Star Wars Star Wars - General Discussion / Legends / Comics

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno what I did last night but literally everyone has the shits with me today. Online, multiple forums, just got permanent banned on one for expressing an opinion, and real life people snapping at me, strangers yelling and giving the finger etc.

:(

Maybe grow some morals.

;)

By far my favourite and also kinda underrated I reckon

1005585.jpg

The Thrawn trilogy is still the standard bearer, for mine. The first Darth Maul novel was surprisingly good too, if I recall. And yes, Shadows of the Empire was very good and does seem to be underrated.

Haven't actually read Thrawn, but it does seem to be rated at number 1. The the Yuzan Vong? Series as number 2. The one's with Mara Jade possibly number 3...

I'm making this list based on what I've gathered reading about the old EU, having not dipped me toe in to it too much. I guess I got most of my EU lore from video games.

Haven't actually read Thrawn, but it does seem to be rated at number 1. The the Yuzan Vong? Series as number 2. The one's with Mara Jade possibly number 3...

I'm making this list based on what I've gathered reading about the old EU, having not dipped me toe in to it too much. I guess I got most of my EU lore from video games.
Anything by Timothy Zahn is assured quality but starting with the Thrawn trilogy. The Darth Maul novels are quite good, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader was pretty good too, I think. Coruscant Nights is about the best series involving new characters (ended up with four in the series).

The problem I found with the Vong series (and any of the other series) is you need to read all of them to reach the conclusion and there is some dross in the mix.

The AC Crispin Han Solo trilogy and X-Wing series were great reads.

Darth Bane series as well.

Coruscant Nights ended up being disappointing for me and never reached its intended heights. Probably because Reaves got sick around the 2nd and 3rd books and the other author took the series in a different direction.

I gave up on the New Jedi Order during the 4th book as they were being released. I knew they would end up disastrous for Star Wars in the long run.

The Thrawn trilogy is still the standard bearer, for mine. The first Darth Maul novel was surprisingly good too, if I recall. And yes, Shadows of the Empire was very good and does seem to be underrated.

Never understand why books like Shadows got relegated to Legends when it could be fit back into the canon without impacting anything at all, and is a small bit of goodwill to the fans who read the books. Could also put those Darth Maul books back in. It's only really the post-ROTJ that needed to change.

Darth Bane trilogy is also fantastic.

Never understand why books like Shadows got relegated to Legends when it could be fit back into the canon without impacting anything at all, and is a small bit of goodwill to the fans who read the books. Could also put those Darth Maul books back in. It's only really the post-ROTJ that needed to change.

Darth Bane trilogy is also fantastic.
It would have been too difficult to cherry pick novels that were canon. Easier just to start with a clean slate. Really doesn't matter to me, if a book makes sense in context of the movies, then I will read it as if it is canon. I'm currently working slowly through Fate of the Jedi, which obviously doesn't fit into the movies any more, but doesn't bother me.

And yes, the Bane novels were pretty good too. Maybe we should start a list of what to avoid, like to Jedi Academy series or Black Fleet Crisis.

It would have been too difficult to cherry pick novels that were canon. Easier just to start with a clean slate. Really doesn't matter to me, if a book makes sense in context of the movies, then I will read it as if it is canon. I'm currently working slowly through Fate of the Jedi, which obviously doesn't fit into the movies any more, but doesn't bother me.

And yes, the Bane novels were pretty good too. Maybe we should start a list of what to avoid, like to Jedi Academy series or Black Fleet Crisis.

Basically most things written pre-2000 can be avoided except the Thrawn Novels, I,Jedi, X-Wing, and Shadows of the Empire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jedi Academy I thought was dumb fun in my teens. I wouldn't defend them now lol. Even Darksaber I liked, felt like a TV crossover episode with all these characters from previous books.

Blackfleet crisis is fascinating on reflection. Terrible but fascinating in how bad it is. You know a story is in trouble when the most interesting parts involve Lando, Lobot, Artoo and 3PO isolated on an empty spaceship!

