Prediction Something special is brewing on the Gold Coast in 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

Scored 2 goals, and really is the only one providing contest, not chance to be dropped again based on his performance. A lot people had him as top 5 best players against Demons.
A bit surprised nobody suggested Atkins or even Sharp.

Last edited:
Scored 2 goals, and really is the only one providing contest, not chance to be dropped again based on his performance. A lot people had him as top 5 best players against Demons.
If Ur relying on Levi you are cooked.

Rather see you use a small mobile fwd line than long bombs to Levi. Recipe for disaster.

No way Holman is dropped - his pressure, contest, hardness is elite, ultimate team player.

Copped a decent knock to the head in the last quarter. I do like him though. Heart and soul player. Wouldn't mind his hardness at the Dogs at times.

Levi played great. No way they drop him.

Copped a decent knock to the head in the last quarter. I do like him though. Heart and soul player. Wouldn't mind his hardness at the Dogs at times.
277570283_10158687365775509_5547100594757287787_n.jpg

Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves
Don't get ahead of yourself if I could suggest.
I went one step ahead of where we currently are in response to a comment about the upcoming round 4 fixture. Literally could not have gone any less into the future than the one step and my comment also stated IF we were to beat GWS, not when.

I get it though. I understand our fanbase is very hesitant to discuss any match as if we're going to win. Fair enough.

I said before the season began that Gold Coast - despite losing Ben King for the season - should be aiming to equal their club-record 10 wins in a season, and as of their solid win against Carlton at Metricon this afternoon they are back to a respectable 2-2.

Their is plenty of run and drive from the midfield and half-back line; a Levi Casboult-led forward line isn't an ideal set-up but they are making the best of what they have, and Chol has really given them something by supporting Witts in the ruck and providing a target up forward. Malcolm Rosas up forward today was a real bonus, I'd never seen him play before but it was nice to see Gold Coast not just relying on Rankine to offer a ground-ball F50 spark.

Getting tons from their unheralded types like Powell, who has had a big year to date.

Their is plenty of run and drive from the midfield and half-back line; a Levi Casboult-led forward line isn't an ideal set-up but they are making the best of what they have, and Chol has really given them something by supporting Witts in the ruck and providing a target up forward. Malcolm Rosas up forward today was a real bonus, I'd never seen him play before but it was nice to see Gold Coast not just relying on Rankine to offer a ground-ball F50 spark.
Surprisingly, their forward line has been very productive this season. Chol has kicked 9 goals and Casboult has kicked 8 goals. Then their smalls have shown up like Rosas today with 3 goals and Rankine with 4 goals in round 1. It doesn't look like a forward line that should work on paper but they're making it work.

It is funny in a way because they have lost King but they look much better structurally this season with Casboult and Chol doing a respectable job up forward with the added bonus of Chol backing up Witts. Imagine how much better they'd look in that regard if they had King out there as well? Such a shame he went down. They have some great talent all over the ground now though. Powell and Ballard are rock solid down back, Lukosius, Rankine and Rosas exciting up forward, and Rowell, Anderson and Davies have all shown heaps this season supporting Witts and Miller. Hollands and Andrew played well in the reserves today too, Suns fans will be looking forward to those two playing seniors.

The likes of Collins, Weller and Ellis are decent experienced players to help the younger guys. Suns should definitely be aiming for a 10 win season minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprisingly, their forward line has been very productive this season. Chol has kicked 9 goals and Casboult has kicked 8 goals. Then their smalls have shown up like Rosas today with 3 goals and Rankine with 4 goals in round 1. It doesn't look like a forward line that should work on paper but they're making it work.

I liked what I saw of Josh Corbett last year, today was the first time in 2022 I've seen him a) in the team and b) making an impact - he's a very handy 3rd marking target. There's decent depth to their squad.

It is funny in a way because they have lost King but they look much better structurally this season with Casboult and Chol doing a respectable job up forward with the added bonus of Chol backing up Witts. Imagine how much better they'd look in that regard if they had King out there as well? Such a shame he went down. They have some great talent all over the ground now though. Powell and Ballard are rock solid down back, Lukosius, Rankine and Rosas exciting up forward, and Rowell, Anderson and Davies have all shown heaps this season supporting Witts and Miller. Hollands and Andrew played well in the reserves today too, Suns fans will be looking forward to those two playing seniors.

The likes of Collins, Weller and Ellis are decent experienced players to help the younger guys. Suns should definitely be aiming for a 10 win season minimum.

Davies could be anything, really exciting talent from Cairns, reminds me a bit of Joel Corey but more naturally gifted.

I said before the season began that Gold Coast - despite losing Ben King for the season - should be aiming to equal their club-record 10 wins in a season, and as of their solid win against Carlton at Metricon this afternoon they are back to a respectable 2-2.

Getting tons from their unheralded types like Powell, who has had a big year to date.
Playing 196cm Caleb Graham or 191cm Chris burgess in the ruck was obviously a real killer last year.

Witts obviously makes a huge difference, with elite stoppage ratings after a first month against Nic Nat / Gawn and Jackson / Preuss / de koning.
B0CF565D-4EED-4E4F-98B0-70E8A5179094.jpeg

Improving our midfield depth has allowed rosas to play his natural position as a small / linking forward in the 2s this year. Last year he was playing up in the stoppages a fair bit and just wasn’t effective. Then found it hard to have any continuity when he came into the 1s for a handful of games. Really happy that he played well. He was probably a bit of an afterthought amongst most suns fans when considering our team make up this year, so if he can continue along the same vein, kicking regular goals and stick in the team for most of the year it will be a big bonus.

Also, Powell may be unheralded by the wider community, but he did finish 2nd in our B+F last year. Obviously recognised inside the club.

They've got a good side. Just need to do it more consistently.
I was trying to temper expectations on our board last week.
Witts in the ruck, with a midfield of Rowell, Miller, Swallow, Anderson, Fiorini and guys like Ellis, Weller who can rack up touches.
Collins is always solid down back and despite missing King, Levi and Chol have been making scoreboard impact.

Listening to Dew at quarter time, I'm just not sure about him as a coach. His comments were very basic. Almost local footy level.

It was the best result of the weekend, though against an overhyped Blues. Nevertheless, take what they can get.

Cooney said Carlton can win the flag. Malthouse said Essendon can win the flag . Just waiting for another "expert" now to come out this week and say Gold Coast can win the flag, put the mozz on them and then they come out and get pumped. Seriously though, great win yesterday. Love seeing Rowell back to full fitness, as tough as nails and great future. Anderson the same. Miller a star. Hope they can push up towards the 8, reckon good times ahead for them.

Last edited:
Noah Anderson Flys under the radar a bit but he torched us yesterday.

A legit star in the making. Hope the Suns can keep him, cause you know Vic clubs will come knocking, bur he is just going to be a legit weapon

They've got a good side. Just need to do it more consistently.
I was trying to temper expectations on our board last week.
Witts in the ruck, with a midfield of Rowell, Miller, Swallow, Anderson, Fiorini and guys like Ellis, Weller who can rack up touches.
Collins is always solid down back and despite missing King, Levi and Chol have been making scoreboard impact.

Listening to Dew at quarter time, I'm just not sure about him as a coach. His comments were very basic. Almost local footy level.
Maybe that's what some players like to hear?

Keep it simple ?

Maybe that's what some players like to hear?

Keep it simple ?
Maybe, just sounded more like very basic knowledge. Wasn't very inspiring and instil much confidence. There must be a reason why a team filled with that much talent keeps underperforming from year to year, with occasional glimpses of brilliance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back