Analysis Some perspective with scoring shot stats 2022 vs 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

wouldn’t matter which coach you end up hiring.

Hence my comment - but even with the same coach there may be a change of avenue from a defensive mindset to a offensive one

Have you got scoring spots?
No, I don’t know how to access that kind of stat. I’m hoping others on here can contribute as well so we can get some more insight on why our accuracy has gone so bad. I’m also hoping that if luck is the main factor then we might be deadly accurate in our next couple of games!

Have updated the score tally for season 2023.

Current observations:
- we only had 26 shots or more in a game 3 times last year; we have that same stat 4 times in the first 4 rounds.

- we have 109 scoring shots compared with 85 shots last year in the first 4 rounds; average of 27 shots (this year) vs 21 shots (last year).

- against the same teams when compared with last year, we’ve had more shots against GWS, Port and Freo this year; same number of shots against Tigers.

No matter which way you look at it, we are playing a better brand of attacking footy with better scoring outcomes. Thankfully, the kicking accuracy has improved in the last 2 rounds, which is giving us a clearer idea of our improvements.

No, I don’t know how to access that kind of stat. I’m hoping others on here can contribute as well so we can get some more insight on why our accuracy has gone so bad. I’m also hoping that if luck is the main factor then we might be deadly accurate in our next couple of games!

John!

I know you said it was too early for this discussion a couple of weeks back, but since this is your original post (after Rd 4 of 2023), I thought we could check in after four rounds.

How we tracking this year?

Rd 1: 6 less scoring shots than our opponent
Rd 2: 4 less scoring shots than our opponent
Rd 3: 10 less scoring shots than our opponent
Rd 4: 5 less scoring shots than our opponent

Scoring shots total in 2022

1. 12.10 vs Freo - 22 (total shots)
2. 8.10 vs Pies - 18
3. 15.6 vs Port - 21
4. 15.9 vs Dons - 24

85 total.

Scoring shots total in 2023

1. 12.18 vs GWS - 30 (total shots)
2. 10.16 vs Rich - 26
3. 18.9 vs Port - 27
4. 17.9 vs Freo - 26

109 total.

Scoring shots total in 2024

1. 8.6 v Suns - 14 (total shots).
2. 11.11 v Cats - 22
3. 4.10 v Freo - 14
4. 8.15 v Melbourne - 23

63 total.

Year 5 of a coach and we are regressing that badly in such an important metric. Surely time for him to be shown the door?

John!

I know you said it was too early for this discussion a couple of weeks back, but since this is your original post (after Rd 4 of 2023), I thought we could check in after four rounds.

How we tracking this year?

Rd 1: 6 less scoring shots than our opponent
Rd 2: 4 less scoring shots than our opponent
Rd 3: 10 less scoring shots than our opponent
Rd 4: 5 less scoring shots than our opponent

Scoring shots total in 2022

1. 12.10 vs Freo - 22 (total shots)
2. 8.10 vs Pies - 18
3. 15.6 vs Port - 21
4. 15.9 vs Dons - 24

85 total.

Scoring shots total in 2023

1. 12.18 vs GWS - 30 (total shots)
2. 10.16 vs Rich - 26
3. 18.9 vs Port - 27
4. 17.9 vs Freo - 26

109 total.

Scoring shots total in 2024

1. 8.6 v Suns - 14 (total shots).
2. 11.11 v Cats - 22
3. 4.10 v Freo - 14
4. 8.15 v Melbourne - 23

63 total.

Year 5 of a coach and we are regressing that badly in such an important metric. Surely time for him to be shown the door?
The stats are clear and damning. We’ve obviously played a poorer brand of footy than the start of 2023. There can be no arguments to this.
However, with the recent win, there’s no real current trend to observe other than we can play some pretty good footy in addition to playing some of the worst footy in recent years.

What I will say is that the kicking accuracy is still as s**t as ever in those first 4 rounds. That’s on the players. We kicked well against the Blues, and surprise, surprise, we looked a lot sexier and a better result!

The stats are clear and damning. We’ve obviously played a poorer brand of footy than the start of 2023. There can be no arguments to this.
However, with the recent win, there’s no real current trend to observe other than we can play some pretty good footy in addition to playing some of the worst footy in recent years.

What I will say is that the kicking accuracy is still as s**t as ever in those first 4 rounds. That’s on the players. We kicked well against the Blues, and surprise, surprise, we looked a lot sexier and a better result!

Isn't the observable trend that our opponents continue to have more scoring shots than us. And based on your previous posts, this is not a good sign.

Isn't the observable trend that our opponents continue to have more scoring shots than us. And based on your previous posts, this is not a good sign.
This thread was based on the observations from 2022 to 2023, to confirm a progressive improvement we’ve made in those previous years. I felt that we’ve improved in 2023 and the stats here showed that we did. It was never to guarantee anything in 2024, other than a hopeful linear improvement, which at the moment is still a confusing stagnant phase.

This thread was based on the observations from 2022 to 2023, to confirm a progressive improvement we’ve made in those previous years. I felt that we’ve improved in 2023 and the stats here showed that we did. It was never to guarantee anything in 2024, other than a hopeful linear improvement, which at the moment is still a confusing stagnant phase.

But based on your interpretation of 2022 to 2023, doesn't 2023 to 2024 suggest regression between those years? Or weren't you being serious originally?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But based on your interpretation of 2022 to 2023, doesn't 2023 to 2024 suggest regression between those years? Or weren't you being serious originally?
I already said we’re not performing to a standard like 2023.
“The stats are clear and damning. We’ve obviously played a poorer brand of footy than the start of 2023. There can be no arguments to this.”
Do you have comprehension issues?

If it’s not permanent improvement is it really even improvement?

I already said we’re not performing to a standard like 2023.
“The stats are clear and damning. We’ve obviously played a poorer brand of footy than the start of 2023. There can be no arguments to this.”
Do you have comprehension issues?

Someone does

Stephen Colbert Waiting GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back