Jedi Academy I thought was dumb fun in my teens. I wouldn't defend them now lol. Even Darksaber I liked, felt like a TV crossover episode with all these characters from previous books.

Blackfleet crisis is fascinating on reflection. Terrible but fascinating in how bad it is. You know a story is in trouble when the most interesting parts involve Lando, Lobot, Artoo and 3PO isolated on an empty spaceship!
I was 18-20 when they came out and recognised immediately how crap Kevin J Anderson was. No subtlety to his writing and always used the crutch of a bigger super weapon than begore.

Crystal Star and Children of the Jedi were pretty dire too.

Lol missed this post.

Most of these books I read as a kid under the age of ten/eleven so I enjoyed them, but they don't hold up now.

I also don't quite think it's tough to fit some back in. Too late now though.

I was 18-20 when they came out and recognised immediately how crap Kevin J Anderson was. No subtlety to his writing and always used the crutch of a bigger super weapon than begore.

Yeah he was more suited to those young adult books he produced a bit later.

Lol missed this post.

Most of these books I read as a kid under the age of ten/eleven so I enjoyed them, but they don't hold up now.

I also don't quite think it's tough to fit some back in. Too late now though.

As Jack said it gives Disney a clean slate. They may bring Shadows of the Empire back in a different story structure to how it used to play out, a bit like they did with Thrawn. The Black Sun and Falleen originated from there so its possible. I'd like to see a CGI movie out of it.

Yeah he was more suited to those young adult books he produced a bit later.

As Jack said it gives Disney a clean slate. They may bring Shadows of the Empire back in a different story structure to how it used to play out, a bit like they did with Thrawn. The Black Sun and Falleen originated from there so its possible. I'd like to see a CGI movie out of it.

But e.g. Bane novels etc. would all fit in without having any sort of impact on canon. Granted they may well want to make movies there but it just feels like such a waste of brilliant material. I really hope they rely on these works and adapt them for movies - obviously changing things where necessary.

Speaking of good SW authors....

James Luceno

Luceno, Zahn, Stover, Allston (RIP :(), Grey are probably my pick. Might have missed one or two good ones. Denning can be good on his day.

I'm actually surprised they haven't gone back to reliable good authors from the EU and traded on their name, and instead brought in s**t like Wendig.

I've always wanted to see a CGI movie of the Thrawn trilogy. While that is now not possible, I wonder what the cost/benefit would be if CGI movies alongside the live action ones. Would allow them to tell stories of Luke, Han and Leis again.

But e.g. Bane novels etc. would all fit in without having any sort of impact on canon. Granted they may well want to make movies there but it just feels like such a waste of brilliant material. I really hope they rely on these works and adapt them for movies - obviously changing things where necessary.
There will be some that stay relevant and some that won't. It's just too tricky to retain some and jettison others. They don't want to be locked into anything. But I don't see it as a waste. I enjoyed the books and we now have two alternative timelines to enjoy.

I've always wanted to see a CGI movie of the Thrawn trilogy. While that is now not possible, I wonder what the cost/benefit would be if CGI movies alongside the live action ones. Would allow them to tell stories of Luke, Han and Leis again.

There will be some that stay relevant and some that won't. It's just too tricky to retain some and jettison others. They don't want to be locked into anything. But I don't see it as a waste. I enjoyed the books and we now have two alternative timelines to enjoy.

He's been pretty good in Rebels.

I haven't enjoyed too many of the books to be honest, a lot have been hit and miss.

Luceno, Zahn, Stover, Allston (RIP :(), Grey are probably my pick. Might have missed one or two good ones. Denning can be good on his day.

I'm actually surprised they haven't gone back to reliable good authors from the EU and traded on their name, and instead brought in s**t like Wendig.
Luceno has written two, Zahn, Golden and Jackson Miller one each. Wendig is the only truly new author, I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back