Star Wars Star Wars - General Discussion / Legends / Comics

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I always preferred the original version of that scene with Palpatine and Vader. The way the original actor said “the son of Skywalker….”, got me everytime.

I like that they aren't doing a season 2 of Tales of the Jedi but rather going anthology like the old 90s books (I'm sure the title of the show is an intentional reference).

The Mandalorian & Grogu has also confirmed May 22, 2026 as its release date.

I am assuming this will be something of a standalone feature and not include elements of Ahsoka, Skeleton Crew etc. I wonder where that leaves Filoni's film given that he was supposed to be part of the shared universe building to that movie. Maybe there will still be a season 4 after all or he will be incorporated in some way into one of those shows ahead of the film.

The Mandalorian & Grogu has also confirmed May 22, 2026 as its release date.

I am assuming this will be something of a standalone feature and not include elements of Ahsoka, Skeleton Crew etc. I wonder where that leaves Filoni's film given that he was supposed to be part of the shared universe building to that movie. Maybe there will still be a season 4 after all or he will be incorporated in some way into one of those shows ahead of the film.
Interesting.

I assume differently, that basically this year will be Skeleton Crew and the Acolyte, next year Ahsoka and Andor, and 2026 S4 of Mando as a lead in to the Mando film. Thought they were reducing S4 to 6 episodes, with the movie basically being episodes 7-8 of S4.

Interesting.

I assume differently, that basically this year will be Skeleton Crew and the Acolyte, next year Ahsoka and Andor, and 2026 S4 of Mando as a lead in to the Mando film. Thought they were reducing S4 to 6 episodes, with the movie basically being episodes 7-8 of S4.
The Mandalorian & Grogu will be the first Star Wars movie in seven years and a lot is riding on it in terms of Star Wars’ cinematic future. There is no way they saddle it with mountains of history and lore.

They know a lot of people saw the Mandalorian season one, they know Baby Yoda was a pop culture success, they also know less people watched the other series. I’d be betting dollars to doughnuts it’s not going to be a gateway episode to their Disney + content.

And the guy that wears the armour says the movie is on and there’s no word on season 4.

The Mandalorian & Grogu will be the first Star Wars movie in seven years and a lot is riding on it in terms of Star Wars’ cinematic future. There is no way they saddle it with mountains of history and lore.

They know a lot of people saw the Mandalorian season one, they know Baby Yoda was a pop culture success, they also know less people watched the other series. I’d be betting dollars to doughnuts it’s not going to be a gateway episode to their Disney + content.

And the guy that wears the armour says the movie is on and there’s no word on season 4.
I just don't get how it can have nothing to do with what we've already seen, though. What on earth else could it be about? Mando and Grogu's side adventure between S2 and S3 or S1 and S2?

Or just something fun that happens after S3 but before S4? Like an Indiana Jones type adventure flick.

I just don't get how it can have nothing to do with what we've already seen, though. What on earth else could it be about? Mando and Grogu's side adventure between S2 and S3 or S1 and S2?

Or just something fun that happens after S3 but before S4? Like an Indiana Jones type adventure flick.
I think it will be a standalone adventure set after S3. Maybe exploring Grogu's origins. They will already have to establish where Mando is in the galaxy for those that didn't hang around for seasons 2 and 3, no way can I see them bringing in Thrawn, Ahsoka etc, which would require people to have watched hours of TV content. This is the movie that are hoping will relaunch Star Wars in cinemas to the casual fan, it has to be accessible to everyone.

As for S4, I wouldn't hold out hopes. Pascal has already partly checked out. I reckon if it's a big success, there might be a sequel, but other than that, I would expect him to maybe show up as a cameo in Ahsoka and then in Filoni's film.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it will be a standalone adventure set after S3. Maybe exploring Grogu's origins. They will already have to establish where Mando is in the galaxy for those that didn't hang around for seasons 2 and 3, no way can I see them bringing in Thrawn, Ahsoka etc, which would require people to have watched hours of TV content. This is the movie that are hoping will relaunch Star Wars in cinemas to the casual fan, it has to be accessible to everyone.

As for S4, I wouldn't hold out hopes. Pascal has already partly checked out. I reckon if it's a big success, there might be a sequel, but other than that, I would expect him to maybe show up as a cameo in Ahsoka and then in Filoni's film.

Nah I could definitely see Thrawn in it as the antagonist, he's pretty well known and could be used without linking too heavily to Ahsoka.

Nah I could definitely see Thrawn in it as the antagonist, he's pretty well known and could be used without linking too heavily to Ahsoka.
I just don't think he's that well known to casual cinema-goers. Plus, it would require Thrawn to get away, depriving the film of a clear finale, or undercut Filoni's film. Mando and Baby Yoda are well known, I think it has to be all about them. Some sort of adventure to find Grogu's home planet would have broad appeal and provide a finale to their story if there's no season 4.

I just don't think he's that well known to casual cinema-goers. Plus, it would require Thrawn to get away, depriving the film of a clear finale, or undercut Filoni's film. Mando and Baby Yoda are well known, I think it has to be all about them. Some sort of adventure to find Grogu's home planet would have broad appeal and provide a finale to their story if there's no season 4.

As opposed to all the other SW villains they've used in Rogue 1, Solo and the sequel trilogy? As opposed to (presumably) a brand new villain? Just don't really know how Thrawn is the lesser known alternative.

