Prediction Sell me on Port Adelaide 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, the guy whose been head coach for 11 years, turned over the entire list, been through a slew of assistants (voss, Walsh, Richardson, Bassett, Nicks, Schofield, etc etc) has nothing to do with that.

It's literally everyone else's fault and never ken.

The club gave up on the sanfl as anything more than development and experimentation years ago. We've been garbage in there for ages. We didn't even bother employing a real coach.

The list is unbalanced because for years ken was allergic to anyone over 6 foot 2. They've since tried to overcompensate and now have too many young talls playing at once.

Let's review your "the list is s**t" nonsense, another common Hinkley myth. Ken's had :
  • a Brownlow medallist
  • AFL MVP and the clear best player in the comp in 2014
  • a captain who was a multiple all Australian
  • a guy who had 2x AAs before 21
  • rozee, butters, duursma, JHF
  • an AA CHF
  • an AA CHB

Look at Collingwood's list right now and tell me that's an amazing list. Look at Richmond's premiership sides.

Ken is garbage and we've been forced to put up with him more than a decade so piss off.
This is exactly what I'm talking about though. I mentioned in my post that Ken is woeful, and port would probably improve a bit if he got the boot.

But you've still managed to argue that the list is unbalanced, which is all Ken's fault, but the list isn't s***, so it's Ken's fault they aren't winning. You've listed all of these accolades for players while they played for Ken, but now they aren't playing that well, it's all his fault.

The point is that in the rush to put the blame 100% on Hinkley, most port fans are ignoring any other criticism that could be warranted.

The criticism this guy manages to escape is insane. It's always "it's not Ken your lost is just not that good". After 11 ******* years, it's his list. It's been his list through multiple rebuilds. If the list is not good enough it's on him.

Now I should say here is not only on him, though. We've got a President who once tried to criticise him and the players and the coaches cracked the sads and he filled like a house of cards. The same President has also given this shitty coach numerous unwarranted contact extensions.

We've got a board of AFL yes men and women whose KPIs are just making sure the team exists in some capacity so there's 2 teams in a state. We've gone from "We exist to win Premierships" to "We exist".

We have a general manager of football who is in a boys club with the coach and some of the players and plays favourites.

We have the worst coaching panel in the AFL headed up by the worst coach.

We have a leadership group that goes "Ah well footy ain't everything" - a view that surely comes from, or at least isn't challenged by the head coach.

There millions of problems. And once we remove Ken, who has bent this club over a barrel, we'll work on removing the rest. But Daddy Donuts goes first. Or Kochead. Either is fine.
Honestly this is a great summary. And gives a bit more clarity regarding the situation, because if the executive team, coaching team and leadership group are all in strife just firing Hinkley won't solve all of Port's problems.

Yep same list…
I don’t think any Pies supporter at the time had a high opinion of the list. We hadn’t played finals footy since 2014. We had a fairly ordinary draft with 2 top 10 picks a bust (Freeman left the club and Scharenberg did his knee a couple of times). Fortunately Stephensen played his 1st year in 2018 and was a surprise.

I don’t think any Pies supporter at the time had a high opinion of the list. We hadn’t played finals footy since 2014. We had a fairly ordinary draft with 2 top 10 picks a bust (Freeman left the club and Scharenberg did his knee a couple of times). Fortunately Stephensen played his 1st year in 2018 and was a surprise.
You’d be wrong then, I remember being on the main board arguing about our list and being shut down in the exact same way, only to be proven right the following year.

You’d be wrong then, I remember being on the main board arguing about our list and being shut down in the exact same way, only to be proven right the following year.
ok. So you had a high opinion of the list. Many didn't.

Then why aren't they playing to win for him? Because they don't have the ability to do so? Not being coached in the right way?
Cause his systems suck. Our forward line has almost never functioned to a high standard under him. And he backs in the wrong players, he pumped games into Jake Neade/Sam Gray when it was obvious for YEARS they weren’t AFL standard. Tom Jonas is basically his love child despite the fact he’s at best a less than average defender. I think this year he may have finally lost the players. The halfhearted efforts and complete lack of accountability are death knolls for Ken

Slobbo and Kane Cornes went hard in on Bevo last week (rightly or wrongly)

Haven't hears a peep from them yet about Cuddly Ken so far this is, and therein lies the frustration and angst of most Port Adelaide supporters .

No accountability or public criticism from the major Nationwide AFL journalists.

I suspect Ken is a sly old rodent, always trying to be funny and patient with the media, never loses his temper with them (like Bevo and Clarko have done so on a few occasions)

And yes the SANFL/Private Boys club who run their own elections and decide who gets on the PAFC board is also a source of s**thousery that I wish The AFL could fix (Ditto with the Crows)

I personally think they should sack him if they don't beat the Dogs at home in 2 weeks time (hard to imagine them beating the Swans away)

The regression of talented young players like Butters, Duursma and perhaps Georgiades is reason enough Ken needs to go, sooner rather than later.

Many were wrong, just as you could be in this instance.
I'm trying to understand your response to my opinion that Port fans may have a very high opinion of the list.
Are you saying you had a high opinion of the Collingwood list in 2017 so it's similar?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm trying to understand your response to my opinion that Port fans may have a very high opinion of the list.
Are you saying you had a high opinion of the Collingwood list in 2017 so it's similar?

I get the vibe that some port fans think it’s still the sanfl and should be winning the flag every year.

