Should I have the right to a club membership refund?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s really up to you. There is some here who will look down on you or say you are not a real supporter of you ask for a refund.. it’s bullshit.

It’s personal choice and quite frankly none of any of our business whether you want your money refunded or not.

Clubs should get creative. What about every household which keeps its 11 game membership gets a top signed by the entire team if you stay all in?

Players aren't doing anything anyway.

Or a $100 merch voucher next year or the year after? Just something that demonstrates a degree of thanks and acknowledgement.

Those that are doing it tough should have no issue getting their cash back though.

One thing though, If I got the $2000+ our family of three pays I'd be pumping it into local small businesses. I have mixed feelings regarding where that cash should/could be.

I’ll wait and see if I get access to any games later in the year. If not, I’ll expect a refund. Perhaps they can keep the basic membership cost, but other stuff I pay for (reserved seat at Marvel etc which is expensive af and always has been, we’ve paid to build that stadium for the AFL to own)... I want that back.

I don’t consider it a charity. Elite sport, the AFL and NRL particularly, receives a LOT of financial breaks in this country. They claim community benefit but I’m rather dubious of that. I think community sport delivers far more community benefit and it runs on a shoestring and is basically reliant on charity.

Player salaries for the year are about $230m - which they’ve already voted not to accept a cut on - and execs are worth a lot too.

Imagine being told they don’t have a job this year? Your business is shut. Unimaginable.

Well that’s exactly what a shitload of ordinary people are facing tomorrow.

I get they’re facing huge revenue shortfalls but (a) the AFL do, to their credit, have some cash stored away to deal with this and (b) they need to do some major cost cutting this year in my opinion. That’s where they need to recover the majority of membership dollars imo.

If other people want to give them money that’s fine, it’s your money.

Clubs should get creative. What about every household which keeps its 11 game membership gets a top signed by the entire team if you stay all in?

Or a $100 merch voucher next year or the year after? Just something that demonstrates a degree of thanks and acknowledgement.

Those that are doing it tough should have no issue getting their cash back though.

One thing though, If I got the $2000+ our family of three pays I'd be pumping it into local small businesses. I have mixed feelings regarding where that cash should/could be.

This is the other solid point for those who consider it a donation... we might be looking down the barrel of a situation where there are far, far needier recipients of that donation.

Last edited:
I guess the question is, if you lost your job and the season continued on would you ask for your money back or continue to go to games, if you'd continue to go to the games then asking for it back now because they cant fulfil their obligation isn't about a lack of money, its because you're not getting bang for your buck and raises questions about fans dedication.
Now is the time to get behind your club if its something you cherish, if its just an avenue to entertainment then the decision is easier.

Approximately $2k on memberships for my wife and I but I’m prepared to wear that for the club. The ticket upgrades that i paid for away games such as ANZAC Day and a handful of other games I’ll definitely be hitting up for a refund

Perhaps I'm swimming against the stream, but given that the season is now suspended, a refund for failure to provide services should be offered for club memberships due to covid 19

My club is refusing to offer refunds. Before you abuse/judge/can me...please provide a legitimate argument as to why I am a mercenary and hate my club.

I am passionate about my club, but I signed up to 11 home games with multiple memberships. They are specifically "11 home game" memberships.
You should have the right to a refund. If you call for a refund you are a campaigner.

No one should feel any shame asking for a refund, there's a lot of more important ways to spend the money right now.

But clubs should also be creative.

The money right now is clearly important. Every dollar a club keeps for this year reduces the amount of debt they and the league have to carry forward, which then reduces the amount of interest they'll have to pay in the future.

So if the club keeps your membership money you aren't just helping them now you are also helping them for years to come and the AFL should have a lot of good years to come, with plenty of cash coming in to cover their losses this year.

Get the players to do members only content this year - videos or podcasts. Add discounts in future years for members who stick with clubs. Raffles for members to win upgraded seats or gear.

No, ive donated to my club to save them. Most true supporters would.

This year is a donation to help save my club. Stop preaching from ivory towers.

Sounds like you're the one preaching from ivory towers.

We all love out clubs but there's some very tough decisions ahead for people and if they think they need the cash to survive then it's their call.

How much is Mark Stevens earning?

Wonder if he would feel the same if he and his partner lose their jobs and have to feed 3 kids over the next 9 months with no income 🤨

Self righteous comment from Mark Stevens
In fairness, mark stevens industry just got closed. I think he may be on very shaky ground as will many in the football industry

No, ive donated to my club to save them. Most true supporters would.

This year is a donation to help save my club. Stop preaching from ivory towers.

I get what you are saying mate - plenty of diehards would have the same feelings as you.

...but I think to suggest the MAJORITY of people would consider their membership payment as a donation would be a romantic notion, given the current state of the world.