As opposed to all the other SW villains they've used in Rogue 1, Solo and the sequel trilogy? As opposed to (presumably) a brand new villain? Just don't really know how Thrawn is the lesser known alternative.
I don't see them bringing Thrawn in as a 'well-known antagonist', as you described him, because I don't think he's well enough known to interest casual cinema-goers. Mando and Baby Yoda are the well known characters, a new villain like in R1 (Krennic) or Solo (Vos) comes with no baggage, no need to connect to TV shows, no need to protect for future shows etc. Just a good standalone movie to win over lost fans.

Because, ultimately, that's who this movie is for. Anyone who is watching Ahsoka and Skeleton Crew is watching this anyway. It's the ones that aren't they need to win back.

Last edited:
Pascal can check out as much as he wants, was there even a scene with Mando not wearing a helmet in season 3? The show can continue without him.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Interesting article questioning whether the five Star Wars movies alone have paid back the investment in Star Wars by Disney (short answer: no). Because the movies were made in the UK, they have to make detailed financial reports, which gives much more info than is usually available. That said, it has some fundamental flaws. It splits profits 50/50, however Disney have a lot more pull and often front load their share, so 60/40 would probably be more likely. It also doesn't include rentals and DVD sales, which are quite significant (a different site lists TFA as having made almost $200m in US DVD sales alone, not rental or international), or merchandise associated with the movies. On the flip side, it doesn't include marketing costs, which are also substantial.

The headline figure they claim is that the films have generated $1.2b in profit on a $4b investment. Probably not close to the real figurebut as close as we are likely to see calculated given how close they keep their cards to their chest.

There is, of course, no figures on how much the movies made through Disney + subscriptions, how profitable the TV shows are etc.

Last edited:
Interesting article questioning whether the five Star Wars movies alone have paid back the investment in Star Wars by Disney (short answer: no). Because the movies were made in the UK, they have to make detailed financial reports, which gives much more info than is usually available. That said, it has some fundamental flaws. It splits profits 50/50, however Disney have a lot more pull and often front load their share, so 60/40 would probably be more likely. It also doesn't include rentals and DVD sales, which are quite significant (a different site lists TFA as having made almost $200m in US DVD sales alone, not rental or international), or merchandise associated with the movies. On the flip side, it doesn't include marketing costs, which are also substantial.

The headline figure they claim is that the films have generated $1.2b in profit on a $4b investment. Probably not close to the real figurebut as close as we are likely to see calculated given how close they keep their cards to their chest.

There is, of course, no figures on how much the movies made through Disney + subscriptions, how profitable the TV shows are etc.

Hm I seem to remember a few of us suggesting this and you rubbishing the notion.

Side note, I found a fan edit of Revenge of the Sith that weaves in the last four eps of The Clone Wars and the pilot of Bad Batch (not up to that bit yet) plus the deleted scenes around the birth of the Rebellion. Really enjoying it just as a way of watching all that content in chronological order. Not to retread the same old discussion, but it also really shows how, medium aside, the Clone Wars content really does stand side by side with the live action.

Hm I seem to remember a few of us suggesting this and you rubbishing the notion.
I said they had made more than $4b from the movies (not accounting for costs) after less than a decade and would be happy with that and that there was every chance they had made their money back incorporating everything else (I think people underestimate just how much Star Wars merchandise is sold, one site estimates it at $5-7b in a movie year, which means they probably got their return on investment after two years).

That said, I wasn't including the theme park in that because that's a whole other level of investment that's impossible to calculate.

Reading some side figures about DVD sales ($200m in the US alone for TFA, $100m for TLJ, even $50m for Solo) makes me think the movies come closer to paying it off than not. The five movies generated almost $550m in DVD sales in the US alone, even if they did half of that internationally, that's another $750m-$800m without knowing the costs of making DVDs. Then you have the rentals. Reckon it's easily over $2b in profit.

I said they had made more than $4b from the movies (not accounting for costs) after less than a decade and would be happy with that and that there was every chance they had made their money back incorporating everything else (I think people underestimate just how much Star Wars merchandise is sold, one site estimates it at $5-7b in a movie year, which means they probably got their return on investment after two years).

That said, I wasn't including the theme park in that because that's a whole other level of investment that's impossible to calculate.

Reading some side figures about DVD sales ($200m in the US alone for TFA, $100m for TLJ, even $50m for Solo) makes me think the movies come closer to paying it off than not. The five movies generated almost $550m in DVD sales in the US alone, even if they did half of that internationally, that's another $750m-$800m without knowing the costs of making DVDs. Then you have the rentals. Reckon it's easily over $2b in profit.

Not accounting for costs is kind of a dumb way to approach any conversation on profit as it's half the story. :tearsofjoy:

Not accounting for costs is kind of a dumb way to approach any conversation on profit as it's half the story. :tearsofjoy:
Sure, if you ignore all the other context provided, such as merchandising, the fact they were just five movies and six years into a property they own forever. They were likely profitable the year TFA came out thanks to $7b in merchandise sales, everything else is a bonus.

I still wonder why Star Wars and Marvel cost $4b and Pixar $7.4b. Maybe they thought being kids movies, they'd generate more merchandise but it feels like Star Wars and Marvel both outperform Pixar on the front now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back