List Mgmt. SOS's Trade History

Remove this Banner Ad

Tuohy isn't THAT good anyway. Better in a better side, but was starting to show signs of struggling being in a s**t side. I thought he was overrated that year. Played some quite ordinary footy. So if you see it that way it's not that big a loss. Yes it was SOS' one loss but not the end of the world.

Surely SOS's stocks go up now that KJ has been delisted...

Maybe not. Didn't he recruit him to the Giants in the first place, then picked up Ahern with #7. Massive cursed trade all around.

An alternate name mentioned in the earlier discussion was Duncan, but apparently his salary was a significant step up from Smedts.

Away from that, I mentioned that asking for pick 38 from them instead of Smedts would have been fair value, putting Tuohy's worth in the 28-35 range.

Sorry to intrude if unwelcome but duncan was never going-in leadership group and was well in the process at the time of a long term extension (which has now been done) and his partner is the daughter of a former geelong player. He was never on the table.

My understanding was you guys realistically asked us about three players Caddy Smedts and Lang. Caddy was well down the route of wanting to play with his best mate Dion, we were willing to deal on either Smedts or Lang but Lang didn't want to go.

Regardless i think the tuohy and henderson trades have been win-win for both clubs. Even if smedts fails (i hope he succeeds as he does have talent) you basically turned tuohy and a second rounder into marchbank pickett and williamson (three very good players) and i think you will find we will on trade your 2nd this year for either smith or hopper so we will end up with two good players from our first rounder. We get 26 year olds for our window now and you get quality younger players for your window when it opens later.

Like the henderson for mckay trade it's a win-win for both clubs.

I think you will find silvagni has done a really good job for you guys, as an outsider i think he walked into a really poor list but with limited picks has turned it around a lot in 2-3 years which is hard to do. You guys should do well long term.

i think you will find we will on trade your 2nd this year for either smith or hopper
Appreciate what you're trying to say but if you get to walk out of this with Hopper as well it's really not a win/win.

We were lucky enough to recover a lot of value in the GWS trade, but if it denies us Hopper then you've made out like bandits in that Tuohy exchange.

Furthermore, Smedts is in no way equivalent to Lang's value, so if you think the trade was fair in isolation, I'm staggered at the idea of what you would have asked for if he had agreed.

So far I would say we are losing because Tuohy has far out performed the players we picked up and we are probably paying our players an extra $200k. In the future though I would say we will have absolutely smashed it.
The one problem I have with this is comparing what teams do with the picks they trade because we have no idea what the outcome would have been if the other side still had them. If Geelong pick the next Fyfe and Marchbanks career is derailed by injury then it looks like one of the worst trades of all time for Carlton yet it really wasn't. Also if Geelong get Hopper with our second rounder then again it looks like a win for Geelong but Hopper never was even coming to Carlton.

You will always get situations like that, especially for where our club is at the moment.

One thing I will say, SOS is playing the trades perfectly when trading with clubs like Geelong, rather than say a Brisbane. You should try and not trade with clubs around your ladder position, that is where it can really hurt. As Touhy could be retiring, we will be contending, so the hurt factor will be minimized given the likes of Pickett, Marchbank and Polson will be in their prime

You will always get situations like that, especially for where our club is at the moment.

One thing I will say, SOS is playing the trades perfectly when trading with clubs like Geelong, rather than say a Brisbane. You should try and not trade with clubs around your ladder position, that is where it can really hurt. As Touhy could be retiring, we will be contending, so the hurt factor will be minimized given the likes of Pickett, Marchbank and Polson will be in their prime
Yeh you are right there is no exact science in working out if a trade is won or loss when draft picks come into it.

An extreme example would be if we traded say White and our 3rd rounder for Melbourne's 1st. We then pick a bust with the pick 10 that we got from them and they go onto pick a 200 gamer with our third rounder. Melbourne have then won that trade.
I think it's sort of irrelevant who is picked with the draft picks and only the value of the pick is important. (Which is near impossible to measure)
If you on trade that pick for another player then I think that's totally different.

Appreciate what you're trying to say but if you get to walk out of this with Hopper as well it's really not a win/win.

We were lucky enough to recover a lot of value in the GWS trade, but if it denies us Hopper then you've made out like bandits in that Tuohy exchange.

Furthermore, Smedts is in no way equivalent to Lang's value, so if you think the trade was fair in isolation, I'm staggered at the idea of what you would have asked for if he had agreed.

Couple of things on that-wasnt suggesting #21 will get hopper or smith done on it's own we may have to add an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder to it but either way i don't expect we will keep the pick.

Whatever does happen there i don't think it changes a good trade for you guys. Remember that marchbank will probably play 200 games and i am a big fan of pickett and without the tuohy trade you would have either had to trade gibbs to get the currency for marchbank (and i can understand why carlton didn't do that) or use #5 and not get petrevski seton who looks like an absolute jet. I think carlton made the best they could out of the situation and it will work well for you (no doubt we are happy with the outcome). Gws more so than you guys have a lot riding on winning a flag with deledio as they gave up marchbank and pickett for him.

