Roast Shane obree

Remove this Banner Ad

You and I have different opinions on some of our older players and i'm not sure how many of their games you have seen.

Fraser has been very much in and out fo form since injuring his knee playing for Victoria in 2008. I'll give you that.
Before that he carried our ruck single handled for many years with a succession of very average players to assist.

I realise you admitted the OP was probably a bit strong and good on you, but if you wondered why some where getting stuck into you then there is the answer.

Like I said...not so much the message but the method.

I have hardly missed a match since around 1998 so I have seen the majority of their careers.

Differing opinions is what makes a forum like this work. :thumbsu::)

I have hardly missed a match since around 1998 so I have seen the majority of their careers.

Differing opinions is what makes a forum like this work. :thumbsu::)

No argument.:thumbsu:

O'Bree should have been retired last year but given he is on the list now it doesn't make much sense to lose him at this point. If we were to get a few injuries in the midfield in September he'd be an option to come in. We were too young in the midfield late last year and got smashed by the best sides. If the GF was tomorrow I'd play O'Bree ahead of McCarthy. I wouldn't keep him on the list ahead of McCarthy though.

I'd definately be pushing him in the unlikely event he does walk at the end of this year. Meanwhile, for all his shortcomings (and I have not been a big fan for quite some time) he has tried hard and given his all for Collingwood over a long period so lets not get nasty about the end of his career.

Fantastic player to have on the list and he'd be the first selected should we lose a Ball, Johnson or Swan to injury.

As to next year, we'll see how it goes, but it will be touch and go if he survives for one more year. To be delisted ahead of him should be Corrie and Cook and probably Rusling who is fast running out of time.

O'Bree will be on the next line of betting along with Lockyer Fraser and Presti. Benny J should ne be a certainty to be retained. I doubt we'll turn the list over extensively - O'Brees future may well depend upon who we lose in trades (Anthony, Goldsack) and whether we delist any younger players, eg McCarthy, Buckley or Wood. He might well be the last player delisted or the last player kept.

We certainly have to make room to permanently promote Blair, so O'Bree's spot is the natural progression. Not sure whether Keefe's also in his final rookie year either and whether he'd be promoted....or Reed......its getting complictaed now!!!

Bugger it, delist him.

O'Bree should have been retired last year but given he is on the list now it doesn't make much sense to lose him at this point. If we were to get a few injuries in the midfield in September he'd be an option to come in. We were too young in the midfield late last year and got smashed by the best sides. If the GF was tomorrow I'd play O'Bree ahead of McCarthy. I wouldn't keep him on the list ahead of McCarthy though.

I'd definately be pushing him in the unlikely event he does walk at the end of this year. Meanwhile, for all his shortcomings (and I have not been a big fan for quite some time) he has tried hard and given his all for Collingwood over a long period so lets not get nasty about the end of his career.

Why? He finished in the top 10 of the Copeland. This year he has lost his spot to Luke Ball. He is down on form which is why he is playing in the VFL but he hasn't done that badly for him to retire now. He is still first emergency for a midfield spot in my opinion. Obviously Blair was selected ahead of him for the West Coast game but that is because O'Bree is on the return from a leg injury and didn't have the match practice Blair had.

Fantastic player to have on the list and he'd be the first selected should we lose a Ball, Johnson or Swan to injury.

As to next year, we'll see how it goes, but it will be touch and go if he survives for one more year. To be delisted ahead of him should be Corrie and Cook and probably Rusling who is fast running out of time.

O'Bree will be on the next line of betting along with Lockyer Fraser and Presti. Benny J should ne be a certainty to be retained. I doubt we'll turn the list over extensively - O'Brees future may well depend upon who we lose in trades and whether we delist any younger players, eg McCarthy, Buckley or Wood. He might well be the last player delisted or the last player kept.

We certainly have to make room to permanently promote Blair, so O'Bree's spot is the natural progression. Not sure whether Keefe's also in his final rookie year either and whether he'd be promoted....or Reed......its getting complictaed now!!!

Bugger it, delist him.

Given it is expected to be a weak draft in 2011 and because of all the Gold Coast picks, I think Collingwood won't be turning over their list too much and O'Bree should get another year if he wants it. Nothing wrong in have an experienced back up midfielder in the VFL to teach the young kids.

I agree with your suggestion that Cook, Corrie and Rusling will get delisted before O'Bree.

Cutting someone loose for the sake of it is very stupid. I'd rather have the depth there in case of injury, and he's putting pressure on other people's positions. Win win all around. Although I suspect O'Bree will play in the seniors again before end of season - if only to give Ball a rest.

The turning point came last year in the PF when he decided not to play on the ball when we were getting smashed and left the responsibility to Beams and Sidebottom. Mick wasn't too happy with him and clearly vented his fustrations in the post-match presser. I don't think it changed the result of the game, except for a few goals on the scoreboard because it was boys against men.

I think seeing Blair getting a run and with the gift of hindsight and a chill pill a few people would probably change their tune a touch.

The game has gone past O'Bree no doubt, he is unlikely to be needed at senior level again. If we do have injuries it would be nice to know a guy like O'Bree can step in and in some way fill the void. Obviously it'd be even nicer to have guys like Blair or Thomas push past him and leave him in VFL. It was a shocker and as has been mentioned, he probably isn't at all familar with getting tagged. It wasn't the end of the world, he still offers a bit at VFL level in terms of experince.

To be honest O'Bree in the two's is nothing but good for us. It gives more freedom to the kids, it means the kids have to work harder to get a game in the ones, it means if needed we have an experinced player to call up to the seniors. I hope as much as the next guy that we don't need to call him up, but the fact we played Blair on saturday night should show we aren't going to call O'Bree up unless he is the best option. If he is being picked on being the best option rather then reputation I can't see why anyone would have a problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back