Smith, Root, Williamson, Kohli

Who is/will be the 'batsman of their generation'?

• Steve Smith

Votes: 79 52.3%
  • Joe Root

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • Kane Williamson

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Virat Kohli

Votes: 29 19.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
In the last generation of cricket the conversation was very much 'Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara, Kallis' as to who was the best batsmen of their generation.

I think these four are currently driving the conversation for the new generation. They currently occupy the top three in the ICC test batsman rankings and are all relatively young.

So they question is, who do you think will be the best batsman of this generation? I've also included an 'other' option. Even though I can't see someone who will surpass these four, some may think otherwise.

Here is the players records as they stand:

Steve Smith:

qAiRiaf.png

Joe Root:

gXeygRf.png

Kane Williamson:

MudE9NM.png

Virat Kohli:

wZA1R2S.png

You can use other things such as captaincy, batting position, fielding ability etc to justify your argument. Also, this isn't just for test batting, it's in all forms of cricket.

So, who do you think it is?

AB De Villiers? Alistair Cook?

30 or over iirc

Smith is the best player in the world right now.

Can do it any which way possible and is one of the best fieldsmen in the world. Williamson has him covered with his bowling whiclt Root easily has the most punchable faces of the four.

Combining all formats I would go with Smith, Williamson, Root and then Kohli

I hold pretty high hopes for Chandimal as well. Hopefully he can average 50+. India have a few other very good young talents too, like Iyer.

I find it hard to separate those in this thread, I think they're all on a pretty even level.

AB De Villiers? Alistair Cook?
Does AB fall in between generations? Too young to be compared with Ponting, Tendulakar et al, too old to compare to Smith, Root, Kholi etc?

That said, he was my first thought, best player of the past five years in a canter, average over 50 in both Tests and ODI, while also keeping at times.

Smith narrowly ahead of Root for now, for mine, though catching fast. Haven't seen enough of Williamson but the stats are impressive. Cook not in the frame.

Very hard to split them. All four will end up greats of the game, it will be a privilege to watch them. If I had to choose, Williamson for tests, Kohli for ODI.

Williamson for mine. Usually it takes Kiwi batsmen who have been thrown in at the deep end a lot longer to find their range at international level. All of their premier batsman in the time I've watched NZ have had their averages destroyed by having to learn on the job as young players. John Wright, Martin Crowe and Stephen Fleming heading that list.

He has the right balance of technique, shot making and temperament to keep producing at a high level for a lot longer than the others.

Last edited:
Very hard to split them. All four will end up greats of the game, it will be a privilege to watch them. If I had to choose, Williamson for tests, Kohli for ODI.
Exactly the same for me. With Williamson overall the best player.

I don't think anyone would disagree that purely looks wise that Williamson is the best to watch. I can't think of a batman I've enjoyed watching so much since Damien Martyn. He has it all.

Such a good technique.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does AB fall in between generations? Too young to be compared with Ponting, Tendulakar et al, too old to compare to Smith, Root, Kholi etc?
If we are saying Lara is the same generation as Kallis, then AB and Cook are young enough to be included with the other four.

I think Williamson will be the best test-batsmen of the lot...if you look at a sample size of the last 2 years his form is unbelievable (as is Smith's!).

Whenever Smith is doubted though he just goes to another level so it wouldn't surprise at all to see him finish top of this pile.

Kohli undoubtedly the best short-form batsmen...his ODI record is just something else, churns out centuries for fun!. Test wise though I don't think Kohli or Root are at the same level as Williamson and Smith.

Williamson just ahead for mine. He is absolute textbook. A delight in the age of sloggers. He almost went a whole year without getting caught behind in test cricket (only in the pink ball chaos of adelaide did he nick one), incredible statistic.

The other three are pretty good too, but do have a few weaknesses. Kohli undoubtedly the best short form player though.

Williamson's ability to keep his head so still is just magic. It really is a tough one, but I would have to say he's my favourite of the bunch to watch. Absolutely bankable in his consistency as well no matter the format (although with these four, they all are!).

Kohli a margin behind those other 3...

Older and less accomplished in the hardest discipline.

1989, 1990, 1990, 1988. Hardly a generation gap. Also has the best ODI record by a mile. The Lara/Tendulkar/Ponting comparisons don't dwell on the fact that Lara is 4 years older than Tendulkar and 5 years older than Ponting.

Anyway, no love for Mominul Haque? A year younger than Root and Williamson, 17 tests, 1456 runs @ 56. I hope that more challengers emerge from the other test nations. When all the attention was on Lara/Tendulkar/Ponting guys like Kallis, Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Yousuf etc. all managed to fly under the radar. With the exception of Zimbabwe who I think will lose test status the Windies seem the least likely to produce top quality test batsmen at this point.

1989, 1990, 1990, 1988. Hardly a generation gap. Also has the best ODI record by a mile. The Lara/Tendulkar/Ponting comparisons don't dwell on the fact that Lara is 4 years older than Tendulkar and 5 years older than Ponting.

Anyway, no love for Mominul Haque? A year younger than Root and Williamson, 17 tests, 1456 runs @ 56. I hope that more challengers emerge from the other test nations. When all the attention was on Lara/Tendulkar/Ponting guys like Kallis, Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Yousuf etc. all managed to fly under the radar. With the exception of Zimbabwe who I think will lose test status the Windies seem the least likely to produce top quality test batsmen at this point.

They don't dwell on it because they have all completed their careers now. That isn't the case with these 4.

The maturity each year of a batsman from say 22 to 30 is huge. Hell from 22-24 alone was phenomenal for Smith.

I don't rate ODI cricket anywhere nearly as high as test cricket as an assessment of a cricketer. It is a game manufactured on bland pitches to maximise runs.

It is why Bevan is never talked about in the same breath as Hussey as a complete batsman. Or why brad hogg isn't compared to shane warne - despite the similarities (warne marginally ahead) in their ODI bowling stats. Or Brett Lee to Glenn McGrath.

Test cricket is the foremost assessment of a players quality - Kohli is a significant margin behind with a greater level of maturity.

They don't dwell on it because they have all completed their careers now. That isn't the case with these 4.

The maturity each year of a batsman from say 22 to 30 is huge. Hell from 22-24 alone was phenomenal for Smith.

I don't rate ODI cricket anywhere nearly as high as test cricket as an assessment of a cricketer. It is a game manufactured on bland pitches to maximise runs.

It is why Bevan is never talked about in the same breath as Hussey as a complete batsman. Or why brad hogg isn't compared to shane warne - despite the similarities (warne marginally ahead) in their ODI bowling stats. Or Brett Lee to Glenn McGrath.

Test cricket is the foremost assessment of a players quality - Kohli is a significant margin behind with a greater level of maturity.
Kohli's test cricket has come a long way in the last twelve months or so. I'd say he has the ability to have an average greater than 50 if he continues on that trajectory. He's a bit behind at this stage, though.

Back