Roast Set shots

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said in another thread, we were outplayed but the fact that we got so many set shots within a decent sort of range should've allowed us to grind out a victory. Unfortunately our kicking was woeful on top of a thrashing in the midfield and a stuttering defence.

Just a shit game all round.

Set shots were embarassingly bad to begin with and then got progressively worse throughout the game. A throwback to the first six rounds when our goalkicking was awful. Thought we'd got over this rubbish and improved but clearly not. Add it to the list I guess.

Goal kicking accuracy been a major problem for some time now especially in important games.
We also had 1 or 2 set shot misses that went out on the full.

Set shots were embarassingly bad to begin with and then got progressively worse throughout the game. A throwback to the first six rounds when our goalkicking was awful. Thought we'd got over this rubbish and improved but clearly not. Add it to the list I guess.

There were 5 that really stick out 2 in the first and 3 in the second

From watching it in the members we would have won if we kicked even 2 of the 5 or so easy set shots in the first quarter, couldn't believe how bad Walker was. Definitely our goal kicking that cost us the game, it allowed them back in early and they then had momentum. We nail those set shots and the wind is pretty quickly blown out of their sails.

From watching it in the members we would have won if we kicked even 2 of the 5 or so easy set shots in the first quarter, couldn't believe how bad Walker was. Definitely our goal kicking that cost us the game, it allowed them back in early and they then had momentum. We nail those set shots and the wind is pretty quickly blown out of their sails.

Exactly. I still have some left over rant from another thread but geez Im sick of hearing how bad everyone else was when it was these guys who killed us

Set shots from 30-40 meters or so out in front that were missed, Walker 4, Hendo 3, Tippett 1, Mackay 1, VanB 1.

There were a couple more from around 50 that were missed as well.
well, when you get on a roll, it downs your confidence and you get on a roll..

...it was all those ****ing spoons!;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The misses were beyond a joke last night. From the first miss, it was like there was an inception into every Crows' players mind to miss. Needless to say palm was firmly in face.

They should leave Walker alone in regards to medling with his kicking action. They have definately changed his kicking action trying to make him kick more on the run when kicking for goals but i think he has lost his stableness when kicking. I've seen him play at Norwood quite a bit and he kicks goals from everywhere and rarely misses. I would rate him the best kick for goal at the club but at the moment he isn't showing it.

Watch Walker in the warmup before the game and you will notice how good his kicking action is but for some reason it slightly changes during the game.

Good call Crowman32.

He has a natural fluency you don't wanna mess with. He just needs to 'stay loose' when the mental aspect of the game situation ramps up.

Needs to retain his arrogance and know he will kick the big goals.

They should leave Walker alone in regards to medling with his kicking action. They have definately changed his kicking action trying to make him kick more on the run when kicking for goals but i think he has lost his stableness when kicking. I've seen him play at Norwood quite a bit and he kicks goals from everywhere and rarely misses. I would rate him the best kick for goal at the club but at the moment he isn't showing it.

Watch Walker in the warmup before the game and you will notice how good his kicking action is but for some reason it slightly changes during the game.

Spot on the only one who can fix his goal kicking is Walker
1st
19:59 Adelaide - Walker << Point >> In Front 50m Pen, 40-50m
2nd
08:50 Adelaide - Walker << Point >> 45 Degrees Mark, 30-40m
25:53 Adelaide - Walker << Point >> In Front Mark, 10-30m

Thems the one that really hurt

I remember a year or so ago Walker saying his father and him worked out a good kicking style for goal which involved walking in for 6 steps and then getting a little on the move,stay balanced and then kick for goal. This was very effective.

As i said before for some reason it appears the AFC has got into his head about being more on the run when finally kicking the ball which has resulted in his inaccuracy. He doesn't appear to me to be as balance when kicking for goal as what he used to be.

If anyone has a copy of the Elimination Final between Norwood and Port from 2008 when Tex kicked 7 goals, have a look how good his technique was then compared to now.

Im sure Walker will work it out by himself and he certainly doesnt need others at the club to tell him how to kick for goal.

He didnt hit one flush all night. That's tightness. Either flawed technique or mental problem under pressure. Looked to me like the latter.

Seemed that way. There was equal/more pressure last week. Difference is, last week we played with nothing to lose. Against port, the media in SA is polished at piling as much pressure and expectation on the crows as is imaginable. There was everything to lose, and so coming off an incredible performance and win, we lost to the currently worst team in the competition by far. Walker wasn't alone in being off the mark. Our team basically beat itself.

It was nothing to do with pressure with Walker. He shanked his first shot out on the full and missed another one in the first quarter before there was any real urgency about kicking them.

He's actually missed a few set shot sodas this season. Remember the Kangaroos game? Ones you'd never have thought he'd missed after seeing him play last season. He's kicked some beauties as well, but these are ones where he plays on or bombs from fifty or picks them up off the ground and snaps (left foot or right).

It's the stock-standard 30-45m set shot he is having trouble with. No doubt they've tried to give him a routine and meddled with his technique. Should have left him be.

I think it was just one of "those" days for Walker. You shanked the first one for whatever reason and then suddenly you put extra pressure on the next one and then suddenly you just put more and more pressure on yourself and you become less and less likely to kick it.

Often its the better shots at goal who can be effected the worst, as they "know" they should be kicking them.

What I liked though was that the coaching staff and players kept faith in him, leaving him on the ground and still kicking him the footy. The only way to get out of it is to kick one(generally its a snap or something that was instinctive rather than premeditated), once you do that, you relax back into your natural style a lot more, as happened with Walker. He nailed that great snap and following this, was able to nail his next(and final) shot, which was a set shot.

I think you'll find Walker will be back to his accurate best this week, nothing to worry about.

Henderson I think saw Walker miss a couple of easy ones and because of this realised that there was a lot more riding on his kicks and bang, suddenly he's in trouble too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back