Difference between the atmosphere at a Port Power vs Pride of South Australias home games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What differences have you noticed between the two home games?
Obviously less teeth at the Port home game, but for me it's the fact that before the bounce the Crows crowd are screaming for their team, while at a Power game they all sing a love song.

I think that shows a difference between the cultures of both clubs, and might be why Power are a less physical side than the SANFL magpies.
Does anyone in their right mind think the Port Magpies supporters would have all sung a love song before a Norwood game at home?

The singalong is pretty fun albeit manufactured af.

Crows crowd definitely skews older, particularly in the members.

My impression of the Crows crowd is there's a bit more of a nuanced following of the game and an appreciation of both sides abilities but that's just me.

Also when the Crows are having a bad season (or lustrum) they still have a crowd which is a pretty significant difference.

I find at Port games you have their MC yelling s**t at you non-stop, pa is louder, more songs (Fryday night footy for example) stupid s**t like perfect pear etc. almost like they're trying hard to make it an event.

Ours is more subdue, like we're there for the footy.

If you're a kid with a short attention span or suffer from adhd or something, i can see why you'd enjoy the atmosphere at a Port game more tbh.

It's average when their fans get involved.

I remember being there for Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn in Rd 2 (or was it 3) last season and it was SH*T.

You hear the song blasted through the pa, then it cuts out with 2 lines left, but the 2nd last line their fans didn't sing. You could tell they don't know the words other than the last line.

Though, when I went back for 4 games since (both of their showdowns, Giants last year, Magpies this year) they have learned the words. Maybe it was because it was so early in the season, they hadn't remembered the words quite yet.

I'd be curious to know the split these days, I've been in the members for a long time and I've noticed a sharp decline in oldies and an increase is <18 in the members.

Way less swearing and carry on than I can ever remember

I'd be curious to know the split these days, I've been in the members for a long time and I've noticed a sharp decline in oldies and an increase is <18 in the members.

I've noticed far less "kick it" screams or morose negativity waiting for the next thing to go wrong.

This might be a product of being s**t for five years and having lower expectations, or it might be a product of a more savvy crowd.

The other things I've notice is that Crows crowds have a surprisingly good knowledge of what I'd consider to be very obscure opposition players.

Come round 2 the amount of people who were very familiar with Samson Ryan really surprised me. Ditto Evans on Saturday night.

I've noticed far less "kick it" screams or morose negativity waiting for the next thing to go wrong.

This might be a product of being s**t for five years and having lower expectations, or it might be a product of a more savvy crowd.
I'm still happy that we get to boo opposition fans

But I would assume with the massive amount of podcasts on the Crows, the average Crows fan would be far more aware of what's going on as someone must be listening to them.

I agree, Crows crowd definitely getting younger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s still the odd “man up” or groan when we switch play but less so

The other things I've notice is that Crows crowds have a surprisingly good knowledge of what I'd consider to be very obscure opposition players.

Come round 2 the amount of people who were very familiar with Samson Ryan really surprised me. Ditto Evans on Saturday night.
Im convinced Port supporters don’t watch other teams.

I was at the Port Collingwood game so can only use that for comparison.

At that game, the atmosphere was dour and aggressive for want of a more concise description. The Port crowd is more like an angry mob. There weren't many happy campers where I was sitting even though the game was close.

At the showdown even before the game, the crowd was upbeat and excited, and during the game you could feel and hear the 'electricity' in the crowd.

Truth is, Port have awful supporters:)

I couldn’t think of anything worse than having Jarrod Walsh yell overhyped crap into a microphone at me….it’s bad enough at United games.
They do the same at crows games, they need to tell her, you don't need to yell into the mic, just talk normally and her voice isn't suited to that role

What differences have you noticed between the two home games?
Obviously less teeth at the Port home game, but for me it's the fact that before the bounce the Crows crowd are screaming for their team, while at a Power game they all sing a love song.

I think that shows a difference between the cultures of both clubs, and might be why Power are a less physical side than the SANFL magpies.
Does anyone in their right mind think the Port Magpies supporters would have all sung a love song before a Norwood game at home?

The singing of the song was dumb when it grew and its dumb now.

Port home games have a far more aggressive crowd though.

My Partner works at Adelaide oval and he in the keg rooms mostly and he said the noise is the most different he says Port fans are loud all through the game so it's hard to differentiate if a goal has been kicked because they are always yelling at something there's always a hum, at Crows game he says it's obvious when the Crows kick a goal, he can feel the vibration through the walls and is much louder and during general play he can hear nothing from crows fans at all.

My impression of the Crows crowd is there's a bit more of a nuanced following of the game and an appreciation of both sides abilities but that's just me.

Also when the Crows are having a bad season (or lustrum) they still have a crowd which is a pretty significant difference.
This years crowds for a very competitive, winning most games at home Crows would be a real worry for the club. Have we ever offered somewhat desperate $1 game memberships for the last 2 game’s previously if committing to next years membership?

Our older demographic, despite short term being more immune to financial spending compression pressures, doesn’t bode well for future year trends. Have power ever averaged more to home games than us before? I don’t know and haven’t checked. But I can’t ever recall us getting 30-35k so regularly to home games. It’s very noticeable and would imagine our crowds are down 10-20% on previous similar performing years. Not great.

The clear trend would be Power gaining crowds in recent years whilst our crowds drop off. Not great signs IMO. Ditto for members.

and people bagging NTUA...we would kill for this. Compare this “global scale” pre match entertainment to our VERY annoying screeching female MC and it’s chalk and cheese. We lose

I agree, Crows crowd definitely getting younger
I had an AO membership last year and only attended 2-3 games, but after attending dozens of games in all major cities (except Perth) over the last 20 years+ the Crows crowd is by far the oldest I have EVER come across. I reckon our average crowds and members are 15-20 years (well at least 10!) older than Power fans. Just look at your TV screen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back