Prediction Sonja Hood

Remove this Banner Ad

There has to be more to it than just Noble's inability to coach, he looked okay last season, especially in the second half of the season. There has to be other factors behind a dozen 40+ defeats and hopefully the Walsh review will discover these and we can resolve them (or at least most of them) before the end of the season.
not sure where this view originated but we won 2 of the last 8 games.

Even the games we lost we played well for large parts of those games

Way too simplistic thinking. We have issues seemingly across every line of the club and they most definitely can't all be one man's fault no matter how much power he has. Even then the blame game is only 1/10th of Walsh's job, he has to specifically identify everything that has broken down, then find out why and how these things have broken down, and last, but sure as hell not least, try and suggest a way to fix these things.
Not sure he’s gonna be able to do that being there two days a week for a month.

It’s clear the players don’t respect the way the coach wants them to play.

That’s where it begins and ends.

That’s so near sighted mate. There is more problems than Noble and we need to ensure those problems are cleared up for the next guy, it’s about doing it right not just slapping a band aid on it

I think that Sonja has done the right thing by calling in an outsider to effectively audit the club's performance. Not an easy thing to do because it can expose some home truths about one's own performance as well as others who may be regarded as great contributors or performers who actually aren't once you cut away the emotion. At least this way, the outcome of the report if conducted properly justifies any sackings or people being re-deployed to other positions within the Club, and the Board can then separate themselves from that without making it all look personal.

I don't see her move as a warning shot to any individual, but perhaps it puts the whole club on notice.

That’s so near sighted mate. There is more problems than Noble and we need to ensure those problems are cleared up for the next guy, it’s about doing it right not just slapping a band aid on it
Sure there’s many issues.

The #1 thing being that the onfield performance is nothing short of a disgrace. Both results and type of football being played.

That begins and ends with the coach, who coincidentally, believes we’re doing 80-90% of things to an acceptable standard.

The #1 thing being that the onfield performance is nothing short of a disgrace. Both results and type of football being played.

That begins and ends with the coach, who coincidentally, believes we’re doing 80-90% of things to an acceptable standard.
It doesn’t begin and end with the coach, he is the custodian for sure but simply removing him doesn’t magically fix the other issues. The correct way to do this is a thorough review, this is the correct course of action otherwise we will be typing the same s**t this time next year

Ok, but WHY.

Was he too hard, too soft, too focused on X, was he playing favourites, getting bad advice, were the communication lines ****ed due to internal structure, was too much left to him, were the assistants doing what they were told, were any staff white anting him.

And if so... Do we now need to focus on regaining the faith of the players, do we need to go harder on them and demand higher standards, do we need to completely rebuild our pre season plans, do we have to make amends to specific players or give them better contracts because of damage done, do we need to look at his higher ups and what they've dictated, do we need to change the structure of the coaching department, do we desperately need more staff, are the assistant coaches needing replacing (AGAIN).

Yes, well then... How do we prove things will change, how can we get accountability, do we just leave it to the new coach to design the next pre season from scrap, are these relationships too damaged and we now need to look at getting a return on the trade table, do we need a change of board members or football director, what type of staff do we need, who is available, can we just reshuffle them to save money...

It's just not as simple as saying the coach is a lemon so lets get a new one. God I wish it was that simple.

Yes it's too easy to blame just the Coach. The issues clearly run deeper and that is what hopefully a damn good auditing will surface. It's not just about a band aid. At the moment we are hemorrhaging internally which is always a lot trickier to identify and treat. The club's performance issues are not going to be an easy fix but it has to start somewhere. And a good dose of honesty is probably the best place to begin.

Yes Noble may well be sacked as a result of an audit, but at least it will come from a clear place of fact and not emotion. The performances of the individual coaches being put under the microscope may prove as exciting as the re-deployment of people within the club to key positions of strength, perhaps the auditing of individual player performances, and clearing away some of the deadwood.

Last edited:

If it was as simple as that, then you sack all of the players. You certainly couldn't bring a new coach into a club knowing that the worst list in the AFL has the power to have a coach fired.

Yeh I'll put my hand up, I thought the output in 2021 as a whole projected to Noble being a successful coach with us. I was wrong.
Ages ago on one of the programs King is on (first crack maybe) he did a bunch of analysis on coaches through rebuilds and basically said that rebuilding coaches don't last. And that given that the results this year don't really matter why not try some things to see if they work. Which is all well and good until we do that and it ebbs any confidence we did have and when its gone, it becomes the ethos of exactly how we have played.

