Toast Shaun Burgoyne 200 games...and more to come in 2020!

Remove this Banner Ad

Very sad from a selfish point of view, but got no choice but to accept the changing face of footy.

Nothing but admiration for the way he served the club. He only arrived at the Hawks due to our coach and board knowing what they were doing, you know due diligence will have been done before arriving at a decision which sees another club legend leave. Believe in the process.

We survived losing Derm, losing Jarman, losing losing Bud, Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, we even survived losing Vickery. We will survive this.

Could be just the first of many guns we shift this year. Exciting times ahead.

I can remember ever job site and exactly what I was doing/driving when I first heard each report that Mitchell, Lewis, Bud, Hodge were leaving. Perhaps lying on the couch drinking cans in the midst of a month long bender makes this one easier......

Silk - Hawk legend - no matter what jumper he pulls on next. Another honourable custodian of our amazing club.

Carn Hakies....

All power to him if he can get security elsewhere and move into the next phase of his footy career.

It’s been an absolute pleasure watching this guy.

If the game against West Coast was his last he went out on a high. Had a blinder.

At the time I thought it was his last game. Watching how Smitty got around him for that third score and whispered something in his ear. They knew. I posted the next day that I thought he was gone, unfortunately, and the players knew it.

And now quickly watching those highlights again you see that Smitty is getting around everyone after every score. And after the match almost every player said they tried to play with Smith's happy attitude. He's gone as well. And the players know it.

If you watch, have a look at Jeager. Every time either Silk or Smitty went near the ball Jeager was there with a pat on the head. He's doing his bit to sustain the Hawthorn culture. Bring Cogs home, Jeager. Give him the home that every player should have.

Watch Silk's third goal here:

I would be wrapt for Silk if he could go and contribute to GC is some way like Hodgie has at Brissie.
It would be a wonderful end to his playing career and a nice transition into post-career if that is what he wants.
And I would happily track his progress at GC, the same I have Hodges and Lewis's.

He's played ten seasons of remarkable consistency for us. He's been game-changer, game-winner, game-saver.

He's given us plenty. Whatever happens next is a bonus for him and his family.

A great.

I can't see why we can't offer something similar. 1 year playing then 1 year as indigenous officer or development coach...

Guess these decisions was what Jeff was referring to in his previous email to members
there's a spot in the coaching ranks, Glass is out the door.

I wont believe the SEN hack until I hear it from Silk himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it weird that I'm more gutted by this than Sammy and Luke going?
I loved them all Sammy is my favourite Hawthorn player ever but I don't want to deal with this 😭
It's really an impossible contract to turn down but selfishly I want him to.
You deserve everything coming to you silk you're absolute class on and off the field

Hasn't he historically re-signed during season? Now that its season over and still no re-signing, it's concerning that the Suns rumour is true. Wonder who will be joining him up there

Can't remember historically when he has re-signed, but I was just going to say in hindsight the fact it seemed to drag on from when we first heard he was in negotiations and the rumour about the Suns started up all seems to have pointed to there being something else in the works.

I originally was happy to dismiss it as just being the media joining the dots to make a story out of nothing using the Hodge to Brisbane "template" to give it some merit, but it's looking more like there was some truth to it afterall. :(

Hasn't he historically re-signed during season? Now that its season over and still no re-signing, it's concerning that the Suns rumour is true. Wonder who will be joining him up there

Last year it was the first week of August.
In 2016 and 2017 it was the last week of August.
In 2014 and 2015 it was May.

At the time I thought it was his last game. Watching how Smitty got around him for that third score and whispered something in his ear. They knew. I posted the next day that I thought he was gone, unfortunately, and the players knew it.

And now quickly watching those highlights again you see that Smitty is getting around everyone after every score. And after the match almost every player said they tried to play with Smith's happy attitude. He's gone as well. And the players know it.

If you watch, have a look at Jeager. Every time either Silk or Smitty went near the ball Jeager was there with a pat on the head. He's doing his bit to sustain the Hawthorn culture. Bring Cogs home, Jeager. Give him the home that every player should have.

Watch Silk's third goal here:

Good observations, when the siren goes Silk turns to the Hawthorn cheer squad and applauds them, then gives them a thumbs up. Could prove to be a telling moment. He will be sorely missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back