Difference between the atmosphere at a Port Power vs Pride of South Australias home games?

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst thing about being at a Port home game is NTUA. If you stand up you feel like you’re partaking in the pantomime, if you don’t stand up you have a Port arse in your face.

I can't believe you're the first person to say this. It's pretty obvious that Port crowds are way louder all throughout the games and they make a lot of noise when goals are kicked as well. Crows games turn to silence after the ball is bounced and if you cheer loudly you get old biddies glaring at you.
Both crowds vary throughout an entire game. When the Crows are winning comfortably though it's generally quiet throughout until there's a goal, but in a decent close game, especially against a decent team like Collingwood say, I have to yell so the person sitting next to me can hear what I'm saying. I've been at both Crows and Port games where the crowd has been really flat and quiet.

Our away showdown crow supporter noise is way louder than Port's away showdown crowd noise, but home showdown noise for both teams there's no difference. Its bloody loud full stop.

The loudest I've ever heard AO was when Dawson beat them after the siren (don't know why it's called a siren when it's really a hooter or a honker). It was mind blowingly deafening and lasted for minutes after the goal.

I am going to send a constructive email to Silvers with a number of these points in addition to our away guernsey (ideally being the dark blue colouring and large crow with black outline which looks amazing).

I have found Execs have ALWAYS responded to respectful and constructive feedback over the years and will pass on any feedback received
Thank you. I really would love to know the answers. It seems a bit pedantic but I feel like we have dropped the ball on some of the fan engagement. The club has made great progress in other areas but now it is time to improve this aspect. I know circumstances are completely different but scroll to 17 minutes in this video and remember how spine tingling this used to be. The music running up the race was more rousing, the banner was bigger, the club song was longer and louder, and the players ran out second to an electric atmosphere and then warmed up in front of the cheer squad. I reckon even with a 40,000 crowd we could still get close to replicating that atmosphere but at the moment there is nothing to entice fans to get to their seats early.

I had an AO membership last year and only attended 2-3 games, but after attending dozens of games in all major cities (except Perth) over the last 20 years+ the Crows crowd is by far the oldest I have EVER come across. I reckon our average crowds and members are 15-20 years (well at least 10!) older than Power fans. Just look at your TV screen
Don't have to i go to every game
Very similar to most places since moving to AO
Might be different in members

This years crowds for a very competitive, winning most games at home Crows would be a real worry for the club. Have we ever offered somewhat desperate $1 game memberships for the last 2 game’s previously if committing to next years membership?

Our older demographic, despite short term being more immune to financial spending compression pressures, doesn’t bode well for future year trends. Have power ever averaged more to home games than us before? I don’t know and haven’t checked. But I can’t ever recall us getting 30-35k so regularly to home games. It’s very noticeable and would imagine our crowds are down 10-20% on previous similar performing years. Not great.

The clear trend would be Power gaining crowds in recent years whilst our crowds drop off. Not great signs IMO. Ditto for members.

and people bagging NTUA...we would kill for this. Compare this “global scale” pre match entertainment to our VERY annoying screeching female MC and it’s chalk and cheese. We lose
Lol global scale are you a power fan
I've been to Power games it is manufactured and adds nothing we don't do. If it was so good every club would do it
We are close to our membership record this year
Crowds vary with ladder position port are 2nd we are 12th yet we still have higher average crowds. When we are 2nd our crowds would be higher again

Last edited:
I've been to a handful of Port Power games over the years, but the last Port home game I ever attended was the first Showdown at Adelaide Oval in 2014. I would say that Port crowds are louder per capita - a Port crowd of 30,000 might sound like a Crows crowd of 40,000, but only when they're kicking goals.

I've also sat and stood in various places at Adelaide Oval, and subjectively in terms of atmosphere I would say the best atmosphere is under cover in the eastern stand because the low roof traps the noise. The Hill has excellent atmosphere but a s**t view. High in the Riverbank Stand can be flat, for obvious reasons.

This years crowds for a very competitive, winning most games at home Crows would be a real worry for the club. Have we ever offered somewhat desperate $1 game memberships for the last 2 game’s previously if committing to next years membership?
I've said it before and I'll say it again - going to the footy is just too expensive these days compared to what it was in 2014. And in 2014, Netflix wasn't even legal in Australia - people have more entertainment options now than ten years ago.

'Theatregoers' are derided, but the reality is that there are plenty of supporters who will only go if it's an occasion they can share with family or friends, say a big night game or a Showdown. They're still supporters and they're a vital part of sport. These people don't want to attend alone. But three seats, even in a relatively s**t Category 6 area, will set you back $165. Three seats in Category 2 is $285.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - going to the footy is just too expensive these days compared to what it was in 2014. And in 2014, Netflix wasn't even legal in Australia - people have more entertainment options now than ten years ago.

'Theatregoers' are derided, but the reality is that there are plenty of supporters who will only go if it's an occasion they can share with family or friends, say a big night game or a Showdown. They're still supporters and they're a vital part of sport. These people don't want to attend alone. But three seats, even in a relatively s**t Category 6 area, will set you back $165. Three seats in Category 2 is $285.
Port tickets are much cheaper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both crowds vary throughout an entire game. When the Crows are winning comfortably though it's generally quiet throughout until there's a goal, but in a decent close game, especially against a decent team like Collingwood say, I have to yell so the person sitting next to me can hear what I'm saying. I've been at both Crows and Port games where the crowd has been really flat and quiet.

