News Damien Hardwick agrees to become the coach of The Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Footy's worst kept secret.

Dimma will be the new Suns coach and I am looking forward to it (let's be frank here, it's a done deal, reckon an in principle agreement was done after GC sacked Dew, if not before)

Dimma will be the new Suns coach and I am looking forward to it (let's be frank here, it's a done deal, reckon an in principle agreement was done after GC sacked Dew, if not before)

It'll be a disaster.

Explain to me how you can trust Hardwick now?
We know what happened with his wife and now he has seemingly lined up his good mates job and made him look like a fool. Why would you trust him?
I’m open to hearing why you can, I just don’t see it.
We don't know what happened with his wife and its none of our business

Bit of a masterstroke by Dimma really. If he sees out the Richmond contract, probably a little bit of shine comes off him if he decides to move on. If we had two bad years outside of the finals with the media circus around him, I don't think he necessarily walks into the job he wants.

It's almost Ross Lyon esque in him moving at just about the peak of his personal value while alll parties at the current club know it's time for a change. Dimma has done the big Victorian club thing so it's not like any other big or smaller Vic clubs would have suited him. It's really interstate or nothing and I just don't seem him being the right fit for any of the other clubs.

Good luck to him, he gave us an era we never thought we would have had. I would be sceptical he could do it again with Gold Coast as everything just clicked at Richmond with the right people in the right positions and a bit of luck. I don't think he's necessarily a master tactician or anything like that but this next period will tell us that for sure.

Interesting how some coaches can't stand the downhill slide

Pagan, Lyon (St.Kilda mk1 version), Hardwick etc.

Others like Clarkson and Simpson happy to rough it out.
Yeah the pressure on those last two to give it up would have been immense (and still would be for Simpson).

Lyon and Hardwick went out when they had the most collateral and didn’t think they could extract any more from the list.

Hardwick made the right call for him.
I don’t begrudge him at all.
I would have been happier if he had perhaps given it away at the end of last year to give another coach a full run at 2023 but it’s semantics in the long term for the club.

I do think he would love the challenge of building a successful culture and winning a flag at a ‘soulless’ club.

But I also think this sort of appointment is riddled with danger. He needs to find that spark again. His last two years he’s been coaching angry when things don’t turn out his way.
Will need to find a new way to connect and build up the group, rather than rely on his current ways and belief in his reputation.

It will be really interesting to watch. I hope he does well there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pagan quit North because he was burnt out, similar to Hardwick quitting Richmond this year.
Gold Coast should go after someone like Josh Carr who is a very good coach and reminds me of Chris Scott back in his assistant coaching days.

No Pagan was given a massive pay cheque from John Elliott and Wes Lofts that he couldn't turn down, and prior to us being stripped of our draft picks and future.

He was not burnt out at all by the time he left NMFC as coach imo.

Looks the Blues have missed out!

Pagan quit North because he was burnt out, similar to Hardwick quitting Richmond this year.
Gold Coast should go after someone like Josh Carr who is a very good coach and reminds me of Chris Scott back in his assistant coaching days.
He quit to join the Blues.

I smell a rat - how can you lose the passion for coaching, yet see the light and rediscover it months later ?
When the going got touch at Richmond he bailed faster than Stevie Wonder folding on laundry day!

They're going to add Walter, Read and Rogers in the draft this year and he could arguably be inheriting the best list in the AFL. Dumb if he doesn't take the job.

Would be hilarious if he couldn't elevate them to finals and it thus becomes a wasted opportunity (but at least he gets a nice sun tan ?).

The whole thing was planned before he left Richmond?
I don't think it was, if that was the case Evans wouldn't be flyin to italy to convince him.

I think Dew was already on thin ice with the Suns even last year he was almost sacked.
Hardwick just happened to have stepped down at the time Suns were looking for a new coach.
No doubt Dimma will coach the Suns though with the money & opportunity he will get it will be hard to say no to.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back