Shattered, onto 2020. Where now?

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re absolutely delusional, They are all rated highly and it is well known they are quality players. Probably actually more then Pies fans, people around here actually tend to be harsh on Maynard & Langdon- Especially Langdon. He cops it on here, but my non-pies mates reckon hes a gem.

No one is claiming they are ‘stellar elite’ types, but just because they aren’t doesn’t automatically label them ‘non rated by outsiders & only good due to structure’

EVERY single AFL listed player are of excellent quality, so they're "not only good because of the way we play" - they are better for it than playing in a transition based wc team for example.

Any non Pie fans tell me they're good players, they also tell me that we don't match teams like the blose, wc, gws and bris for future prospects from a pure talent perspective. I'd say that's hard to argue and that's all I'm saying.

As soon as I say we aren't in the same window as those clubs on this board, you and sundry are all up in arms about it. Knock yourself out.

Claiming I'm "absolutely delusional" tells me your in defence of them and emotional, not really fussed but no need to lay it on so thick.

In your posts #145 above - you’re very clear.
“Please don’t tell me we have players under 30 to match these teams”
I clearly proved your lists were more than matched and in fact exceeded the WC, BNE and Carl list you offered.

It was never about what non pies supporters thought - it was about what you thought.

So if you’ve changed your mind based on the evidence just say so - no big deal.

In summary all I'm saying is that we don't have the same window purely from a future talent perspective and based on that we are not in the same window because I don't believe system alone will carry us past them and all the way.

Agree to disagree.

Luck did play a factor, though GWS also have their fair share of injuries. In the end we just didn't have the cattle and questions need to be asked about our inability to find a KPF. Recruiting and nailing our draft picks consistently should be a priority (if you look at past dynasty Geelong and Hawthorn, that's exactly what they did).

And I don't believe our recruiting is at that level.

Very astute post.

I think you’ve nailed so much.

The Brown boys I find intriguing. I can never question their manic training and preparation. Everything you hear they are top notch. So they won’t die wondering. (If Sier had that.....)

But I’m just not sold on Callum. Fades from games a bit too much for my liking.

On Tyler as he is taller I’m very happy to wait and see.

Either could go on with it but they just not there at this point.
I’m a bit harsher on small players if they don’t have extras to their games.

Beams I’m more buoyant about. Get him healthy he’s just too good a talent not to improve us. Until known otherwise I’ll back him in.

Sier should get a mentor and just do the work and then some. Upgrade on Wills. Rupert deserved his run this year but a medium type and can’t see ever more than that. A strong C grade type. Sier could easily be B+ or even above that as his vision is terrific. Up to him
Now.

Scharenberg I think needs a big pre season and then a string of games or else.... might be lost in the shuffle.

I’d seriously look at ways of trading if we can for Lukosius or King from GC but can’t see them entertaining such trades.

On your view point would The now underperforming Peter Wright be worth a swing at? Could we make him a better player for us?

Yeah I think Peter Wright would be a real option. Would not cost much but have to worry about how good his defensive effort will be given he really isnt mobile enough to give that effort and it only takes one for them to play through to get out. But yes I would look at. Been a bit of while Howard from Port may be gettable. I would also look at Buzza. Seen him a few times and been impressed. Behind a couple of handy blokes but if he can play doubt Cats would let him go. Taberner would be another but again just been really inconsistent.

Left field but what if we went and got another tall defender or Dunn played again next year. Could Roughead go fwd?

You mean exactly what we did in the last?
Blows my mind that it took 7 quarter to work it out.

Spot on.
Wasnt difficult to figure out we played into their hands. They wanted to compress the ground and play in close. We clearly want it on the outside but did everything they would have loved us to do. Ridiculous....

Wow. I expect supporters of other clubs to have no idea about our injury status but not a Pie fan. I would suggest Langdon, Cox and Beams are all walk up best 22 if fit and healthy. Just because they were injured weeks or months ago doesn't make their absence any less impactful.

He was clearly talking about recent outs, no need for the WOW.

He was clearly talking about recent outs, no need for the WOW.
Yeah- that's my whole point. He did exactly what the media has done in relation to our outs compared to GWS. Every time a footy journalist mentioned the GWS outs- Ward was at the top of their list. He's been out longer than Langdon and Cox. Yet when they mentioned ours, it was usually DeGoey and occasionally Greenwood. Every time Richmond plays someone mentions the fact that Rance is missing and he's been gone since round one! Therefore the need for the WOW.

Yeah- that's my whole point. He did exactly what the media has done in relation to our outs compared to GWS. Every time a footy journalist mentioned the GWS outs- Ward was at the top of their list. He's been out longer than Langdon and Cox. Yet when they mentioned ours, it was usually DeGoey and occasionally Greenwood. Every time Richmond plays someone mentions the fact that Rance is missing and he's been gone since round one! Therefore the need for the WOW.