In saying that I think Kenny has done a good job but might be time to move on, 10 years is a long time, especially when you haven’t won a flag.

I think we should leave Port Power alone, as it is unfair to pick on the disadvantaged.
They are delusional by thinking they are bigger and better than they are.

I am even coming around with the prison bars.
They play like a SANFL team, so why not look like one.

The criticism this guy manages to escape is insane. It's always "it's not Ken your lost is just not that good". After 11 ******* years, it's his list. It's been his list through multiple rebuilds. If the list is not good enough it's on him.

Now I should say here is not only on him, though. We've got a President who once tried to criticise him and the players and the coaches cracked the sads and he filled like a house of cards. The same President has also given this shitty coach numerous unwarranted contact extensions.

We've got a board of AFL yes men and women whose KPIs are just making sure the team exists in some capacity so there's 2 teams in a state. We've gone from "We exist to win Premierships" to "We exist".

We have a general manager of football who is in a boys club with the coach and some of the players and plays favourites.

We have the worst coaching panel in the AFL headed up by the worst coach.

We have a leadership group that goes "Ah well footy ain't everything" - a view that surely comes from, or at least isn't challenged by the head coach.

There millions of problems. And once we remove Ken, who has bent this club over a barrel, we'll work on removing the rest. But Daddy Donuts goes first. Or Kochead. Either is fine.

Slobbo and Kane Cornes went hard in on Bevo last week (rightly or wrongly)

Haven't hears a peep from them yet about Cuddly Ken so far this is, and therein lies the frustration and angst of most Port Adelaide supporters .

No accountability or public criticism from the major Nationwide AFL journalists.

I suspect Ken is a sly old rodent, always trying to be funny and patient with the media, never loses his temper with them (like Bevo and Clarko have done so on a few occasions)

And yes the SANFL/Private Boys club who run their own elections and decide who gets on the PAFC board is also a source of s**thousery that I wish The AFL could fix (Ditto with the Crows)

I personally think they should sack him if they don't beat the Dogs at home in 2 weeks time (hard to imagine them beating the Swans away)

The regression of talented young players like Butters, Duursma and perhaps Georgiades is reason enough Ken needs to go, sooner rather than later.
It was Kern who saved Kornes's career when he took over so you wont hear anything negative from the five minute fireman.

It was Kern who saved Kornes's career when he took over so you wont hear anything negative from the five minute fireman.
This is a huge part of it.

Realistically, as the smaller supported club out of the two in (currently) the smallest state with a football team, we aren't going to draw enough attention to matter for most media pundents, as long as we aren't abhorrent and drawing in large amounts of money and/or priority picks. The majority of the media isn't lighting a torch under us in the same way they would a Carlton or Essendon, because our drop offs don't have the financial impact theirs would.

The only way we are going to get fire put under us for our performances is for someone with a strong connection for Port to call us out. Sadly the two prominent Port related media personalities in SA (Rucci and Ginnever) are on Port's payroll and the only prominent Port related media personality outside SA, as you mentioned, crawled up Hinkley's dick the moment he reversed Primus's plan to give him the flick and has stayed their whilst his brother is a club employee. There's not going to be criticism for any of them. It's so blatant that if the AFL media had any ounce of integrity it would be enough to drive them all out of jobs for bias. But bias has never been considered an issue for any other person in the media so we'll be stuck with a mixture of Hinkley suck ups and people who don't give a s**t about Port at all.

Wtf happened in round 1
Damn, whoever’s team that lost to Port Adelaide by over 50 points in Round 1 must suck so bad :poo:

Sad Am Fine GIF by MOODMAN

Dan Houston is auditioning for future in the WWE. Really putting on a show with 2 pretend head injuries in the showdown. The sky is the limit with what wonderful simulations he will attempt during the rest of the season. That alone is worth the price of admission at a Port Adelaide game.

I get the vibe that some port fans think it’s still the sanfl and should be winning the flag every year.

In saying that I think Kenny has done a good job but might be time to move on, 10 years is a long time, especially when you haven’t won a flag.
No Port supporters think this. It is a made up media/club narrative to excuse mediocrity.

No sensible Port fans benchmark us against our SANFL flag winning rate.

What we want to be benchmarked against is the best clubs in the AFL.

Geelong, West Coast, Hawthorn, maybe Sydney, now even Richmond.

P.s. Ken hasn't even made a grand final.
On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's been noted here that Ken has switched from Coke Zero to Pepsi Max.
Is this due to Port Adelaide WINNING the esteemed KFC sponsorship? Because KFC don't do coke-a-cola (imagine if they did! Just imagine!)

I reckon you gotta give Kenny a season or two to adjust, he'll be back to his best once he gets used to the different taste of Pepsi MAX.

It's been noted here that Ken has switched from Coke Zero to Pepsi Max.
Is this due to Port Adelaide WINNING the esteemed KFC sponsorship? Because KFC don't do coke-a-cola (imagine if they did! Just imagine!)

I reckon you gotta give Kenny a season or two to adjust, he'll be back to his best once he gets used to the different taste of Pepsi MAX.
Maybe, but even his best is a bit s**t.

I thought there was a Kenny thread here on the MB but can't find it.

I don't mind Kenny, but I reckon if you haven't got a team into a GF after 11 years, then it's time for a change.
Brad was in a similar spot, took us to a couple of prelims, topped up with free agents, but we didn't get there then fell off a cliff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back