Toast Shaun Burgoyne 200 games...and more to come in 2020!

Remove this Banner Ad

Got the impression he seems keen to stay in Melbourne.

Managed to find the video on the foxsports web page. Agree with you, seems he'd prefer to stay, but sounds like it is a complex decision for him and his family, and probably the multi year offer is tempting for him. Has a 13 year old , already in high school, hopefully that and the other family roots he has in Melbourne are enough to keep him at the club. After hearing him talk, I'm somewhat more hopeful that we might keep him, as he seemed very genuine when he says no decision has been made (I know everyone says that, but it seemed to ring true this time).

Should be a Silk clause in our 1 year deal rule. He was carrying his weight, and sometimes thatbof others as well this year. He’s still the man with the sword, when the big moments come.

Hawks should offer him a 2 year playing deal with the second year only triggered if Shaun plays X amount of games.

Also offer him 2 years in an off field role at the club to go along with the 2 years playing.

Clarko is all about getting “GOOD PEOPLE” at the club, Silk would have to be at the top of the list when it comes to this criteria in the AFL

Hawks should offer him a 2 year playing deal with the second year only triggered if Shaun plays X amount of games.

Also offer him 2 years in an off field role at the club to go along with the 2 years playing.

Clarko is all about getting “GOOD PEOPLE” at the club, Silk would have to be at the top of the list when it comes to this criteria in the AFL

Agreed.

Silk is worth the risk of a longer contract.

There is an article in the HS today on Silk where he spoke a bit about the decision he has to make. It wasn’t clear what the options are, but it seems pretty clear he does have options. It’s not as simplistic as comparing playing years. Hawthorn have some sort of post football option in front of him that is compelling and, from the way he talked about the decision he’s looking at, is aligned with personal ambitions.

It seemed pretty obvious from the article, though, that the Suns are offering more playing time and likely more money. So it sort of read to me like he and his family are weighing up his playing career and the more cash vs his post playing career and the less cash. Both options appear compelling.

I imagine he’s got a tough decision in that he can move on to his post career ambitions now or earn a few more bucks and satisfy a few more playing ambitions and then maybe go the post career route. Even though he’ll have another year at the hawks, he would pretty much be deciding it’s his last. Moving to the Gold Coast will have a big impact on his family, though, and is that worth 400?

I was certain he was going before I read that article. Now I’m not sure. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him stay and retire next year even though he’ll be just short of 400. And you never know, he may squeeze one last five-game season out after next year anyways and still make four tons.

A section from the HS article this morning:

Married with four children, Burgoyne said family would be at the centre of his decision.
“Our roots are firmly cemented here in Melbourne but we’ve also got to weigh up whether we want to leave and play somewhere else or stay here, and what’s best for us and what’s best for Hawthorn and everything in between,” he said.
“So there’s a lot to go in it, it’s not an easy decision to make by any means.
“It’s a very stressful decision I must say as well. I haven’t made up my mind ... I need to take a number of weeks to decide what’s best for us as a family.”

As much as I'd be gutted to see him go to GC, he owes us nothing and has delivered everything we could have ever asked as far as I'm concerned.

How has his form overall been this year? I haven’t watched a lot of the Hawks this year. The rare time I’ve watched a full game he didn’t seem to be the same player. Decision making and skill was pretty average. Hopefully that was just a coincidence of the random games I saw because he’s a legend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at the total games ladder

1​
Brent Harvey
NM:1996-2016 (GM:432 GL:518)
2​
Michael Tuck
HW:1972-1991 (GM:426 GL:320)
3​
Kevin Bartlett
RI:1965-1983 (GM:403 GL:778)
4​
Dustin Fletcher
ES:1993-2015 (GM:400 GL:71)
5​
Robert Harvey
SK:1988-2008 (GM:383 GL:215)
6​
Simon Madden
ES:1974-1992 (GM:378 GL:575)
7​
Shaun Burgoyne
PA:2002-2009 (GM:157 GL:171), HW:2010-2019 (GM:219 GL:119)

closest current player is Ablett who also debut in 2002: 342
Actually Hodge is on (since 2002) 344, didnt he retire?

Silk has played 1 1/2 extra seasons over those guys, who are no strangers to finals themselves

we'd have to make the top 4 to get him 24 extra games guarunteed

Missing out on Cogs probably improves this position

We have made Burgoyne an offer and are desperate for him to stay, if he goes he goes for free - no trade, no package and due to his age no compo pick.

They can throw us a 4th round in trade just to be nice.

Im sure 400 is his goal so if Hawks say 2 years he takes it.

I think looking just a tad deeper TD is suggesting we may be working a LARGER deal that perhaps includes multiple players, picks etc in order to bring back pick #2 in the draft...
You know, we give blessing and support to maybe including Smitty with Silk, maybe with our first rounder, in return we get #2 overall pick.
While not able to leverage Silk, the larger deal allows GC to facilitate a trade not FA, and thus maintain any compo that might come their way from losing someone from their list who's desperate to get out.

I think looking just a tad deeper TD is suggesting we may be working a LARGER deal that perhaps includes multiple players, picks etc in order to bring back pick #2 in the draft...
You know, we give blessing and support to maybe including Smitty with Silk, maybe with our first rounder, in return we get #2 overall pick.
While not able to leverage Silk, the larger deal allows GC to facilitate a trade not FA, and thus maintain any compo that might come their way from losing someone from their list who's desperate to get out.
Nailed it.

Let him go guys. It would be a bad move for our club to offer him 2-3 years.. he’s bloody old and it’s only one way from here. Would be ideal to give him one year deals at a time but not worth another Birchall situation, especially when we are fighting tooth and nail to contend again.
WTF is this? when was birchall 36?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back