Shaun Burgoyne (Past Players)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, TBH I think the Hawks will make the GF next year. I think they'll lose it to Collingwood though. This'll be a pity, because apart from Shaun Burgoyne the Hawks are my second favourite team. I wish he'd hurry up and retire so I can have a team to support in finals series without Port in them again.

That said, I thought Geelong would come about 12th this year so I may not be worth listening to.

Everyone did.

Hell I thought that we would be top 8, pushing for top 4. But that just makes me a delusional supporter. Being wrong about other clubs is different though xD

Better the Hawks make the GF than <shudder> Carlton or St Kilda.

Look Shaun had issues to deal with but we got something from the deal, he didn't screw us over, it wasn't his fault Nash tagged along. I don't really want to see him win a flag at the Hawks (unless at Collingwood's or Carlton's expense), I don't want to see him reach 100 games there so future F/S stuff gets more complicated, I'm sorry he felt he had to leave our environment, but I've moved on.

Geelong may finally slip next year when they lose at least 3 of 8 over 30s in their 2011 list, to be replaced with, um, Vardy, Menzel & Duncan :eek: very promising players but not an exact match for their most likely retirees.

Scarlett - retiring
Mooney - retiring
Milburn - almost certainly retiring
Wojo - may be retiring - if he plays GF, will be on 199 games...
Ottens - will probably go around again, they need him
Pods - will probably around again
Ling - will probably go around again
Enright - will probably go around again, onto Vets list

Not forgetting 'their' Chappy will be 30 this year in time for 2012 Vets.

Pretty damn good service they got from a bunch of old bodies.

Could I just ask, who did Shaun have a problem with at the club? Who were the main players in this "divide" between the group? Could someone PM me if you know.

Looks like a shadow of his former self against the Cats, as a dime-a-dozen HBF rather than the breakaway clearance demon of 2006 and 2007. Never quite broke out.

Still wish he'd retired a Port player, as with any of the premiership stalwarts. I wonder how things turned out in the 'sliding doors' scenario where he didn't take the easy option.

To his credit got some important touches in the last.

Cant help but be really dissapointed how his football career has panned out, could have been one of the greats if he wanted to be

Surprised he's getting bugger-all inside clearance time, would add something when Mitchell and the like need a spell.

Just seems to coast, which was his bread and butter after 2006.

Much easier being a back flank leech in a team of champions than leading a club as the key midfielder and on field leader. Weak.

Talked to a Hawthorn supporting mate who was pretty happy with Shaun. I still think they overpaid, but a guy with the composure and leadership of Shaun is worth it even if he isn't the clearance machine he could have been.

Had a couple of very important touches last night, and will get that second premiership this week.

Talked to a Hawthorn supporting mate who was pretty happy with Shaun. I still think they overpaid, but a guy with the composure and leadership of Shaun is worth it even if he isn't the clearance machine he could have been.

Had a couple of very important touches last night, and will get that second premiership this week.

Overpaid? Overpaid???

Burgoyne's finals performances the past 2 seasons, particularly his 3 clearances in the last against the Crows suggests that the Hawks got a great deal. Don't forget they only gave up pick #9 + some dodgy fringe player for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We effectively got pick 9 + upgrade from 24 to 16 for Shaun.

It was a bit more complicated than that because Nash and Geelong and Essendon were involved but that is the basic true value of the trade. Full deal was

Port got 9 + 16 + 97 (from Geelong) + Nash (Essendon)
Gave up 24 (Essendon) + 40 (Geelong) + 56 (Geelong) + Burgoyne
--------
Geelong gave Essendon pick 33 and Essendon gave Geelong pick 42
Hawks gave up Mark Williams for pick 16 from Essendon

Two first round draft picks is a hefty price. The players they could have gotten at picks 9 and 16 could have been almost as good as Burgoyne now, and far better in a few years.

Names like Fyfe, Tapscott, Bastinac, Jetta, Melskham and Menzel were all possibilities. As well as guys like Moore, Pittard, and Talia. Instead their first pick was Sam Grimley at 39 who is a ruckman who hasn't played a game.

IIRC the Williams for pick 16 trade was sown up before ours started.

Nah it was all part of the 4 way deal. Williams had already agreed to go to Essendon for 3 years. He had a contract with the hawks for 2010 but the Hawks weren't happy with Essendon's original offer so it was all rolled into one mega trade, with Geelong attaching themselves to make it happen as Essendon weren't prepared to give up 16 for Williams as they wanted some other 2nd round picks to compensate giving up their first round pick.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/confirmed-trades-2009.640708/#post-15943332

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85877/default.aspx

Nah it was all part of the 4 way deal. Williams had already agreed to go to Essendon for 3 years. He had a contract with the hawks for 2010 but the Hawks weren't happy with Essendon's original offer so it was all rolled into one mega trade, with Geelong attaching themselves to make it happen as Essendon weren't prepared to give up 16 for Williams as they wanted some other 2nd round picks to compensate giving up their first round pick.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/confirmed-trades-2009.640708/#post-15943332

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85877/default.aspx

Alrighty then. Cheers.

Well, I might be giving Hawthorn too little credit in that case, but my gut still tells me that trading with Hawthorn is always a good idea.

Alrighty then. Cheers.

Well, I might be giving Hawthorn too little credit in that case, but my gut still tells me that trading with Hawthorn is always a good idea.

Do you have ANY recollection of what happened to get that trade through? Hawks were a nightmare to deal with.

Do you have ANY recollection of what happened to get that trade through? Hawks were a nightmare to deal with.

Yep - the whole thing was a mess until Essendon and Geelong stepped in.

At different times it looked like we'd end up with one of Lewis, McGlynn, Brown or Schoenmakers.

Yep - the whole thing was a mess until Essendon and Geelong stepped in.

At different times it looked like we'd end up with one of Lewis, McGlynn, Brown or Schoenmakers.

We wanted Lewis but were never going to get him. Hawthorn never were going to give him away.

There was the mysterious list of who was untouchable from the Hawks point of view and Brown wasn't on it. Kennett went bunta about Brown being up for trade, but he had probably done the deal with GC and thats why he jumped up and down about Port approaching him.

I think we rejected McGlynn. I think Schoenmakers was on that list of wanted players. Glad we didn't get biscuits for Burgoyne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back