourites but Freo can win.

End of strory.
Your compadre ok.crows stated:
Freo should be more worried about perhaps using these to curb Adelaides potential midfield dominance than Adelaide should be concerned about assigning midfielders to worry about the likes of these. Adelaide should let its midfield players go for the ball & let the Freo midfielders worry about them, rather than the reverse.
That my pie eating friend, is underestimation, and as i say, i hope ayresy and his merry bunch of idiots believe the same thing, i really do :)

Otherwise Jars, it wasnt directed at you, for a camries supporter, you are at least vaguely balanced - quite the shock for yours truly.

kuepper

Club Legend
May 21, 2001
Bootown.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Originally posted by Port01
As I edited in Port have won 5 2nd halves, I'd actually be interested if Freo had been better I thought we had been pretty good.
Im only going my the local media here ( a risk at the best of times) but thats what is being reported.

I must say, Connelly's rotation policy has been working a treat, and throw in bell and his never ending run, the last 1/3 of games we have been running all over the top of sides, come the finish.

Larcom, the fitness guy he bought with him has been a revelation as well, as everyone does seem to have alot more pace - guys like hasleby who were previously seen as slow, are no longer - its been very pleasing to see.

kuepper

Club Legend
May 21, 2001
Bootown.
AFL Club
Fremantle
For the record:

2nd halves:

Port 59 goals, opponents 31 goals
Freo 49 goals, opponents 37 goals

Find it hard to find the fact that Freo are no. 1.

(scores taken from http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/2002.html)
Fair cop, my fault for believing the wet toast fanboy paper anyway - but id say last week's games would have changed that slighlty, a goal less 3rd term for the wet toast,a nd you running all over them int he ssecond half would have inflated that slightly - but is there anyoen even close to that results wise?

Brisbane 59 for, 37 against.

After that I couldnt be bothered checkin ;)

Sounds like your media is as bad as ours ;)

Our 16 goal half against Carlton boosted it as well.

(I'll add I added them up quickly in my head so thats why no points are involved and I'll take any responsibility for errors)

kuepper

Club Legend
May 21, 2001
Bootown.
AFL Club
Fremantle
(I'll add I added them up quickly in my head so thats why no points are involved and I'll take any responsibility for errors)
A port supporter using their head?

I take back my apology this instant. ;)

Originally posted by kuepper

A port supporter using their head?

I take back my apology this instant. ;)

I said 'IN' my head, not that I used it.

you don't want to know what is going on in there ;)

Sep 17, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
I think anyside that could have picked up Pavlich as a 17yo pick, but instead chose McGregor, should stop thowing stones in their glasshouse, but I am sure you can justify that, now can't you ok.cows?

Last year, Freo were deploreable, and withoiut Robran knocking himself out, may have run all over you at your home ground, and then we flogged you at ours.

We have considerabley improved our squad from that point, where you have not (yes, you have new players playing, I realsie this - but %-age improvement over the squad is ALOT more at Fremantle.)

So, by my reckoning, we will go very well.

We are the #1 teams in 2nd half, and run all over the top of everyone we have played this year (even the shocker in Geelong) and we are in the very top echelon in clearances from stoppages - so your complete disdain for our midfield structure, I hope is mirrored by your coaching staff, cause if it is, you'll lose - that simple.

An old saying a friend of mine used to roll out, is that any side with Daniel Schell in it, has at least one squib - so please, I do beg you play him ... it will be far more amusing in the colours of someone else, I can assure you.

As Jars said ... any side in the comp could have had Pavlich as a 17yo, when he had not shown any form of note. He blossomed the next year, and unfortunately for Pavlich Freo had a low draft pick. Easily justified. Next question?

Last year Crows were erratic, but at least at times far from deplorable. For example in the same year Crows both made the 8 and lost twice to doggies, once to melbourne, once to collingwood & once to freo, yet still they beat carlton twice, richmond & hawks and were the only side to beat lions at the gabba. Erratic. Occasionally good. At times very bad.

Freo got us when we were bad. Even then we beat you one of those two times.

This year Crows have (mostly) lost the erratic. Still a bit unreliable, (2.12 being a good example), but far better generally (even the 2.12 was 14 shots to 3 in that quarter, Crows dominated everywhere but the scoreboard).

The %improvement in Freos squad on paper is more than crows, but it needed to be. Crows are a top 8 side, and have been in the top 8 for the last 11 or so minor round games. Last year Freo won 2 out of 22. You needed heaps of improvement. Good to see you have got some. Not enough IMO. Next?