I get what you are saying mate - plenty of diehards would have the same feelings as you.

...but I think to suggest the MAJORITY of people would consider their membership payment as a donation would be a romantic notion, given the current state of the world.
Ok, fair call. Its horses for courses based on circumstances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an ideal way for the clubs to deal with it. For not refunding your membership, it would be great if clubs could organize even something like a scarf, signed by a variety of players, to be sent to each and every member. Like I'm sure you, as a Freo member, would be very happy to find a scarf signed by Sturt, Taberner and Hamling (or some other random combination, no matter how high profile they are). Even so much as a "Thanks Raffrox" and signed by an individual player, so it's personalized to some degree.

It's unreasonable to expect people to be okay with no refund - once people are given the choice, those who decide to turn that membership into a "donation" can then be rewarded with something that would cost the club very, very little. I haven't bought a membership this year, but I know if I did, I'd be happy to forgo a refund and find a scarf in the mail signed by even some of the new draftees. Shows gratitude from the club if anything.

End of the day though, NO ONE should be shamed for wanting a refund. Doesn't matter if you just lost your job, or if you're a millionaire. You paid for the membership with the understanding that it came with certain benefits. If those benefits are not delivered, why shouldn't you be able to get your money back? Has no bearing on how much of a die hard supporter you are

It's an incredibly difficult time for a lot of people

I have a premium membership with my football club and I won't ask for a refund - I don't need to do so

But that's my decision - and not everyone is in that position

Loyalty is a two way street and the clubs will have to work very hard to convince their supporters that they need to keep some or all of the membership money

And that will involve some cost cutting by the AFL and the clubs

But I would think there will be a number of people who will have lost their jobs that will be struggling to pay the membership money this year - they may not appreciate being asked to make a big sacrifice if the players and clubs themselves aren't making their own sacrifices

These guys really do live in a romanticised world when it comes to football.
The scribes like Mark Stevens don't pay to get in

They're the parasites who get paid to watch footy and s**t on all the folks who keep the game alive

But with that said, people should think carefully about their $200 and whether that means more to them than their footy club

Can't imagine gatekeeping club loyalty and pretending you're some elite supporter because you won't seek a refund for a membership while others will.

I won't actively seek a refund but if Collingwood come to its members and offer something, it'll be hard to turn down, but I and my whole family are lucky enough to still be working and making dosh so nobody really needs the money back. I expect the players to be taking the hit more than the fans - they're making several hundreds of thousands each, it's a true spit in the face to the public and their supporters if they refuse to accept less whilst their clubs bleed and people won't be able to pay rent.

So they all got our membership monies,for which they use to run the club, getting to games and all the associated costs ( travel,hotel accommodation,meals etc,etc ). Now they are in a position where they are going be well in front, so all clubs should end up being very financial, for this year at least.

I expect the players to be taking the hit more than the fans - they're making several hundreds of thousands each, it's a true spit in the face to the public and their supporters if they refuse to accept less whilst their clubs bleed and people won't be able to pay rent.
Didnt someone say earlier they already refused to take a cut?

How much is Mark Stevens earning?

Wonder if he would feel the same if he and his partner lose their jobs and have to feed 3 kids over the next 9 months with no income 🤨

Self righteous comment from Mark Stevens

easy to say when you’re sucking cash from the industry. “keep piling it in people”

Didnt someone say earlier they already refused to take a cut?
Well they didn't announce that they had agreed to the AFLs suggestion

So by that you could deduce that they didn't accept the cut

But that doesn't mean they won't work accept one

Well they didn't announce that they had agreed to the AFLs suggestion

So by that you could deduce that they didn't accept the cut

But that doesn't mean they won't work accept one
I spose it all depends what their CBA stipulates? I know NRL's has an act of god/force majeure clause that allows player salaries to be slashed if nrl revenues take a massive unforeseen hit...cant say i can see the AFLPA having been accommodating or reasonable in their negotiations upon that condition

I'm not a scumbag so I won't be asking for a refund. No point kicking your own club when it's down. The person who has to process your refund is probably getting laid off anyway.

The clubs are just a group of employees anyway. Your money can either be in your pocket for product not supplied or in their employees pockets for work not performed. Patrick Dangerfield once stated that footy was a just a hobby for fans as he excused the team from something and the AFC has regularly reminded its members that we‘re merely customers. I’m in 2 minds as an AFC supporter, I get why there‘s strong views either way, but calling people scumbags for requesting a refund is a bit OTT. Crows deserve what they get in this regard, delivered nothing but pain whilst telling us we’re clueless, everything is great inside the 4 walls. Your club probably hasn’t treated you with such disdain ever and certainly not of late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back