Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I need more time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As long as we don't end up playing Geelong in the first week of finals I'll be happy.

If it was to happen I would show Kurt Russell's speech as Herb Brooks in the movie Miracle on Ice

Dogs USA

Cats Russia

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 1.39.34 pm.png
I got us, blues, cats and crom all winning 2/3 games and making the 8.
Saints GWS, Syd, Ess all going 1/3 and throwing their season down the drain.

As long as we don't end up playing Geelong in the first week of finals I'll be happy.
I'd be happy enough to take on Geelong in the first week at the G after a weeks rest.

Would make it a very special finals series if we won.

Sort of a risk big to win big. We have to beat them eventually. Let it be in the first week of (this) September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bed95349395c035223d02aab85ca7e5b

A really interesting stat from Dermie, of all people, on the telly last night.

He claims that no team since 1968 has lost 3 games in a row across July, August or September (very early September I assume and may include a losing qualifying finalist that lost its last 2 H&A games) and gone on to win the flag. That's 55 years which is a reasonable sample size.

If history repeats as it has done for the last 55 years we can rule a line through the following teams as being premiers
  • Port Adelaide
  • Adelaide
  • Essendon
If Collinwood lose tonight, we can also rule a line through them. Same for Richmond.

If Collingwood (tonight) and Richmond (Sunday) lose, and the stat holds true, only the following teams can win this years premiership.
  • Melbourne
  • Brisbane
  • Carlton
  • Dogs
  • GWS
  • Geelong
  • Sydney
With 3 rounds left, the above teams, apart from not making the 8, would have to do the following to eliminate themselves as premiership contenders on the basis of (recent) history

Lose the next 3 in a row
  • Melbourne (or last 2 H&A plus QF)
  • Brisbane (or last 2 H&A plus QF)
  • Carlton
  • Dogs
  • Geelong
  • Sydney
Lose the next 2 in a row
  • GWS
  • Saints
Lose the next game
  • Pies
  • Tigers

It's over already
  • Port
  • Essendon
  • Adelaide

Last edited:
A really interesting stat from Dermie, of all people, on the telly last night.

He claims that no team since 1968 has lost 3 games in a row across July, August or September (very early September I assume) and gone on to win the flag. That's 55 years which is a reasonable sample size.

If history repeats as it has done for the last 55 years we can rule a line through the following teams as being premiers
  • Port Adelaide
  • Adelaide
  • Essendon
If Collinwood lose tonight, we can also rule a line through them. Same for Richmond.

If Collingwood (tonight) and Richmond (Sunday) lose, and the stat holds true, only the following teams can win this years premiership.
  • Melbourne
  • Brisbane
  • Carlton
  • Dogs
  • GWS
  • Geelong
  • Sydney
With 3 rounds left, the above teams, apart from not making the 8, would have to do the following to eliminate themselves as premiership contenders on the basis of (recent) history

Lose the next 3 in a row
  • Melbourne
  • Brisbane
  • Carlton
  • Dogs
  • Geelong
  • Sydney
Lose the next 2 in a row
  • GWS
  • Saints
Lose the next game
  • Pies
  • Tigers

It's already too late
  • Port
  • Essendon
  • Adelaide
Meh ... records are there to be broken.
Nobody had ever won from 7th either. Until 2016.

1691742901385.jpeg

I am really torn, I would love Geelong to miss the finals, but then if they do they will get a good draft pick, and they will go for mids. But if they make finals it could be 8th and they play against Carlton in an away final, which could be good too.

I am really torn, I would love Geelong to miss the finals, but then if they do they will get a good draft pick, and they will go for mids. But if they make finals it could be 8th and they play against Carlton in an away final, which could be good too.
The Cats fate is in the Saints' hands before it's in ours. The Saints time to shine .....

Back