What I think is not important at all. What the coaching staff think is partly important. What the players think is of most importance. The latter two want revenge on Freo. The coaches want to keep the relatively good start going, and see a home game as an excellent and not-to-be wasted opportunity. The coaches have targetted home games in particular to ensure wins, as they believe that that was one area Crows did not take advantage of last year.

Next?

Schell has been up & down. He got dropped last week but did very well in SANFL. He may get another chance this week. If he does well against you it will make you look a bit silly. If he does poorly he will be back on the bench post haste, what is your problem with that? Since he was dropped last week even in a week where Bienke was unavailable, and Crows won last week without him, it is not like you can mount any sort of arguement that Crows are relying on him.

Next? Sorry, you have no next.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.

I think you will find you had a zone compensation pick, and chose McGregor over Pavlich - and no, Freo could not have taken him any earlier than the 1999 draft, when we did.

Yes, nice barbed end to the post, well done, i've said it before, and i'll say it again, you are a pr*ck.

Either way, you have Daniel Schell, and the pick you traded him for is Medhurst, thanks for that, we offload a crab, and draft a real player, much appreciated.

What the hell is a zone concessional pick - you are WRONG (no surprise there ;)

Each Club was allowd one 17 year old in 1998 draft.

Freo took Longmuir
Crows took McGregor
Port took Morgan (a victorian)

No-one took Pavlich

In the 98 draft guess who was Freo's second pick???? DANIEL SCHELL!!!!!!

Crows in that draft got Stenglein and Beinke with the picks Freo gave us for Modra

We also took Burton, Herbert and Kirey
Freo took Talyor and Shipp as well

We had just won back to back flags from what I remember.

kuepper

Club Legend
May 21, 2001
Bootown.
AFL Club
Fremantle
What the hell is a zone concessional pick - you are WRONG (no surprise there ;)

Each Club was allowd one 17 year old in 1998 draft.

Freo took Longmuir
Crows took McGregor
Port took Morgan (a victorian)
The fact remains that Longmuir, J was an excellent choice, and you chose a crab, when Pavlich was available - and please dont go any further on that line, it is fact.
In the 98 draft guess who was Freo's second pick???? DANIEL SCHELL!!!!!!
Yes, and we f*cked that crab off, and now you are stuck with him - we've moved on.
Crows in that draft got Stenglein and Beinke with the picks Freo gave us for Modra
We gave you a single pick, from memory, not dual picks - so how's that work (roughly #32, on traded for chisolm to melobourne)
We had just won back to back flags from what I remember.
I hope you think of those flags fondly on the weekend too, i'd like you to be at least vaguely happy.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

The fact remains that Longmuir, J was an excellent choice, and you chose a crab, when Pavlich was available - and please dont go any further on that line, it is fact.

Yes, and we f*cked that crab off, and now you are stuck with him - we've moved on.

We gave you a single pick, from memory, not dual picks - so how's that work (roughly #32, on traded for chisolm to melobourne)

I hope you think of those flags fondly on the weekend too, i'd like you to be at least vaguely happy.

Yeah McGregor is not that good

We got too picks for Modra 29 and 34 - I looked it up.

Creative work to make up that concessional zone thing

but ok - the Crows stuffed up - but so did every other club

No-one could gurarantee they would have a bad year and an early pick the next year!!!

Wait a minute

Freo could - they never have anything else!!! LOL

Crows by 54 points

Sep 17, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows

Your compadre ok.crows stated:
Freo should be more worried about perhaps using these to curb Adelaides potential midfield dominance than Adelaide should be concerned about assigning midfielders to worry about the likes of these. Adelaide should let its midfield players go for the ball & let the Freo midfielders worry about them, rather than the reverse.
That my pie eating friend, is underestimation, and as i say, i hope ayresy and his merry bunch of idiots believe the same thing, i really do :)

Otherwise Jars, it wasnt directed at you, for a camries supporter, you are at least vaguely balanced - quite the shock for yours truly.

I don't think of it as underestimation, I think of it as reality. Amongst Crows midfielders there are three players who have won multiple awards including all-australian selections. Freo have one. Crows other good midfielders, of whom there is a long list, have been doing very well indeed. Some of freos midfielders are equally or almost as competent.

From that perspective alone, Adelaide should not be trying to match up every freo midfielder with a run-with player. They would be well advised to play their own game. Bell is clearly one player who Crows should try to minimise his effectiveness. Bell is a class act.

