News Shane McAdam traded to Melbourne for F2

Remove this Banner Ad

Go to any club board and they'll say 80% of suspensions were pure shafting.

De Goey got three weeks for a similar hit.

MAYBE Maynard makes sense with why you're saying but that's about it, and that was complicated.

McAdam did a dumb hit. Worth appealing but also not a massive surprise that he got what he got.
Strongly disagree.
He bumped a guy who had the ball in hand, didn't hit the head and caused no injury. When all of this was established in the case, the VFL flipped it to 'potential to cause injury'. No-one else in the entire year was suspended for 'potential'. None.
Following on from the attempted destruction of Mackay, it's clear the MRO has gone out of his way to hit Crows players as hard a possible.

Well there’s only a day left and we weren’t getting a better deal, so I would say we lasted as long as we could
We tried a few different things, waited and then pulled the trigger on a fair deal that helps us out next year.
Management wise, it was very reasonable.

Strongly disagree.
He bumped a guy who had the ball in hand, didn't hit the head and caused no injury. When all of this was established in the case, the VFL flipped it to 'potential to cause injury'. No-one else in the entire year was suspended for 'potential'. None.
Following on from the attempted destruction of Mackay, it's clear the MRO has gone out of his way to hit Crows players as hard a possible.

This word salad has no bearing on reality

We appealed, we lost. You seem to think there were magically other avenues. That’s silly, there weren’t and still aren’t

Be real

BACCS on McAdam before he requests a trade:

View attachment 1833775

BACCS on McAdam after he gets traded:

"So what, he's old and no good. We don't need him and its fine we got nothing in return for him. Absolutely no loss".

My favourite was the 10 minute turnaround from, ‘even I’ll melt if Billy is selected’ to ‘Billy’s selection is smart because….’. You have to wonder why he thinks a discussion forum is an appropriate place for him to hang around.

this was NOT well played by JR who I normally rate highly. It actually undermines us going forward. Why in the heck would he publicly state it was unacceptable to then cave in only 2 days later. Disappointing and send a message of Crows are likely to fold in future dealings with clubs.

Agree with most its been a crappy post season for us. Losing Mc Adam mainly (Doedee I think we did well to let him go and get round 1 compo). Losing Rahilly will also hurt as seems to be the gun Assistant we had (highest scoring team first time ever isnt it for a non top 8 team)?

My biggest fear is Power dont replace NB and build a war chest to poach Burgess......Chris Davies is very proactive and would have asked/be asking the question

The only thing marginal here are those who think McAdam is a fringe player

He’s played 3 seasons (excluding this year where he only played 7 games)

2020 - 13 games, still finished 7th in the best and fairest. Off 13 games

2022 - 15 games, finished 7th in best and fairest. Off 15 games

When he plays he’s one of our best players.

It’s done now. But he isn’t a fringe guy

Worth to who?

We didn’t get what he was worth to us; maybe Melbourne paid what he was worth to them
They obviously did give us what he's worth to us.

They didn't give what he's worth to you.

Ultimately, that's not amazingly relevant because it's just one opinion.

I could say your external opinion is probably balanced by the dozens of footy industry members and commentators who said we did get a generous offer from Melbourne.

Strongly disagree.
Honestly, I think the paranoia that suggests the AFL is out to get us is ridiculous.

McAdam's incident looked pretty bad. We appealed and argued that it actually didn't cause much damage. They disagreed with the appeal. That's it, there's no conspiracy.

this was NOT well played by JR who I normally rate highly. It actually undermines us going forward. Why in the heck would he publicly state it was unacceptable to then cave in only 2 days later. Disappointing and send a message of Crows are likely to fold in future dealings with clubs.

Agree with most its been a crappy post season for us. Losing Mc Adam mainly (Doedee I think we did well to let him go and get round 1 compo). Losing Rahilly will also hurt as seems to be the gun Assistant we had (highest scoring team first time ever isnt it for a non top 8 team)?

My biggest fear is Power dont replace NB and build a war chest to poach Burgess......Chris Davies is very proactive and would have asked/be asking the question
Compared to Geelong who stood firm to receive a pick in the 70's and a pick in the 90's for a draft that no-one expects to go past 40 odd selections?

At the end of the day, the buying club for a player OOC has the strong hand, as JR did with Sydney and Dawson. Sydney had to accept unders, we knew it and they knew it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could say your external opinion is probably balanced by the dozens of footy industry members and commentators who said we did get a generous offer from Melbourne.

You keep peddling this line, where's the quotes that have all these experts saying Melbourne's offer was generous?

The reality is a nothing pick in the 30s next year doesn't outweigh the loss of our forward with arguably the second biggest X-Factor after Rankine.

Compared to Geelong who stood firm to receive a pick in the 70's and a pick in the 90's for a draft that no-one expects to go past 40 odd selections?

At the end of the day, the buying club for a player OOC has the strong hand, as JR did with Sydney and Dawson. Sydney had to accept unders, we knew it and they knew it.
Agree re Cats and also Power (getting worthless picks on top of X). My post was highlighting our overall off season - not just this one slightly underwhelming play by JR (and overall its not a huge deal but does show we rolled over within days of rejecting which cant possibly be seen as anything but a negative. Whether fair value was obtained wasn't even really what I was commenting on).

