Strategy Bring Back Home Mattaes Phillipou

Remove this Banner Ad

That is crap, the club made a big effort to trade up for Mattaes including offering up our 2023 1st which at the time looked like a top end pick. Unfortunately there were no takers.

I think contrary to popular belief, most clubs like their top 10 picks, its not just Adelaide. I love the same rhetoric every year, Adelaide should of traded up. Its obvious, without a doubt, every club tries to get as high as they can in the draft. I just find it fascinating people think Adelaide can wave a magic wand and get the top picks.

Exactly, no way were we ever not going to have to use our pick 5 for Izak after earlier laying the foundations to entice him back home. Game breakers like Izak you just get the deal done and move on.

Offering our 2023 first to go to Geelong as part of their (atrocious) deal with the Suns, even with a move down from 5 to 7 was an obvious move.

If every club likes their top 10 pick, why were we the ones that coughed ours up?

We need to match our assets with our needs and what’s available.

Last year’s top 10 was full of midfield talent we’re crying out for - Wardlaw, Tsatas, Humphrey, Ginbey and Phillipou to name a few - and we had pick 5.

We fumbled the bag.

I disagree Rankine was our number 1 priority once he indicated he was keen on returning home...strange you never mentioned Geelong's local boy Jhye Clark who they used the GCSuns pick on or never mentioned that Jack Bowes expressly was only ever interested in going to a Victorian club which was the only realistic option for us getting a pick to draft Mattaes. We tried but no takers which TAFKATMS can confirm
What are you on about?

I know Bowes chose Geelong - we should’ve been in on that deal using our future first as the carrot that the Cats apparently needed, and retained 5 or 7 to draft a midfielder.

No takers AFTER we traded away pick 5.

If we didn’t trade it away - we’ve taken pick 5 to the draft.

There were other ways to get Rankine; just like Sydney demanding a top 10 pick for Dawson - we just said no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No takers AFTER we traded away pick 5.

If we didn’t trade it away - we’ve taken pick 5 to the draft.

There were other ways to get Rankine; just like Sydney demanding a top 10 pick for Dawson - we just said no.
You weren't gonna get the PSD to get Rankine home & GC had picks galore they could have sent him there out of principal to make a stand. When you agree to get someone like Rankine home on a big money contract you dont leave it to chance, you commit to them & get the deal done even if you have to give up a bit more.

This idea you just bend every club over hard as possible is great in the short term, until it backfires or you have no clubs left that aren't out for your blood.

Surely you are discounting the threat of the PSD we had with Dawson that we did not have the luxury of with Izak.
Essendon were beneath us if I'm not mistaken, they had offered Rankine almost the same deal as us reportedly. Could have been an epic blunder to send Izak through there given the Dodoro factor. Also had read that Izak himself had said he didn't want to go through the PSD.

I think we all agree. Adelaide requires a Big Midfielder
Would this work. A straight swap. Rachele for Phillipou
or offer our 1st pick plus Doedee to Brisbane, for Z Bailey or J Berry

I disagree Rankine was our number 1 priority once he indicated he was keen on returning home...strange you never mentioned Geelong's local boy Jhye Clark who they used the GCSuns pick on or never mentioned that Jack Bowes expressly was only ever interested in going to a Victorian club which was the only realistic option for us getting a pick to draft Mattaes. We tried but no takers which TAFKATMS can confirm

By some accounts it was Bailey Humphrey we wanted

Mentioned to Silvers and Kelly at the Brissie game function that he was the one to focus on when discussing inbound elite mid targets. They nodded.

We went very hard at Day. Not sure if this lad will be as good but from all accounts we visited him 3 times late in his draft year and no doubt would have planted the seed. we can afford a big deal if it’s warranted. Surely a better chance than a non SA elite mid nominating us in a trade which I don’t believe has ever happened in over 30 years..

Get it done Reidy if he is going to be elite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back