Should Labour split with the CMFEU?

Remove this Banner Ad

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
After John Setka's misogynistic comments and Queensland CMFEU only backing pro-Adani candidates, is it time for Labor to split from the CMFEU?
My prediction is that if Labor stay in bed with the pro-coal CMFEU, votes will drift to the Greens, making Labor even more unelectable.

Last edited:
After John Setka's misogynistic comments and Queensland CMFEU only backing pro-Adani candidates, is it time for Labour to split from the CMFEU?
My prediction is that if Labour stay in bed with the pro-coal CMFEU, votes will drift to the Greens, making Labour even more unelectable.

Labor*

Last edited:
didntcfmeu come and support the leadership of shorten. somehow booting them mighht not end too well

After John Setka's misogynistic comments and Queensland CMFEU only backing pro-Adani candidates, is it time for Labor to split from the CMFEU?
My prediction is that if Labor stay in bed with the pro-coal CMFEU, votes will drift to the Greens, making Labor even more unelectable.

Will defect to LNP

What were Setka's misogynistic comments? So far I've only seen comments about his comments.

• Banned
What were Setka's misogynistic comments? So far I've only seen comments about his comments.
Something about Rosey Batty not being good for men's rights, he's got a track record of assault convictions and has harrassment charges at the moment.Another example of power corrupting someone imo.

I'm in favour of removing the union's as a voting block within the alp, but I'm in the minority

Most see the historical ties with the union's from the parties founding as something that should not be forgotten or abandoned

Something about Rosey Batty not being good for men's rights, he's got a track record of assault convictions and has harrassment charges at the moment.Another example of power corrupting someone imo.

So now something comments about his comments about his comments? I'm not defending him. I'd like to read for myself what he said.

So now something comments about his comments about his comments? I'm not defending him. I'd like to read for myself what he said.
If you troll a women whose son got murdered by his father, that's enough for me .Plus all the charges and convictions he has.

I think over the last 10 years there has been a disconnect between news ordinary Australians consume, and then "news" pushed by extremely "liberal" journalists in the far left media.

I'd say I keep up with news more than 99% of Australians do. But even I have noticed this disconnect in the news I consume myself.

"Rosie Batty" falls into this second category. I understand some horrible tragedy befell her a few years ago, where her husband killed her son. Why however she has become a totem for the far-left is beyond me, such that Albo is wanting to appear as a free-speech dictator.

Mr Setka said her work has led to men having less rights. Hardly something worthy of this over-the-top far left reaction.

Seems like Labor just wants to sweep him out of the union and this is a convenient excuse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think over the last 10 years there has been a disconnect between news ordinary Australians consume, and then "news" pushed by extremely "liberal" journalists in the far left media.

I'd say I keep up with news more than 99% of Australians do. But even I have noticed this disconnect in the news I consume myself.

"Rosie Batty" falls into this second category. I understand some horrible tragedy befell her a few years ago, where her husband killed her son. Why however she has become a totem for the far-left is beyond me, such that Albo is wanting to appear as a free-speech dictator.

Mr Setka said her work has led to men having less rights. Hardly something worthy of this over-the-top far left reaction.

Seems like Labor just wants to sweep him out of the union and this is a convenient excuse.

Your thought processes are tortured. The need to filter every issue through your unfounded supposition of media bias only adds more layers of things that don't make sense.

Family violence is very, very relevant to many Australians. It's not a champagne issue.

It's the ALP, so there's probably some factional s**t going on. But you stumbled across that point.

You are the one trolling. For the third time, what did he say?

Edit : forget it. Welcome to ignore, you idiot.
Socrates isn’t smart enough to question why, only two weeks after Albanese is elected Labor leader, he’s suddenly in a battle with a union leader from Victoria.

Socrates isn’t smart enough to question why, only two weeks after Albanese is elected Labor leader, he’s suddenly in a battle with a union leader from Victoria.

John Setka has a long history but apparently being found guilty five times of assaulting police, five times of assault by kicking, seven times for wilful trespass, five times for resisting arrest, once for theft and once for attempted theft by deception then also being jailed twice for contempt of court wasn't reason to remove him from the Labor party. He's good mates with Mick Gatto. But say a few things in a closed meeting about Rosie Batty and it's game on. Go figure.

Setka and Rudd hated each other whereas Shorten relied on the CFMMEU for his numbers. Has he made a statement on this issue?

The CFMMEU should be demerged. It's become a monolith that is a vessel for power in its leadership rather than properly representing the different groups within it.

But say a few things in a closed meeting about Rosie Batty and it's game on. Go figure.

Setka and Rudd hated each other whereas Shorten relied on the CFMMEU for his numbers. Has he made a statement on this issue?
That’s the curious thing, although I wouldn’t suppose Shorten is has a hand in it, more those who were hoping to be elevated in the wake of his victory are disgruntled that 1. they didn’t win, and 2. that Albanese is now leader.

Think Kimberley Kitching.

I feel the same way - this seems much more Albo trying to differentiate himself from Shorten and being tough on a high profile union that is also his factional enemy.

Setka says that his comment was that family violence laws were unfairly balanced against women but following her campaigning and the Royal Commission the balance has swung to be unfairly balanced against men. It does appear this has been distorted somewhat to be particularly damaging.

Which I think is odd given the harassment charges which, I believe, he has pled guilty over. They would appear far more damaging than this odd, unquoted, unrecorded statement.

I don’t know. Labor losing their “workers’ rights” connection with the unions will possibly mean that even less middle class workers support Labor.

I think if Labor change their policies back to traditional matters such as workers’ rights and taxing the rich ( not the middle class s**t from the last election but the googles etc) then I think they will be more palatable.

If they dump the unions and the workers and move towards the greens which have 5% of he vote for actually green issues (saving the planet and trees which is fair enough) versus the other 5% craziness then they could get maybe 5% of the greens’ vote but might lose 5-10% to the lnp / other centre right parties that are pro middle class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given that the CFMEU has donated money to support feminist causes the ALP may be compelled to expel Setka.

Your thought processes are tortured. The need to filter every issue through your unfounded supposition of media bias only adds more layers of things that don't make sense.

Family violence is very, very relevant to many Australians. It's not a champagne issue.

Is it? And is it especially so with people that actually consume media news? I know this is the media cliche, but who are these people?

I think I'm in line with most Australians when I say I am puzzled at the ongoing attention Rosie Batty attracts. Batty after many years, at her initiation, resumed a relationship with someone that had allegedly attempted to rape a friend of hers. I don't find that heroic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back