Analysis SETTLE IT: Why didn't Crows go for Mattaes Phillipou?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowes would also have been comfortably a best 22 player so even if we had to pay him $1m per year it wouldn't have been a total loss of money.

I would have been comfortable giving up $1.6 to $1.8m of salary cap space over 4 years to nab Bowes and Rankine for zero draft capital
Bowes looks pretty ordinary, if he’s best 22 we wouldn’t be going to well

I would have done it if we could, just commenting that Bowes looks pretty ordinary and can see why Gold Coast wanted him gone. I don’t think he will be in Geelongs side in a couple of months.
Yep...but there is still the elephant in the room that as soon as Geelong made the deal, the renegotiated Bowes contract - how the hell could the AFL have allowed that when it involved pick bloody 7 in the draft also coming their way..its one rule for the big Vic clubs and another for us - remember what we were looking at with Brad Crouch to get St Kilda to up the offer to get better FA compensation - VFL shut it right down as it would have been us that benefited - not a big vic club. Whilst I think about it..didn't Brisbane and Essendon do something like that with Daniher in the same trade period and it was nothing to see here from the VFL as Essendon were the beneficiaries.

Yep...but there is still the elephant in the room that as soon as Geelong made the deal, the renegotiated Bowes contract - how the hell could the AFL have allowed that when it involved pick bloody 7 in the draft also coming their way..its one rule for the big Vic clubs and another for us - remember what we were looking at with Brad Crouch to get St Kilda to up the offer to get better FA compensation - VFL shut it right down as it would have been us that benefited - not a big vic club. Whilst I think about it..didn't Brisbane and Essendon do something like that with Daniher in the same trade period and it was nothing to see here from the VFL as Essendon were the beneficiaries.
Because Geelong

Is it possible our plan for this upcoming trade period was already set in stone? Will Day?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've won 16 games and lost 31 across the last 2 and a bit seasons.

We aren't going too well
With you. A club like us should never, ever be near the bottom. 16 wins to me is unacceptable rebuild or no rebuild. Top clubs rebuild but never bottom out for long periods.

I'm thrilled we added 2 first rounders in Rankine and Michalanney and still kept a strong hand for next year. Was hoping we'd find a way to pick up Philipou as well, but we didn't, we spent the off-season discussing it but now there is actual football on to discuss. People seem to be repeating ad nauseum what was said all off-season, just don't see what that achieves now at this point given we have all heard it.

He's a star. Priority 1. My point was we should have tried for both. The clubs I mention would have and succeeded.
you cant categorically know we didn't try for both (AND the clear risk that Dons didn't pick him at pick 4 which would have stuffed things anyway) but either way our last 3 years of drafting and trading has been exceptional so perhaps the glass isn't always half empty...unless you dont rate TT, Pedlar, Rachelle, Rankine, Soligo, Murray, Max plus more potential (Schoey, Cook, Berry)

Yes Brisbane signed Daniher to a big 3 year deal to trigger Band 1 compo then extended him for 2 years on lower cash the next year - which would've probably dropped the compo band.

We bloody well did!!!!
Great to hear.

Do you know what format that took? Asking Dons for pick 4 before or on draft night? Or other? Dodo-ro is well known as the most difficult List Mgr to deal with so would have likely had way over the top demands for pick 4 I assume..

Either way, with 3 reported meetings with Mattaes just before the draft we have clearly conveyed our serious interest in him going forward and I imagine will be already dangling a nice juicy carrot in front of him. Seeing Dawson and Rankine and the huge ADL Oval atmosphere with a finals bound team over coming years should be an easier sell. I think its harder to get players from the big VIC clubs (inc Geelong and their ingenious salary cap 'strategies') compared to smaller teams like Saints, Dogs, Kangas and even the Horks are in for a number of years of pain hopefully making Day think twice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back