Our away showdown crow supporter noise is way louder than Port's away showdown crowd noise, but home showdown noise for both teams there's no difference. Its bloody loud full stop.

The loudest I've ever heard AO was when Dawson beat them after the siren (don't know why it's called a siren when it's really a hooter or a honker). It was mind blowingly deafening and lasted for minutes after the goal.
Nah that Jenkins goal when you couldn't hear the siren was pretty loud.

Lol global scale are you a power fan
I've been to Power games it is manufactured and adds nothing we don't do. If it was so good every club would do it
We are close to our membership record this year
Crowds vary with ladder position port are 2nd we are 12th yet we still have higher average crowds. When we are 2nd our crowds would be higher again
Power fan? Haha, you obviously haven’t read or understood any of my postings over the last year.

Agree to disagree RE NTUA. That’s cool. It seems to be universally lauded from every account from neutral supporters and media. I was there day one at AO opening first showdown and it was an incredible experience IMO (and to the other dozen Power and Crows fans they I attended with). Our screeching female MC is horrific as a comparison and not sure anyone can seriously say there prefer our screeching “experience”

Re member numbers, that’s fair. I see we are near record highs. As mentioned I hadn’t checked but you need to also understand the substance of memberships is fully paid up 11 game members. Not 3 game members. Not cat and dog members. Not members buying a $1 membership this year to gain next years membership.

2 questions for you:

It was reported on here that posters were offered half price memberships at the start of the year. (1) why is that do you think? Take an educated guess if you dont know. (2) if our membership numbers are near record highs, why are our attendances so relatively poor this year despite playing attractive, fast footy. Winning most games at home and being the highest scoring team in the competition? Interested in your thoughts as my logical deduction to this second - and actually also the first - question is we have less quality 11 game members. And more junk memberships. But happy to be corrected by intelligent reasoning or rational data points

Last edited:

Fair point mate. But these variables are constants over the whole competition aren’t they? And crowds are doing well for many clubs. I had hoped and expected a bounce when our formline trended up like this year.

SA is the least advantaged mainland state from a financial perspective (lowest incomes, highest unemployment etc) which may explain part of it but the older generations (which I believe the crows are disproportionately represented by) are more immune to many of the structural household fiscal pressures being felt around the nation (as they generally have lower or no household debt, higher asset levels etc). It’s the “younger” demographics (20-50’s) that are loaded up with surging interest payments on massive mortgages or facing decade high increases in rents for those that can’t afford to purchase properties

For what it's worth it's almost impossible to even give Crows tickets away these days, a massive fall from grace from the waiting list days.

I do wonder whether a club director telling fans unhappy with our 2019 s**t show to * off and support another club was you know, stupid as s**t.

Nah that Jenkins goal when you couldn't hear the siren was pretty loud.
I think he was talking about the duration of the game - 120 ish minutes. Not peaks in noise when we kick goals.

I have lived in most AFL states for a few years each so do have a perspective on overall differences:

Having attended every home game in our formative years at Footy Park,
(91-94) before being a Swans member for a few years then AFL member when living in MLB for a number of years (more recently Lions member in recent years, still AFL member for GF access, AO member for a couple of years recently and also attending Suns games living in Byron the last decade)

- crows crowds are generally loudest when we are up and about, or thrashing another team. Crows crowds loves a good kill. Get a couple of goals behind however or distinct lack of momentum going our way our crowds seem to be quieter than others in this situation. Historically excellent retention of members and good crowd numbers but as mentioned this aspect has concerned me this year.

- swans fans very fickle in terms of both attending and also immersing themselves in games. There when Plugger had a couple of milestone games and crowd went off (like Buddy’s 1000 game last year) as expected. Swans fall out of contention and interest dries up fast

- MLB teams all have differing levels of support clearly. Overall though AFL certainly is a religion there and the fact AFL had 3rd highest crowds in the world (after NFL and Bundesliga) with 10 of 16 teams MLB (inc Geelong) based is an extraordinary testament to Victorian crowds and supporters fanaticism (This was pre GSW and GCS obviously which have materially lowered averages)

- Lions crowds have become much more knowledgeable in the last 20 years. More middle class/upper middle class demographics following from my experience. Generally good natured crowd who likes a beer and doesn’t care as much when Lions lose. Lack of angst and anger which can be experienced in ADL and MLB in rare occasions from my own experience.

- Suns - basket case overall. Nothing positive to say but at least they still manage a few thousand of their own poor die hard supporters per game despite being the biggest underperforming team the league has seen in recent decades. No professional sports team has EVER worked on the GC. Not sure they ever will but Hardwick gives them a chance at least (will also make extracting Flanders etc harder IMO)

Last edited:
Nah, we're not.

Can't expect people to show out when we choked it so bad against GWS.
Wow, what a mindset…Of course you can. It’s called being a loyal fan watching your young team develop in front of your eyes (and who has also seen us smash Power twice, Lions, Saints and Blues and push Pies like very few others have)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back