Society/Culture Should we close down the ABC and SBS ?

Should we close down the ABC and SBS ?

• Yes

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 102 70.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You are assuming that the political leaning of an ABC journo/interviewer dictates their output and standard of work.

One of the beauties of the ABC is that their journos are of such a high standard that in most cases you can't tell which way they lean.

Eg - Leigh Sales, I would have no idea of her political leanings. And I can tell you this - she does and would grill any MP equally hard, regardless of which party they belong to.

Chris Uhlmann apparently leans "right", but I find his work to be extremely objective and fair.

And that's just two examples.

Your view of "balanced" is to have nutters from both extremes appearing apparently. When in fact that is not necessarily the way to achieve "balance" at all.

Look I know that after 7pm sky news is biased , but remember sky is there to fill a gap in the market its not a government network

Maybe you cant tell the ABC is biased because you belong to the far left ? at the end of the day quality is relative to the individual when it comes to TV programs .

Tell me why cant we have more right wing commentators on the ABC ?

You are assuming that the political leaning of an ABC journo/interviewer dictates their output and standard of work.

One of the beauties of the ABC is that their journos are of such a high standard that in most cases you can't tell which way they lean.

Eg - Leigh Sales, I would have no idea of her political leanings. And I can tell you this - she does and would grill any MP equally hard, regardless of which party they belong to.

Chris Uhlmann apparently leans "right", but I find his work to be extremely objective and fair.

And that's just two examples.

Your view of "balanced" is to have nutters from the right appear to balance out the mythical existing left leaning bias apparently. When in fact that is not necessarily the way to achieve "balance" at all.
Just remembered Fran Kelly is right leaning and doesn't hide it and I am sure that there are others.
The difference being is I still find it interesting and not enough to get uptight about it.

Andrew Bolt last night talked about how some on the ABC are trying to downplay the danger of terrorism, he gave a number of examples .What a disgrace .

I'd rather see actual examples than rely on Andrew Bolt's opinion, but I can see it's had the desired effect on his target audience.

Andrew Bolt last night talked about how some on the ABC are trying to downplay the danger of terrorism, he gave a number of examples .What a disgrace .
A right wing nutter said it, so it must be true.......:rolleyes:

This is a good point.

Does it matter their leaning if they present a story or opinion from a centrist point of view? ABC is socially progressive, sure, but I don't find that differing from many in the community.

This is a good point.

Does it matter their leaning if they present a story or opinion from a centrist point of view? ABC is socially progressive, sure, but I don't find that differing from many in the community.
I think our Sky News - loving friend thinks that journos can only present stories from either a left/right viewpoint.

The good ones however, do so from an objective (centre) point of view, regardless of their personal leanings. Which is what we mostly see on the ABC (of course there are going to be exceptions).

Look I know that after 7pm sky news is biased , but remember sky is there to fill a gap in the market its not a government network

Maybe you cant tell the ABC is biased because you belong to the far left ? at the end of the day quality is relative to the individual when it comes to TV programs .

Because that would require them to leave their safe place and to actually stand in the spot light and start providing facts.

Guys big update , I am watching last nights bolt episode and the minister for communications has called the ABC manager in to explain why they recently helped promote Sam Dastyari new book .

The death of the ABC begins

If I asked you where the ABC stands on issues like asylum seekers, immigration, coal mining, climate change, same-sex marriage, transgenderism in schools - everyone would be able to answer correctly. That tells you everything you need to know about their political leanings.

I would prefer my tax dollars spent elsewhere.
You tell me? don't they just report what's going on.

Being government funded it probably should be more balanced on political matters, I don't think anyone can seriously argue against that. But it would probably only backfire on the Coalition if they intervened or tried to shut it down.
I agree, the bad way they treated Julia Gillard for ousting Kevin Rudd V the less negative way they are treating Malcolm Turnbull is just unfair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murdoch doesn't want the ABC "destroyed".

His long-term campaign against it, headed full-time by the infamous Chris Kenny (not a d*g-f***er, of course) has only ever had one aim.

To have it "sold" by the government.
At a giveaway "price".
To him.
Using this method:

8uimMWp.jpg

Because that would require them to leave their safe place and to actually stand in the spot light and start providing facts.
So you mean the right wing pundits being de-platformed from every social media outlet then? Are they the ones in need of a safe space?

Every time one of these threads pops up, the advocate for gutting the ABC always cites evidence that happens to be behind a paywall; and unwittingly makes a very strong argument in favour of public broadcasting.

Typical left wing argument .

I don't want to pay for the media I consume , someone else should pay for it for me .

Maybe you cant tell the ABC is biased because you belong to the far left ?
Andrew Bolt last night...
Did lol

There have been studies conducted that's how a slight right wing bias by the ABC, but I dare say anything beyond a pro-Trump 24 hour channel will have you screaming about bias.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/datablog/2014/feb/06/australian-broadcasting-corporation-Australia

A score of 0.47 on the scale is the midpoint between Coalition and Labor. Any score above 0.47 represents the media organisation giving more time to Coalition-favoured intellectuals, and below 0.47 represents more time given to Labor-oriented intellectuals.

According to the Gans and Leigh study the only statistically significant slant was for the ABC Channel 2 News programme which preferences Coalition-favoured intellectuals in their reporting. This suggests the ABC news has a right-wing bias with a score of 0.511.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...s/news-story/3ad4ba13a0751a74c2b417c13dcb52d6

TWO independent audits into the ABC’s coverage of the federal election campaign and the asylum seeker issue have concluded it was impartial and its news coverage of asylum seekers was of a high standard.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/study-finds-abc-bias-leans-towards-coalition-20090902-f8gm.html

PETER Costello believes the ABC is ''hostile territory'' for conservatives, but a study has found its television news leans towards the Coalition.

Because ABC commentators are held to higher standards than the FTA network, and the requirements for factual accuracy and non-biased reporting contained within the ABC Standard would be too difficult for most of them to abide by.

The left honestly have no idea , this elite group of lefties live in their own little bubble .

Ever wonder why the liberals have spent so much more time in power ? why the republicans more time in power than the democrats ? why Hanson is more popular than the greens at the moment ? why Trump is the president of the free world ? why Australia, USA ,UK and NZ all currently have right wing governments ?

The political left elites are obsessed with all this trivial stuff like same sex marriage ,Indigenous recognition, climate change , detention centres ,identity politics , Palestine ,the feelings of minorities and we have just learnt tv shows they like .

Ordinary Australians are not concerned about these things , even if they are for or against they don't care .

Australians want more money in their pockets and they want to be safe . Anyone who wants more money in their pockets and to be safe in our country you must vote for the liberals or in the senate a right wing party .

Back