On smedts and lang from where i sit both were first round picks with a lot of talent who have had huge injury issues and not played a heap of first team footy. Lang only has slightly more trade value as he had slightly less injuries than smedts but if he had been traded anywhere then (or is now) i wouldn't expect to get much for him. Not all geelong supporters will agree but i don't see him as having much more trade value than smedts.

Tuohy isn't THAT good anyway. Better in a better side, but was starting to show signs of struggling being in a s**t side. I thought he was overrated that year. Played some quite ordinary footy. So if you see it that way it's not that big a loss. Yes it was SOS' one loss but not the end of the world.
Not according to Slobbo "a great player"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can still hold onto a faint glimmer of hope for Boekhorst.

Was clearly the best attacking mid in the side against Sydney - streets ahead of Thomas/Graham/Kerridge in that regard. Pickett was the only other attacking player who Sydney couldn't really handle - both have leg speed - both need time.

48,66 and 70 for GWS's 2nd this year, are we expecting a kickback?
Assuming equal value between the two drafts (which is apparently not the case, as this one is supposedly weaker for depth), no.

The unadjusted DVI difference is 80 points, or pick 66.

Assuming equal value between the two drafts (which is apparently not the case, as this one is supposedly weaker for depth), no.

The unadjusted DVI difference is 80 points, or pick 66.

Personally i agree with you but ericpascoe said at the time we did Hawthorn a favour and they know it...and that we were confident they would 'help us' in a similar fashion when required...eg if we needed help getting Kelly to Carlton like them and O'Meara. And ericpascoe is basically never wrong.

Personally i agree with you but ericpascoe said at the time we did Hawthorn a favour and they know it...and that we were confident they would 'help us' in a similar fashion when required...eg if we needed help getting Kelly to Carlton like them and O'Meara. And ericpascoe is basically never wrong.
Currying favour? I agree.

Expectation? No.

Sorry to intrude if unwelcome but duncan was never going-in leadership group and was well in the process at the time of a long term extension (which has now been done) and his partner is the daughter of a former geelong player. He was never on the table.

My understanding was you guys realistically asked us about three players Caddy Smedts and Lang. Caddy was well down the route of wanting to play with his best mate Dion, we were willing to deal on either Smedts or Lang but Lang didn't want to go.

Regardless i think the tuohy and henderson trades have been win-win for both clubs. Even if smedts fails (i hope he succeeds as he does have talent) you basically turned tuohy and a second rounder into marchbank pickett and williamson (three very good players) and i think you will find we will on trade your 2nd this year for either smith or hopper so we will end up with two good players from our first rounder. We get 26 year olds for our window now and you get quality younger players for your window when it opens later.

Like the henderson for mckay trade it's a win-win for both clubs.

I think you will find silvagni has done a really good job for you guys, as an outsider i think he walked into a really poor list but with limited picks has turned it around a lot in 2-3 years which is hard to do. You guys should do well long term.
Takes an outsider to just about get it right. I think it was polson not williamson

What hasn't been considered is that SOS has done all this with an eye to the future and having enough cash to invest in a "war chest" when needed.

The current list has, without a doubt, been an upgrade. I'm rapt with his work to this point and #insoswetrust over the next few years.

Is there a chance that he will make the best administrator of the 21st century team?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've just gone through out DRAFT history since 2002 (picked that as a starting point as it's the year we drafted Simmo who is still on our list).

Collectively SOS has outperformed the collective troika of Rogers/Hughes/O'Sullivan by 140% since taking the reins. It has to be pointed out though that it's still too early to tell if some of SOS's recruits would fall into my "Fail" category, so I can only assume that the current 140% will drop over time. It's still a phenomenal turnaround.

Now that 140% is just based on how I rate the actual players on a 5/4/3/2/1 basis. It's all ridiculously subjective, but it was a fun way to kill half an hour.

Was clearly the best attacking mid in the side against Sydney - streets ahead of Thomas/Graham/Kerridge in that regard. Pickett was the only other attacking player who Sydney couldn't really handle - both have leg speed - both need time.
Pickett = mongrel
Boekhorst =

care to elaborate, JaB?

Pickett = mongrel
Boekhorst =

care to elaborate, JaB?

Just for you..

Pickett could develop into a genuine match winning game breaker - he needs to build his body confidence up but is naturally blessed with rare burst running ability - I suspect he will also develop some genuine mongrel as he gets better at reading the play and anticipating who he can chase down and humiliate.

Boeky is a different cat - his last few weeks of "play for contract" game time have been pretty good - not a mongrel type though.

With the start of the delistings and the upcoming player movement, I will update the OP come end of trade period
Arr0w

Lots of ground to cover with SOS trading almost everything except our actual first round picks ...

So out Gibbs, Pick 77, our 2018 second and third round Picks
In Picks 10, (16) and 73, Adelaide’s 2018 second round Pick

Out Picks (16), 40
In Picks (28), 30 and Dogs’ 2018 second round Pick

Out Pick (28)
In Kennedy

In Lang, Geelong’s 2018 fourth round Pick
Out Pick 58, our 2018 fourth round Pick

Out Pick 95
In Lobbe

I have listed them side by side (I will amend it to make it clearer) what we lost in terms of players, picks (how those picks were used at other clubs) vs what we gained.

I have not added the players that we selected at the draft, with our original picks such as Weitering

SOS has given you plenty for this year and next year !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back