The post highlighted not obtaining any targets this off season, losing Rahilly, the JR issue above, and having one of our ever draft hands in reportedly one of the weaker drafts. Clearly its organic growth next year only. A Redman or Day etc would have been nice but we need to go again next year but seemingly another poor batch of Free Agents headlined by McCluggage whose agent is already talking on SEN this morning about starting talks with Lions to extend as he is happy there. Lets face facts, we aint getting him

I thought we had a contract in front of him quite early in the year?
Maybe? The outcome probably suggests that was too late (or too low) if he was someone we actually wanted to keep - or even get fair value for.

Honestly, I think the paranoia that suggests the AFL is out to get us is ridiculous.

McAdam's incident looked pretty bad. We appealed and argued that it actually didn't cause much damage. They disagreed with the appeal. That's it, there's no conspiracy.
They reported him for head high contact - and decided to make an example of him above anyone else (including worse incidents in that exact round).
When we argued the case and made it clear the impact wasn't to the head, they pivoted and complained that we were too focussed on the head impact and that his actions had the 'potential to cause injury'.
Not one other person was reported or suspended for 'potential to cause injury' across the year.

Put that alongside the attempt they made to wipe out Mackay with a significant suspension and it looks very suspect.
Then you can add in:

• Doedee being forced to miss a week for 'concussion protocols' - even though he was not concusses in the incident, passed all tests post game, the next day and for days afterwards. They made this call based on the impact 'looking bad'. How many other players has this happened to?
  • Chelsea Randall missing a Grand Final because the AFL decided she had to sit out for concussion symptoms. She passed all concussion protocols and was cleared by doctors. Can you name me another player being forced by the AFL to miss a GF despite being cleared by doctors? Would the AFL do it to Petracca?
  • Najwa Allen given the biggest suspension in AFLW history (30% of the season - approx equivalent to 8 games in a mens season), for a very innocuous bump.
When you put them together, it's not a one-off. It's a pattern.

You keep peddling this line, where's the quotes that have all these experts saying Melbourne's offer was generous?

The reality is a nothing pick in the 30s next year doesn't outweigh the loss of our forward with arguably the second biggest X-Factor after Rankine.

Literally every “journo” on SEN and trade radio thought it was more than fair. For whatever that means

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Worth to who?

We didn’t get what he was worth to us; maybe Melbourne paid what he was worth to them

The buyer of OOC players rarely pays full price.

And they paid what we thought he was worth.
We know this because:

We know we have a bucket load of cash sitting unused that we could have used to contract him. We chose not too.

And if we did try and use that cash to recontract him - then clearly he just wanted out of the club

They reported him for head high contact - and decided to make an example of him above anyone else (including worse incidents in that exact round).
When we argued the case and made it clear the impact wasn't to the head, they pivoted and complained that we were too focussed on the head impact and that his actions had the 'potential to cause injury'.
Not one other person was reported or suspended for 'potential to cause injury' across the year.

Put that alongside the attempt they made to wipe out Mackay with a significant suspension and it looks very suspect.
Then you can add in:

• Doedee being forced to miss a week for 'concussion protocols' - even though he was not concusses in the incident, passed all tests post game, the next day and for days afterwards. They made this call based on the impact 'looking bad'. How many other players has this happened to?
  • Chelsea Randall missing a Grand Final because the AFL decided she had to sit out for concussion symptoms. She passed all concussion protocols and was cleared by doctors. Can you name me another player being forced by the AFL to miss a GF despite being cleared by doctors? Would the AFL do it to Petracca?
  • Najwa Allen given the biggest suspension in AFLW history (30% of the season - approx equivalent to 8 games in a mens season), for a very innocuous bump.
When you put them together, it's not a one-off. It's a pattern.

How does Najwa Allen’s bump get that penalty. They even said “appears innocuous” at the tribunal.

It is unarguable that our players are made an example of - particularly given how rarely we have players on charges

How does Najwa Allen’s bump get that penalty. They even said “appears innocuous” at the tribunal.

It is unarguable that our players are made an example of - particularly given how rarely we have players on charges

Appeal required.

just catching up on news and apologies if already posted. Surely if this news had been released in a timely manner days or weeks ago, Mc Adam would have been worth a lot more to Dees and Crows likely would have got a better price as had even more leverage. And Mc Adam may not have even chosen this club which is a basket case currently

why did it take 6-7 weeks to come out FFS?

just catching up on news and apologies if already posted. Surely if this news had been released in a timely manner days or weeks ago, Mc Adam would have been worth a lot more to Dees and Crows likely would have got a better price as had even more leverage. And Mc Adam may not have even chosen this club which is a basket case currently

why did it take 6-7 weeks to come out FFS?

The AFL waited until the trade period was over. They don’t want callers to Trade Radio about this kind of behaviour.

They obviously did give us what he's worth to us.

They didn't give what he's worth to you.

Ultimately, that's not amazingly relevant because it's just one opinion.

Interesting, so no trade can ever be anything but exactly even. Not the most commercial of observations

I’m reasonable, just present the first dozen and we’ll call it even.

I’ll wait

Remove this Banner Ad

Back