As for all the others, Adelaide should put faith in its midfield rather than trying any sort of negative tactic. That is what they have done to date (from late last year). Ayres has gone with maybe one tagger & one run-with player in the midfield at most. The rest are expected to be playmakers in their own right. The opposition can do the same, or try to tag Crows midfielders, or do what they will. If they beat us, they beat us. Good luck to them. At least it is better than flooding, and better than the man-on-man gameplan Crows used most of last year. When Crows switched from the man-on-man late last year to the current freed-up gameplan, where players backed themselves more, Crows have made a great improvement.

I don't see that as underestimation. It is just what Crows gameplan is.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Just for completeness...

Is Adam Morgan a crab?

Port have gone the very softly softly with him and given him every chacne to develop

sounds like he will be a useful player when he finally gets a game

McGregor was thrown in at the deep end in 99 and has since struggled to find any kind of form.

kuepper

Club Legend
May 21, 2001
Bootown.
AFL Club
Fremantle
but ok - the Crows stuffed up - but so did every other club
Which is entirely my popint re: Mcleod, eh was available to be drafted in 1994, before Freo was even in the comp, and no one touched him.

Could have been picked up #80 in the draft, but no - he didnt get touched.

Now freo on-traded him, and sure hindsight says it was stupid ... but so was every other club for not drafting him, c'est la vie.

kuepper

Club Legend
May 21, 2001
Bootown.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Originally posted by ok.crows
"Not important" is not synonymous with "not correct".
Very true, doesnt have to be.

Just unimportant dribble, as opposed to unfactual dribble - both get treated with the same respect, at the end of the day :)

Nov 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
The credability of you coweaters is lost due to the fact that your side has a *ed looking poor excuse for a full forward in Daniel Schell. From sixteen games Schell has kicked 11 . 14 and in nine of those games he didn't kick any goals, mainly being used as a third forward for Freo. In his twelve games at Freo last year, he averaged 3.58 kicks, 1.16 handballs and 2.5 marks. I do hope he does get selected this week because seeing him (try to) play in different colours against his old club whilst trying to prove something will be a very enjoyable thing to watch. :D :D :D
Say no more. :p

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Originally posted by |D_J^B_J|
The credability of you coweaters is lost due to the fact that your side has *ed looking poor excuse for a full forward in Daniel Schell. From sixteen games Schell has kicked 11 . 14 and in nine of those games he didn't kick any goals, mainly being used as a third forward for Freo. In his twelve games at Freo last year, he averaged 3.58 kicks, 1.16 handballs and 2.5 marks. I do hope he does get selected this week because seeing him (try to) play in different colours against his old club whilst trying to prove something will be a very enjoyable thing to watch. :D :D :D
Say no more. :p

Under Damien Drum the super coach what do you expect.

Whilst I was not keen on the trade for Schell I agree with Jars458 comments - you can't judge based solely on his time at Freo when the side struggled to win a game - ie. He wasn't the sole cause of your 2001 losses! I don't need to list the players who have gone on to thrive with other sides when they have struggled at Freo.

Also, agree that all sides have a had bad trades / drafting - you can't get it right 100% time, but the Crows' record would have to be better than Freo's at this stage, based on performanes. I just pointed out the McLeod / Groom trade in response to the criticsim of us drafting Schell.

Crows definitely start strong favourites for this game, but Freo are a chance of causing an upset if the learn to win away. I don't reckon the Crows will take Freo lighly considering they just won at Fooball Park last year & the horror of round 22. Freo have improved considerably since last year under Connolly, but they will need to improve even further to get close to the Crows at Football Park if both sides live up to their current form.

As I mentioned earlier Bell is the only midfielder IMO the Crows will pay close attention to - probably with Stenglein. Ayres doesn't like too many tags & will punt on Riccuito, Goodwin, Johnson (if fit), etc to create more damage than Cook, Haselby, Carr, etc. This is where the Crows should have the biggest advantage & should dominate the game like last week.

kuepper

Club Legend
May 21, 2001
Bootown.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
I don't need to list the players who have gone on to thrive with other sides when they have struggled at Freo.
No, you do.

Please share who these mystery men are.

The rest, however I agree with basically - however there is no question we have the better quality of talls across the park, and think you may well be very suprised at Troy Simmonds efforts int he ruck.

Browny 3:16

Senior List
Apr 21, 2002
Bahamas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle FC
yeah anyway seems the original post was about selections for freo, not who we didn't select in the past or who will tag who on saturday night (at 8:00pm perth time for a delayed telecast well done channel 10 you bunch of hand crankers), it seems young mcpharlin has had another set back injuring his hammy at training today. It's pretty dissapointing as he would have been pulling on the blue and white jumper in the wafl this week, get some match fitness and hardness and then slot into the freo line up around round 10 or 11.

Back