Rather than thinking there is a bias against Collingwood, there could be other explanations such as Rance is big name and that's what people remember. It really isn't a big deal mate.

Think if we dont win it next year we will start regressing, think its happening already. Pendles, Sidey and a few others past there prime. Not a great deal of young talent coming through due to trading away all our first and second round picks the last 3 or more years. Us and Geelong in the same boat list wise.
Pendles may be getting on, but was still AA this year. Sidey had an off year.

I think Sidey can still use his endurance to beat players running back to goal. Needs to play more that high half forward role and get to our goal line rather than that wing position that pushes him deep in defence.

Pendles can play that extra midfielder role. We don’t need him to be behind the ball, we need him to be the plus one around the contest so he can create.

Treloar needs to be moved into space. He should be receiving the first handball and break a line as opposed to going in and winning it and dishing off- that’s what Adams is for.

Still would like some outside pace through the middle.

I didn’t think our ruck mid connection was all that great last year either, we generated a lot of attack off half back and we’re good on the outside through the middle, but we’re often beaten in clearances. We’re not getting full value from Grundy’s dominance imo. Part maybe set up and part the mix of personnel.
Beams inclusion and Sier's development were supposed to assist in this area but didn't happen. I feel we went backwards in the middle this year compared to last. We desperately need to address the problems. It's a combo of personnel and Grundy's terrible tap work. Grundy works so hard at other things that he can't do his primary task of providing 1st use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rather than thinking there is a bias against Collingwood, there could be other explanations such as Rance is big name and that's what people remember. It really isn't a big deal mate.

Most things aren't a big deal. I never said this was a big deal. I am simply pointing out the fact the media narrative of the poor, depleted Giants taking on the might of Collingwood was false. Ward is no household name but he was regularly cited in the "Giants are depleted" narrative. Beams is a reasonably well known player-sixth in the Brownlow last year. We were missing five best 22 players-about the same number as them. They have stuck with that narrative and now the Giants win seems to rival the "miracle on ice" as far as Jonathon Brown, Gary Lyon and Paul Roos are concerned. I like people to present facts and balance when they comment on footy.
I can assure you, I feel very relaxed and peaceful as I write this. No big deal.:)

Last edited:
Pendles may be getting on, but was still AA this year. Sidey had an off year.

I think Sidey can still use his endurance to beat players running back to goal. Needs to play more that high half forward role and get to our goal line rather than that wing position that pushes him deep in defence.

Pendles can play that extra midfielder role. We don’t need him to be behind the ball, we need him to be the plus one around the contest so he can create.

Treloar needs to be moved into space. He should be receiving the first handball and break a line as opposed to going in and winning it and dishing off- that’s what Adams is for.

Still would like some outside pace through the middle.
Sidey came top three in the Brownlow last year primarily playing on the ball didn't he? So, this year we play him on a wing.

I said he was overpaid, not that he was a complete spud. He can play a bit, just not commensurate with his salary.
I disagree, from memory it was 400k? He’s durable multi positional and plays every game like it’s his last. Critical, particularly in a midfield that tends to underperform...he allows them to play for the ball. Has become a critical cog with his hard running, pressure and smarts. Lifts in the big games too, and you can’t teach that.

Clubs have paid more for less, not many clubs would have such a senior player at that price.

Structures and role playing and s**t.. great right.. what we lack under a Buckley.. is intuition. Just someone to grab the bull by the horns in big moments. Some one brave enough to break from the phalanx when s**t ain't going right and say 'f this'.. I'm going for it.. seizing the moment.

Eg.. things are going to s**t in a game of football.. Moore/Crisp talking to his compadres down back.. saying s**t like.. 'we're in a spot of bother here.. I'm going in lads'.. so the bloke runs into the guts.. or makes a 100 meter run down the wing into the forward 50 for the opportunity to snag a sausage roll.

We went about our business for 3 qrts under stricked instructions to play a certain style and stick to it.

Understand where the game is at.. that's not your choice Buckley.. players discretion mate..

We should have won this game.. we are so bloody regimented under Buckley though. Just so predictable.

Last edited:
There comes a moment in a game where you just can't chest down the pill from a cross.. having it land at your feet.. and just lay it off to your team mate.. mate.. you've gotta go for the bicycle kick re Bucks.. 3 qrts of the same predictable s**t mate.. fancy having a player of Moore's ilk just sitting back and watching it all unfold.. chaffing at the bit to change the course of the game.. but under strict instructions to stay poot re.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back