Like it doesn't matter. We run out having lost the game before the siren. The coach is gone (now next week, day 1 of preseason whatever) and the players are not buying into anything. confidence is shot and no one is getting a fair representation of anything.

We have churned the list almost entirely for kids in the last 4 years. cut deep, cut deep again, and in all likelihood could cut deep again this year. It'll be interesting to see how many requests for trade we have.

It is overwhelmingly likely now that we will win the spoon. Barring some miracle where the ghost of Ron Casey intervenes and we go from boiled lollies to vintage courage beer. The spoon will be ours, which is monumentally bad. Like epically bad. What is does is in all likelihood is confines us to the bottom 4 the following year as well. Statistically this is by far the most realistic result.

2020 - 17th
2021 - spoon
2022 - spoon
2023 - bottom 4

And that is if we can get our s**t together.

I used to say we were a long way from anywhere, because we were neither good enough nor poor enough for any real movement. Well now we sure as s**t are poor enough. The way we are going cannot continue beyond this year. Write it off, burn it whatever, but there needs to be improvement in 23. even if it is incremental. Even if it is on the back of overpaid FAs that we need to ship in to stem some bleeding.

Sonja has to be strong enough and good enough to see us through this. Because it'll be pure chaos if she isn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say from the Melbourne game (rd 7) to the Sydney game (rd 22) we were competitive in all games, except the rd 10 game against Essendon. We may have had some bad quarters but generally we were keeping the games close (except for Essendon game none of the loses were by more than 6 goals) and keeping teams below 100 points. The final game against Adelaide was disappointing.

I'm not sure what Noble and the coaching staff did in the offseason, but we have regressed horribly almost from the first round.

Ages ago on one of the programs King is on (first crack maybe) he did a bunch of analysis on coaches through rebuilds and basically said that rebuilding coaches don't last. And that given that the results this year don't really matter why not try some things to see if they work. Which is all well and good until we do that and it ebbs any confidence we did have and when its gone, it becomes the ethos of exactly how we have played.

Like it doesn't matter. We run out having lost the game before the siren. The coach is gone (now next week, day 1 of preseason whatever) and the players are not buying into anything. confidence is shot and no one is getting a fair representation of anything.

We have churned the list almost entirely for kids in the last 4 years. cut deep, cut deep again, and in all likelihood could cut deep again this year. It'll be interesting to see how many requests for trade we have.

It is overwhelmingly likely now that we will win the spoon. Barring some miracle where the ghost of Ron Casey intervenes and we go from boiled lollies to vintage courage beer. The spoon will be ours, which is monumentally bad. Like epically bad. What is does is in all likelihood is confines us to the bottom 4 the following year as well. Statistically this is by far the most realistic result.

2020 - 17th
2021 - spoon
2022 - spoon
2023 - bottom 4

And that is if we can get our s**t together.

I used to say we were a long way from anywhere, because we were neither good enough nor poor enough for any real movement. Well now we sure as s**t are poor enough. The way we are going cannot continue beyond this year. Write it off, burn it whatever, but there needs to be improvement in 23. even if it is incremental. Even if it is on the back of overpaid FAs that we need to ship in to stem some bleeding.

Sonja has to be strong enough and good enough to see us through this. Because it'll be pure chaos if she isn't.

Agree with your sentiment but that King grab about rebuilding coaches rarely being the ones to enjoy the fruits of the project almost doesn't apply here.

I think King's logic in this case would've been the side eking out 5 or so wins, oscillating around 2021 best form for the year with a couple of sharp peaks and troughs. Players clearly developing but the side as a whole still a relative easybeat but capable of the odd upset or at least the ability to take a contender to the line. But ultimately a feel that Noble is just getting the team ready for a finisher coach.

But the 2022 year is so completely off the rails I don't think King's logic even applies here. It's not even holding currency as a rebuild year, it's just the football version of aimless strolling around Chapel Street at 3 in the morning looking for a kebab.

It's not that wild a thought, though, TPA.

If I can put it this way: humans share about 85% of the same DNA as mice. But it's that last 15% that makes all the difference.

Yeah I remember going to Fitzroy vs Geelong and the reports were they might call the game off as they couldn’t pay players.

That’s the team we’re only just outperforming.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Would never happen now. VFL did fuggin nothing to help the Roys. They were happy to see them driven into the ground. Made relocation easier.

Also, was there a really convincing win among them? Our form from the second half of the year was overrated. It was better than the first half of the year and better than we are playing now but it was still the form of a very lowly team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back