News Damien Hardwick agrees to become the coach of The Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns will play finals in 2024
I remember way back on this forum when Carlton got Pagan as coach and a lot people said we'd be playing finals pretty much straight away or the year after.. Malcolm Blight with St Kilda.. etc etc... Clarko will magically turn North (still up for debate).... they should be playing finals regardless of whom their coach is in 24.

Highest paid coach in the business.

Low pressure environment.

Minimal media coverage.

All the other perks of coaching in a non-football state.

Modest on-field expecations.

Loaded with academy talent for years to come.

Avoids the teardown rebuild at Richmond.

Laughing all the way to the bank.
Distance between him and Mrs Hardwick

The Gold Coast team has to be the best list to have its coach replaced in quite some time. Team has plenty of talent in it and from reports has around 4 or 5 really top quality players from their academy in the 2023 and 2024 drafts. Any coach would be licking their lips to get this list compared to the lists most new coaches get (by new I mean new to the team).

I remember way back on this forum when Carlton got Pagan as coach and a lot people said we'd be playing finals pretty much straight away or the year after.. Malcolm Blight with St Kilda.. etc etc... Clarko will magically turn North (still up for debate).... they should be playing finals regardless of whom their coach is in 24.
Agree, messiah coaches don’t exist. Needs the whole club to be well operated from the board to boot studder. The suns have a great list but so did the giants a few years ago. Those thinking he’s just gonna walk in and win flags… don’t think it will be that easy.

I think it's all clear what really happened now. Tiges got wind of GC's discussions, demanded answers, ultimatum was given. No way Tiges just let him set aside his contract to join the opposition in the same year.

Are you talking about the podcast with Dylan Buckley? He said he had the hunger back but never said I’ll be coaching somewhere next year.
I can't recall where I saw it, was months ago. But it did stick in my mind that he said he'd be coaching somewhere next year. Having said that, he didn't specifically say as a senior coach, or if he was thinking as a senior assistant somewhere like Pyke, Leppa, etc.

I think it's all clear what really happened now. Tiges got wind of GC's discussions, demanded answers, ultimatum was given. No way Tiges just let him set aside his contract to join the opposition in the same year.
I don't really buy that. If he was likely to go to the Suns before leaving Richmond, then why did Evans have to fly to Italy to convince him to join? He couldn't wait a week until Dimma was back in Oz?

I don't really buy that. If he was likely to go to the Suns before leaving Richmond, then why did Evans have to fly to Italy to convince him to join? He couldn't wait a week until Dimma was back in Oz?

I don't buy that a CEO flew to Cinque Terre for that sole reason. ******* beautiful place and perfect time of the year to relax and enjoy.

Dimma could completely balls up the entire thing at GC and he'll still be remembered as a triple premiership Richmond coach.

There's no downside for him whatsoever. If this fails all the mud is going to stick on the Suns. Dimma's teflon.

"If Hardwick can't fix the Gold Coast then no-one can" - Caroline Wilson, July 2024

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma could completely balls up the entire thing at GC and he'll still be remembered as a triple premiership Richmond coach.

There's no downside for him whatsoever. If this fails all the mud is going to stick on the Suns. Dimma's teflon.

"If Hardwick can't fix the Gold Coast then no-one can" - Caroline Wilson, July 2024

Despite the fact that Hardwick took a very very long time before Richmond came good. For much of his time at Richmond the club was, well Richmond. They had a brief period where they were not Richmond and now they are back to being Richmond.

Some people like to go to Italy

Clear as mud.

Despite the fact that Hardwick took a very very long time before Richmond came good. For much of his time at Richmond the club was, well Richmond. They had a brief period where they were not Richmond and now they are back to being Richmond.

Brief periods of not complying to the world's expectations is actually very Richmond.

5 flags and 10 times runner-up in 26 years 1919-1944 after no previous finals wins.

5 flags in 14 seasons 1967-1980 after no finals appearance for 20 years and no finals win for 23 years.

3 flags SO FAR in 6 seasons after 2 finals wins in 35 years and no finals win for 16 years(our most successful down period ever :)).

So you will be horrified to know there are clearly at least 2 more flags to come in this run. And the other bad news for you is our periods of weakness in between our power periods are getting stronger. The last one of those actually contained multiple finals wins. :cool:

Good luck to him, One thing is for sure he won't be holding premiership cups with Gold Coast just a bigger bank account. Both He and Richmond needed change.

He’s inheriting a list and an upcoming draft haul that has every reason to think they have a shot at silverware. It’s all in his own hands now to develop the club culture and establish support staff capable of player development and retention.
Yes Richmond needed change but his burnt out excuse holds no water in hindsight. Pity for the aging tiges that he left you in this hole on the way out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back